How many of you guys using SAFARI 32-bit because of Adobe PDF plugin

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ninewaters, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ninewaters macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I just realised this morning that, to read my statements online, I needed Adobe PDF plugin, and guess what, it only supports 32 bit Safari, instead of the default 64 bit, can apple please buy over Adobe and sack the management and get us the 64 bit support.

The issue has been highlighted since September 2009, and Adobe workaround is to manually tick the 32 bit support option in Get Info, it is obviously a slap to mac users.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Safari's built-in pdf reader doesn't work for you?

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Safari in 64 bit mode has never failed to open a PDF for me

I have not had any problems with this. This includes password and content protected files. I would try removing the plug-in, use the native functions in Safari and see what happens.

HTH

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Same here.
    Statements don't appear until I switch to 32 bit.
    I've wanted apple to buy Adobe for years.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've also never had trouble opening any PDF on OS X, using 64-bit Safari or otherwise. I've never needed to install anything to do it, either.

As for Apple buying Adobe, Apple has niether the kind of money nor power needed to buy a company that size.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I've had little to no problems with safari's built in PDF browser

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is so not true. Apple may have many reasons not to buy Adobe. Lack of resources, however, is not one of them. Companies buy other companies that are larger than themselves. Apple, with a market capitalization greater than Walmart, is much larger than Adobe. That is not required, but it impeaches the contention that Adobe is too big for Apple to take over.

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Your pdfs will load a lot faster if you uninstall Adobe reader and the reader plugin.

9. ninewaters thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I used them for my bank statements, as far as I know, Citibank is one of the culprit for the Adobe pdf plugins and I do believe that alot of sensitive banking statements are still require Adobe pdf specifically I guess for security issues.

As far as I am concerned, there are at least 3 local banks in my country that requires Adobe PDF plugins. So it had become a must-haves.

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

Hard to believe that the system would actually check for Adobe PDF plugin to be honest. If it does so, then you should contact Citibank and explain that it sucks.

Otherwise I see absolutely no reason why anyone would want to use Adobe's abortion on OSX instead of Preview.