How many of you jumped out of the S cycle to get the 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fiveainone, Oct 22, 2014.

?

How many of you jumped out of the S cycle to get the 6?

1. Yes, I was on the S cycle but got the 6/6+ anyways

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No, I'm not breaking out contract to get a bigger screen

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Porcupine

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I still can't decide if I want to jump cycle. S is always a much superior phone over the regular, especially in speed. But having the larger screen seems to matter more to me. I don't know if I can wait a year, even though I love the 5s design still.

2. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

wait if you have the 5S...The 6 biggest difference is the screen :(

3. fiveainone thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. DivergenceZero macrumors newbie

I jumped. We'll see if I'm going to regret it by next year...but jumping an integer every upgrade was too appealing, and I gave my sister the old one.

5. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I'm actually very glad I broke the cycle to get the 6. The S version is always better true, but not nearly as exciting.

6. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Jumped my wife out of the cycle so that I could keep mine on track. Now I have an upgrade on November of 2015 ( and with the way that the instocks are going this round I will be fine )

7. fiveainone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd be really bummed out if the 6S gets more ram, megapixels, or even 1080p 120fps.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Eh pretend the 6+ means "6S" and call it a day. :p

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I don't have this problem. I get the new iPhone every year. No 2 year cycles for me. Really... if you time the sale of your iPhone just right, you can walk into the new iPhone for about $100.

10. SuperPolli macrumors regular

New Every Year Really

I broke the S cycle, but I do every year. Every year I save up money to get the newest iPhone. So really every time a non S version comes out I break the cycle.:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

----------

I do this same thing every year. I usually escape closer to $150 but still. It's worth it to me, both personally and financially.

11. NewVZcustomer macrumors member

Do you mean $100 aside from the regular 200? I saw the 5s going for 350 trade in, so it's be an extra 300 to buy the base model right?

12. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

No... I m talking about when you buy off contract. Generally... you sell your previous iPhone approximately 2 weeks before the new iPhone announcement. Then you use a cheap old phone for about 3 weeks until you get your new one.

I sold my 16GB 5S for $550. New iPhone is $650. (Although I bought 64GB... so I was at $750.)

So... technically you have to factor in taxes too. But either way... if you spend $200-$250 more than the $550 you got for your old iPhone, that is about what you would spend on a subsidized iPhone.

I figure... I don't drink, I don't smoke or do drugs... so since I don't blow my extra money on those kind of vices, spending $200ish per year on the new iPhone is my splurge on myself.

13. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Previously had the 3GS and 4S. Decided to wait until the 6 this time since the 5/5S were so bad. I think it was worth breaking the cycle to get an all-new design.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Had the 4S on 2-year contract, intended to get the 5s but skipped it, then got the 6. I think that's classed as porcupine.

15. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Potentially, the iPhone 6 S has upgrade potential as the iPad air2 is compared to the first iPad air.

16. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Why? It's expected that the S models get these kinds of performance upgrades.

17. kepler20b macrumors 6502

I think it changes evolution to evolution, but from here on out, I'm staying off being in the s-cycle.

So what, the 6s will get you 2gb of ram, maybe a 13MP camera, and future proof your phone with regard to multitasking/split screen capabilities (if apple even implements it).

The problem is the the 7 will probably have smaller bezels and superior screen to surface area ratio than the 6/6s.

Stay off the s cycle, you'll never have anything game changing.

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I will be bumped if the 6S is some how better than the 6.

19. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

The S version doesn't mean anything. It's just the NEXT phone. The next phone in a line is always going to be the superior phone than the one before it.

That said, I'm quite happy to be in the non-S cycle. Getting the 5 two years ago was awesome, and I didn't consider once getting the 5S. I was just as eager to upgrade to the 6 as I was the 5.

20. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I went from a 4s to a 6. Noticed a huge difference and it's a fantastic upgrade.

21. HotIce macrumors regular

4S to 5S to 6+. Staying off the S cycle. The 'S' implements features to keep the phone relevant. The normal numbers usually bring in the new technology.(Apart from touch ID)

22. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I have gotten most of the iPhones since 3GS (only skipped 4S) so I thought it was worth it for a bigger display, better camera, and I'm even noticing better battery life than 5S. If you can live with a smaller display then definitely keep it but I can't go back now. The 3.5" iPhones look like a toy now and I don't even have the Plus.

23. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

As I water damaged my 5s (funnily enough it happened on the day of the iPhone keynote), I sold it for £300 and could have bought a 6 but decided to buy another 5s - reason being I just prefer the 5s aesthetically and the protruding camera on the 6 would probably annoy me a lot as I do have it on a flat surface (desk/table whatever) a lot of the time! So I'm still in the s cycle for now.