Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
They have bad viewing angles and don't view true colors, I have a 24" 2.8GHz imac, the 20" 2.4Ghz is going to be bought today, hence its in bold, as a matter of fact, we're leaving now to go get it and other goodies from the :apple: Store :D:D

Highway61

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Here are the computers I've owned:

macclassicii.jpg

g3aio.gif

emac.jpg

imac1.jpg

I will always feel rhapsodic about the Mac Classic II--you know how it is: your first computer/ your first Apple--but this iMac 20", even with all the accusations that have been made against its display, is clearly an improvement over its predecessors.

The complaints about the iMac display kept me from buying a new Mac for a while.
My sense, now, is that a great deal of the negativity that is expressed about the iMac display is the result of people forgetting their--and their Macs'--more humble beginnings.

I truly believe that you'll very much enjoy the 20" imac.

hewcardpacklet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Montreal Canada
I bought the iMac 20" in August 2007. It is by far my best home computer ever, partly because it is my first mac. The glossy screen is gorgeous, unless there is a window behind your chair. The colors are vibrant, the blacks are very black. It is also a very silent machine, even when using it for heavy tasks. And it looks good on my desk.

I liked it so much, that I threw away my old dell laptop and just bought a macbook so my home is all mac.

Just wait a few weeks to buy it, it is due for an upgrade.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My 20" iMac has been the best desktop I have ever purchased. The viewing angles are excellent, the colors amazing and I never ever hear any fans running in this machine. I have had only one problem with this 20" iMac, it wouldn't play a DVD when my 7 month old MBP would.

Go ahead and buy one, you won't regret it, I guarantee it!

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Don't listen to the naysayers and complainers. It's a great machine with a more than adequate--I'd even say gorgeous--display.

I totally agree, but you better watch out, if the naysayers are watching you are about to get thumped. They will tell you all about how your opinion should be that these screens are not good enough for you. Funny how they know that about you, isn't it? :D

shanshor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
cool. cool. i will just wait for the new ones to come out (i hope they come before the June event, as i dont and wont wait that long)

my theory is they will ditch the 20 inch display and add a 30 inch. it has been the pattern for a while with the imacs. well they may not take away the 20, but will add a 30

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of like looking for stuck pixels, if you download the check program -- you are likely to keep noticing the pixel for a long time.

Read the stuff on the viewing angle and it is likely to yank you off.

Otherwise, for an entry level machine (which the 20" is now) the machine is fine.

Calibrate the display and alter the contrast and the display is rather nice.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I've seen the new 20" Alu models at the Apple Store and the viewing angle isn't great, but i'm sure that can be cured with a simple calibration. As a matter of fact, the displays used in the 20" models are very similar to the one used in my last generation 17" C2D iMac, with the exception of size and the glossy coating. I've never had any issues with my iMac display, and the graininess complaints seem to have died down vs. 3 or 4 months ago. However, I don't believe any of the new iMac's LCD displays can compare to the 17" CRT on my eMac.

Go for the 20" iMac. They're great machines, and even greater bargains.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
well we got the 20" 2.4, compared to my 24" 2.8, the 20" just doesnt have "real" colors, IMO, compared to my imac, and the viewing angle isnt great. but the 20" is a great computer, i didn't think it would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.