How many of You Have Bought a Refurbished Macbook or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baba Ganoush, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

I am just wondering from those of you who have purchased a refurbished macbook/pro how the quality of those are. Do they run like brand new? Is there anything that separates them from a brand new macbook or MBP besides the price?

2. Koconut macrumors newbie

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I have bought a refurb MPB. Ran like it was brand new. No scratches or bumps or deformities on case. Only difference was the brown box instead of the normal box.

Highly recommended.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The only thing distinguishing a refurbished computer from a new one will be the box it comes in.

5. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

I have another question. Can you get a education discount on refurbished macbooks?

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No. However, in the US, the refurb discounts are almost always better than the edu discounts.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Absolutely, at least from what I've seen. Two of my buddies purchased a MB and MBP refurb, I couldn't tell the difference! No scratches, blemishes or any hardware issues!

8. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. :cool:

9. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I just purchased a Macbook 2.0, 80gig, 2/512 ram. It shipped yesterday. This is for my son to use at school. I'll let you know how it goes. I paid $899 plus tax for it.

10. iJerald macrumors newbie

I bought BlackBook refurbished. I couldn't be any happier. No scratches what so ever. With the money I saved from not buying a brand new one at retail price, I purchased AppleCare, an inCase sleeve, and upgraded RAM from 512 to 2GB.

The only problem I ran into was my battery died after 5 months. It just stopped charging. Thank God I had AppleCare. They shipped me a new battery next day.

I highly recommend refurbed MacBooks. You could purchase extras with the money you save.

11. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

:eek: Hot Damn! Thats a sweet deal! Yes please let me know your experience when you get it :D

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I am probably going to order a refurb black 2.2GHz MacBook in the next week or so.

As for worries over scratches or any other external wear and tear, I believe all Apple refurbs are given an all-new exterior, so they always look brand new.

13. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

How much was your blackbook? If i was going to purchase one it would be a refurb blackbook. Is it a santa rosa chipset? I am guessing it wasnt since you upgraded from 512 ram.

14. danny_w macrumors 601

I purchased my blackbook as a refurb for $1049 after the then-next gen came out. It has been perfect in every respect, and the $450 savings was fantastic!

15. ewxlt macrumors regular

Refurb BlackBook delivered 1/24.

Looks immaculate, just like a brand new one.

Came in brown box instead of the bling box.

Very happy.

16. ewxlt macrumors regular

Oh yeah, it's 2.2MHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB, Superdrive, glossy screen.

17. vixapphire macrumors 6502

I buy all refurb. Dual 2.0 G5 Powermac has been great the past 5 years. iMac G5 bigscreen has been a phenomenal performer. CoreDuo MBP has been wonderful, and before that the TiBook 867 G4 was killer.

All of the foregoing were blemish-free, came with all the stuff you get in a new box, and really, there's nothing like saving that kind of money. Nothing.

+1 for "highly recommended". It's the only way to fly!

v

18. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

This is what I was looking for! Someone who buys all their macs refurbished. Does anyone else do this?

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Frankly, I'll never buy a new Apple product again.

20. tenhead macrumors regular

wow,is this true? Can anyone confirm this.

21. iJerald macrumors newbie

I purchased mine a while back. I believe mine is 1st Gen, max RAM I could put in is 2GB. My total was around $1200 with AppleCare.

22. ewxlt macrumors regular

While I've only made 1 refurb purchase. I'll not be purchasing new again. I'll be purchasing a 17" MBP once the update hits. I'll also wait till there's a refurb of it.

23. JTag macrumors newbie

Bought a refurb Macbook. Absolutely no problems at all. Saved $200. Highly recommended.

24. mountainman macrumors member

mountainman

Absolutely

Bought a refurb MBP 2.4 17" HD. It has worked flawlessly and physically looks just like a new one. I would highly recommend them.

25. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

You guys are not making me regret my decision of buying a new MBP.:D I feel like I wasted money I couldve saved.:eek: