How many of you plan on keeping iPhone 5s for 3-5 years?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gincoma, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Im just wondering if everyone on this board is up to date with tech and lastest and greatest or more for longevity out of a iPhone 5s (growing attacthment to it). I hope to keep the 5s for as long as technology allows me to, thats why I spent out of contract $$$ for this phone and also like the 4'' screen. I dont want a bigger screen the 4" coming from an Android phone (Droid Rzr Maxx HD) so I invested my money into what I think is perfect phone for me for the time being. What are your guys thoughts.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm such a sucker for the latest and greatest... Every year I tell myself that I am going to keep my phone for 3 years or so..... But I always buckle. the only iPhone I didn't buy was the 4S.... actually kept my 4 for 2 years.... But other than that I've owned them all and foresee that trend continuing :p

3. blackoutRF macrumors member

I've never kept a phone for longer than 6 months. I was on and off with the 5 (as all other iPhones) to check out latest of other technology. I'm picking up a Gold 5S shortly, doubt I'll keep for a year. Technology changes too often to stick to one phone too long though Apple seems to always do it the best so I come running back like a sad puppy :D

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

WHAT!!? I can't even contemplate more than 2 years on a phone. I enjoy trying new tech on a fairly regular basis so 3-5 years is out of the question.

Cheers,

5. iChillax macrumors regular

iChillax

I will admit that I am an apple fanboy. I kept my iPhone 4 for 3 years and now i have an iPhone 5s. Pending i take care of this badboy... it should last me at least 2 years if not more... and It all depends with what technology is out there to keep me satisfied.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

WHAT, never had one that long. Hoping the iPhone 6 will be out at Christmas!:p

7. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

I always keep my iPhones for the duration of contract. 2 years - no more, no less. As soon as a new iPhone is launched and I am eligible through AT&T, I upgrade right away.

8. Raibyn macrumors regular

I have a hard time going more than 6 months on a phone. If I keep my 5s a year, that will be the max. I will sell it just as the iPhone 6 comes out and get that. :)

9. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Technically, you could have bought an iPhone 3G and still use it today.
    But technology changes so fast, smartphones get outdated very fast.
    Take the iPhone 4S for example, it is not that old, but compare it to the larger screen of the current iPhone, or its massive weight compared to the iPhone 5/5S, and you'll definitely think about upgrading it.
    Chances are, Apple will always find new ways to make their current models obsolete.
    So, 3 years, I say why not. 5 years, seems very difficult to me.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

iPhone 6 allegedly will have a bigger screen so I'll likely buy it, so I don't think I'll keep the 5s for that long unless money is an issue

11. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I don't keep wives that long, I am sure as hell not keeping a phone that long.

12. kevintech macrumors 6502

so why marry them? dont give them a title beyond girlfriend lol

13. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 and got it the day before "official" launch in summer 2010. This thing is by far the best phone I ever had and has held up much better than similar devices over the years. I still don't consider it "old," even when using newer devices.

The 5S is the first phone to come with the fingerprint sensor, has an insane level of global LTE support, and comes with the as-yet un-utilized 64-bit processor. I think it's a great investment that should make it until 2015, even 2016.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I told myself that I would keep my 5 for the full two years. The 5s is released, and a I pre-ordered it. Now I tell myself that I will skip the 6 when it's released. I doubt that I will do that.

15. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

well, I had an iPhone 4 since launch and just sold it and bought a used iPhone 5. Hope that keeps me going for the next 3 years or so :)

16. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I got my iPhone 5 on release day on a 24 month contract, when those 2 years are up I will upgrade to whichever iPhone is latest and greatest at that time

17. lexvo macrumors 65816

I have my iPhone 4 for 3 years now. I am planning to buy the 5S (not yet available over here) and I think I will stick with the S-cycle (every 2 years) from now on.

5 years is possible, but seems a bit long.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

2 years max. The battery becomes a burden after much time.

19. joesegh macrumors regular

I generally try to get 18-24 months out of my iPhone purchases. I'm on an iPhone 4S, waiting my 5S to be delivered. Had my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 for 18+ months each, too.

20. kevintech macrumors 6502

I want a phone that supports world LTE bands and the iPhone 5 for AT&T doesn't really do that. The iPhone 5S unlocked will really serve me will if I do some traveling next year, so that's why I felt the need to upgrade.

21. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

;)

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't. I plan on getting the 6 next year and just upgraded to the 5S.

23. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Pretty much this. Best way to get profit resale value as well if you have updates lined up.

24. Gincoma thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems Im the only one who wants to keep it as long as possible :eek: If the battery weakens over time Ill have it replaced if thats possible in the future

25. xizdun macrumors regular

I've owned every iPhone apart from the 4S. That's six iPhones in six years.

3-5 years is a little extreme. Historically, Apple probably supports device models (software updates) for up to 2 years after release.

I think there's going to be a lot of innovation in display and battery technology, especially if there's something like a smart wrist watch (iWatch) that may supplement your smartphone/iPhone and even cannibalize the smartphone market.

The trend is to budget (or not) for a new device every ~1.5 years.