Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If You Are Buying An iPod Touch, Do You Own An iPhone?

• Yes, I own an iPhone

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No, I do not own an iPhone

Votes: 48 94.1%

• Total voters

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Just curious as to if you are going to own both or going a different route with the iPod (if any).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This should be interesting. As an iPhone owner, I can think of no reason to get an iPod touch. I can see a good reason to get an iPod classic or iPod nano (high capacity or small size) but even the 16 GB iPod touch doesn't make much sense to me, because it's just not that big of a capacity jump, especially at the same price (now) as an iPhone. That's not to say that it's better to get an iPhone than an iPod touch if you don't already have either, as there are obviously people who don't want to deal with the service contract (and associated problems like switching carriers, not being in the U.S., etc).

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just ordered the 16gb, don't own an iPhone. I can't see why an iPhone owner would want this.... but hey everyone has a reason.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
This should be interesting. As an iPhone owner, I can think of no reason to get an iPod touch. I can see a good reason to get an iPod classic or iPod nano (high capacity or small size) but even the 16 GB iPod touch doesn't make much sense to me, because it's just not that big of a capacity jump, especially at the same price (now) as an iPhone. That's not to say that it's better to get an iPhone than an iPod touch if you don't already have either, as there are obviously people who don't want to deal with the service contract (and associated problems like switching carriers, not being in the U.S., etc).

Exactly, however, had I known this was coming out 2 months ago, I wouldn't have jumped ship from Sprint to ATT and bought an iPhone, but I am still happy with it (however, the price reduction is a whole other topic). As my sig says, I bought the classic, and it will be my first official iPod and am pretty excited for it. Had the Touch been at least 30GB I may have considered it, but 8 gig increase just isn't enough for me. For those that don't have an iPhone will love it though.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I'm getting the iPod touch mainly because I can't get an iPhone in Canada, but also because I would like at least 16gb. The web browser is what's most importaint to me though. As long as it can run iPhone apps, I'm happy. I don't really mind having a phone on the side.

betelgeuse1

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Oregon
I'll be sticking just with the iPod Touch. The iPhone is interesting, but it can't replace my Crackberry. For email and SMS, I can type MUCH faster on real keys than the iPhone soft keys, not to mention push-email, which is the real deal-breaker for me.

bucksatan731

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2006
on hold

called before, the supervisor offered me the prepaid returned shipping , no $50 or free shipping( bestbuy.com shows all my local have them avail. for in-store pick up, and the local apple store said they sold out, but will have more tomorrow) I have been on hold for 20 min now......

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
:confused:

You must have a nice job. :p

Actually no job. I just retired. But saved my pennies for many years so now I buy the Apple Toys I want. (Well until my wife yells and says that's it).

I really don't see a terrible lot of difference between the two screens. Maybe the touch is a bit darker on video but to me maybe brighter over all on pictures and web. I think the touch is a fine ipod but its not an iphone. But then it wasn't suppsed to be. So, I'll be keeping my touch as i think the screen is fine. By the way i was in the middle of the aluminum imac 20" washed out screen thing and the yellow problem on the macbook pro led screen. been an interesting year:)

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
Why the heck would you need both? I just need a ipod touch with a F@#$ing notes app and cal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.