How many of you Mac Pro owners sleep your beast at night or turn off monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Oct 6, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just a curious question if there are any pros and cons of sleeping your mac pro every night or not.

For me I'd like to keep it running and just turning the monitor off as I feel better about not abusing the internals from the sleeping function.

2. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Me me me!

I have it sleep at midnight and automatically wake at 7:00am. That probably isn't necessary - I could just tap a key when I'm ready to start surfing for pr0n... er, working.

With 6 drives and 8 cores, this beast draws quite a bit of power. The power supply is rated at 1KW, you know.

JP

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I shut mine down almost every night, turn off the monitor, speakers, external hard drive, and then turn it all back on every morning :eek: :)

4. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Well that must be a pain...

Even though I dont have a Mac Pro my desktop is quite the beast, and I sleep it every night, I never actually turn it off now that I think about it, I only restart it for Windows updates. So the same concept still applies. At least I think...

5. bigbird macrumors 6502

I have Energy Saver put everything to sleep after 10 min of no activity and the monitor to sleep after 5 min.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Depends on what I'm up to. In the past when I've had to check email first thing in the morning (before video shoots and so forth) I've put it to sleep. Currently I've been turning it off. It boots fast enough that it's not really a huge issue.

7. mac88 macrumors 6502

I shut mine down. I have always done this with my towers. Habit I guess.

8. goMac macrumors 603

I either sleep or shutdown. I used not to, but my power bills got too high....

Snow Leopard's wake on lan support has been improved enough that I don't have to worry about it going to sleep and not being able to get to it on Back to my Mac or anything...

9. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I turn it on only when I need to use it. Otherwise it is off due to the fact that it pump out a lot of heat raising the temp in my room several degrees.

10. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Mine is set to sleep after 3 min of inactivity (which really only happens at night or when I'm away all day). The only time I shut mine down is when I go on vacation, and the only time I restart is if a software update requires it (or if I want to play COD or Left4Dead via BootCamp....)

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mine's on auto!

It'll sleep itself once it times out and all the crunching, rendering has been done, but in general I leave on twenty-four seven. The display are all set to enter power-saving mode after thirty minutes.

As a safe guard, I ain't worry about a powercut either, there's a enough juice in the UPS (APC S-UPS XL 750VA USB) to keep the MP running (w/o displays) for a further three hundred minutes, allowing the entire system to enter hibernation mode if work still processing. To avoid data lost, the RAID card has it's own secondary power supply giving it time to write it's cache data to the disk prior to shut-down. It's sweeeet!

[​IMG]

Just need more scratch space! :D

12. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I always used to switch my PC's off if they weren't rendering because in those days of XP and 800Mhz processors, sleeping my PC took as long as switching it off and booting up anyway.

With my current Mac Pro I just sleep it as it's very quick to wake up. Only ever completely power down my Mac if I'm going away these days.

13. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

14. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have to turn off my Power mac,the fans are so ,owd it would keep me up all night.Anyways,I don't want to blow a fuze lol,4 computers running all day really takes a lot of power lol.:D:apple:

15. Goldhog macrumors newbie

I sleep it everyday

Several times a day when I'm not gonna be on it I put it to sleep. It sleeps all night as well. Why burn the energy ?
    5 1/2 years on, not one problem. Ever.

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I've had mine on pretty much 24/7 for 3 years straight. I sometimes turn off the monitors. I sometimes sleep it too if'm not going to be at home.

17. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I turn it off unless it is rendering stuff over the night.
    You start to do that when you have to pay for your own electrical bill...
    3 computers,10+HDDs,4 displays etc suck up a lot of juice.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I sleep it, but sometimes it gets a little restless. :eek: It's set to do an automatic back-up each night with super duper so I don't shut it off completely for that reason.

I think the amount of electricity it uses in sleep mode is pretty nominal.

19. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I don't technically have the the Mac Pro until later today but I will set it to sleep after 1 hour and the monitor to standby after 15 minutes. That's been my standard for computers for years.

20. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I turn it completely off and jack the power from the hub by the outlet, so neither of my computer related gear is using standby power.

I do the same with my entertainment system (TV, stereo, PS3 etc) but I usually only plug those in the hub that I actually use at any given time.

This saves me a lot of money each year.

21. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I keep mine on 24/7 - let the monitor sleep after 15 minutes. I work during the day, so I tend to stay up pretty late at night sometimes (why I don't just let it sleep overnight.)

Haven't had any issues :)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If this is in any way accurate the power consumption when sleeping isn't TOO bad.
    I will say I have no idea what he is talking about with calling a mac pro a space heater. Mine doesn't get externally hot that I've noticed.

Here is one from apple, though it only reports idle and max, not sleeping.

I would be curious to know an accurate reading of sleep power consumption.

23. tribe3 macrumors 6502

I have set the computer to "never sleep" and the monitor to sleep after 15 mins of no use cause I have a printer connected that's shared by 4 other computers.
    At night I sleep it unless I'm up/downloading something big.

24. maghemi macrumors 6502

Mines been on 24/7 for the past 3 months working non stop on a variety of things.

That's all stopped now so I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes of no activity. If I'm away for more than a day I'll turn it off. But that's not too often at the moment.

25. IronFixXxeR macrumors member

IronFixXxeR

I put it to sleep and turn the monitors off when I am sleeping or at work. That is unless I have some downloads going, then I will leave it on. :D