How many of you held off from purchasing an iPhone 4 because of antenna problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Jul 18, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 could've been the best smartphone ever. I would have bought one blindfolded.
    The antenna completely ruins it! :eek: Now i'm gonna wait for a confirmation about fixed versions from iFixIt or other blogs.

Any else felt the same way?

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I DID feel this way. And I do still feel like it "ruins" the phone in a way, but only because the rest of the phone is so damned awesome. I think that's what people are so in a spin about... is the phone is so phenomenal, but this one lousy thing had to taint it. It's like dating the perfect girl and then finding out something bad about her you just can't get passed.

In any case, at this point, I think I'm over it, and I'm going to give the iPhone 4 a try anyway. I mean, I have 30 days to evaluate it. If it's just not working out, I bring it back, just like The Antenna Song says. No harm, no foul. For me, if the case remedies the antenna issue, I'm good. The iPhone 4 looks awesome with no case but there's no way I'm gonna be carrying that thing around in my pocket everyday without a case.

The bigger issue I had a problem with was the proximity sensor. Before the press conf, a mention of that was on my "must" list. And I honestly didn't think Steve Jobs was going to mention it, but he did, and I was very pleased about it.

Between him saying they're working on the prox. sensor, and using a case to alleviate the antenna issue. That's good enough for me. And again, I have 30 days to work with this device and see if it's going to work the way I want it to.

As I was saying, I feel the rest of the phones features and just the overall usage experience is too damn cool to not give it a shot.

3. Phokus macrumors regular

I'm still on my Iphone 2G... i'm going to buy an android. I might get my SO an iphone 4 so we can switch between them and get the best of both worlds... although i'm going to have to make my own patch on that weak spot on the antenna.

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I want the iPhone 4, but I won't buy it and support the product on principle. I think it's a great device, but the antenna design is an obvious defect - whether it not if would affect me in daily use. I also can't support Apple's response at all.

5. quotison macrumors member

How do you buy anything if you won't buy something with a defect "on principle"?

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

I've been holding out for quite sometime now but I don't think the antenna issue.would be a big deal I think it's being blown out of proportion just cause it's apple .. Anyhow i just placed a order for mine with the apple store and they said they ll get some really soon ..can't wait!!!

7. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

What do u want apple to do? Design a new iPhone ? Do u know that the major issue with the antenna is because of the FCC regulations which stipulate that u should have the antenna at the base of the device..

8. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

I'm holding out because:

1. the antenna.
    2. IOS 4.x isn't jail broken yet. (<- this is the more important issue to me)

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

No, that's not correct.

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am a holdout. I really want a 4. My 3G seems to be having problems with the new operating system (and or it's just getting old). I was set to get a 4 until all the antennae discussion came up. Still might, but might hold until Sept. to see if there is an actual change or just the end of the bumper program.

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

While the wording may be incorrect he is absolutely correct that the issue comes down to the FCC. They require the SAR rating to be a certain amount and to comply with that many phone companies are having to move the antenna to the bottom of the phone.

12. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I would have bought the i4 by now if it wasn't for the antennae and the issue with proximity sensor. I'm going to be waiting till october and see how things are going with a fix.

I'm also contemplating waiting till next june/july to see if theres a hardware fix for the antennae.

I currently have the 3Gs, and it has kept me very happy since day 1.

13. cperchard macrumors 6502a

the iphone 4 is the best phone ever period......get one.....they are awesome.

14. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

ill second that. stop whining. put a case or a skin on the freaking antenna if youre so worried about it. people are so dumb sometimes.

15. thales macrumors member

I'm holding out because I'm reasonably certain Apple will make minor antennae changes or apply some sort of coating.

Even if I knew I would never experience signal loss or dropped calls with the current iP4, simply knowing that I had a "pre-fix" version would be in the back of my mind and I'd be worried about resale value.

I'm not an impulsive "gotta have it on day one" type person. That's why I never moved from the 3G to 3GS. So I can wait another month or two to see what happens with antennagate.

16. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i think its funny how so many ppl are so stupid that they cant hold the phone without touching that 1 sensitive area which is like half a centremetre AT MOST......its sick......the phone is awesome and i've never had a dropped call....in fact.....i think the actual phone calls i've made have been clearer than my previous 2 phones (samsung i8910 and nokia n95 8 gig)

17. thales macrumors member

:rolleyes:

Someone is still in the "anger" stage of the grief cycle.

18. cperchard macrumors 6502a

edited....sorry i was just venting!

19. thales macrumors member

I'm not so sure "stupid" is an appreciable improvement. It's not that we're so dumb that we can't avoid the problem area. It's the fact that I've never had to hold a mobile phone a certain way in order for it to operate... and I don't intend to. Again, it's more of a mental thing, or perceived flaw. Real-world implications are, admittedly, trivial. But that's not the point.

20. cperchard macrumors 6502a

but then you dont actually have one do you?? i hold mine in the supposed death grip all the time and have never had a drop call.

21. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

I won't buy a car if it has trouble braking. Basic stuff really.

22. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Have you looked at the youtube videos of all the failures? People are reproducing this easily.

23. cperchard macrumors 6502a

what if it breaks absolutely fine but there is a car forum which says otherwise....would u get paranoid and take it back?

24. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i've seen ones where bars go down....big woop.....doesnt mean the call gets dropped......and so what if there are videos of calls being dropped?? cant be bothered to look at other peoples problems when i have none myself....the phones is awesome end of story.

25. thales macrumors member

If you'd have read my entire post, I admitted that the problem was trivial and may or may not effect me. But I can't, in good conscience, purchase a product that is known to be defective regardless of the severity of the defect. Again, it has more to do with perceived inferiority and resale value.