How many of you put insurance on your MBP (US)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSX, May 5, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I talked to my insurance agent and it cost me 30 dollars a year covers damage and theft. How many of you put insurance on your MBP?

2. name00 macrumors newbie

i dont have insurance, but 30 bucks is pretty good deal for covering damage and theft

3. PinkLuxe macrumors member

Wow that does sound like a good deal. What company is it from?

4. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

What does the company do if lost, stolen, r damaged like do they buy you a new one or reimburse you with a the current price for the particular model, or current MBP prices say if its a generation old r something? Sounds like a cheaper alternative to the applecare.

5. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

They send you a check for what you paid for it. Zero deductible.

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

what company? And is it included on a home owners insurance, or renters insurance policy?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have mine through a standalone personal articles policy through statefarm but I may drop it and utilize homeowners insurance instead.

About 50/year for $3000 bucks in a city so not bad. Zero deductible the first time around but once you make a claim you're deductible shoots up to $1000 or so (I hear this on photography forums alot).

8. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I do, I use Statefarm and they cover it for about $30 a year. I also have all of my camera gear so I end up spending about $120 a year for over 7K in gear, not bad. Theft and damage is covered, but not standard warranty stuff. Zero deductible and they send you a check. I've used it for about 3 years now and knock on wood, I've never had to file a claim.

9. macinside macrumors member

Thanks for sharing this stuff. I've been very curious about this as of late, since I'll have my most expensive macbook to date (about $4k, eek!!) soon.

I really want to travel w/my gear (a macbook, a 5d w/some L lenses, and a Panasonic HMC150 bvideo camera), but the prospect of having over $10k of stuff in my suitcase makes me kinda overprotective, like an overly paranoid parent! :)

Since macbooks and camera equipment are portable, does this insurance cover you while traveling? How about traveling outside your home country?

10. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Yep - got personal articles insurance through state farm. got my mbp, my wife's black macbook and her camera all covered for $44 a year. Well worth the peace of mind.

11. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

It should cover it, but if anything gets stolen be sure to get a police report.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i think about getting squaretrade 3 year warranty on my i7 MBP for $200.

covers standard warranty, damage and spills.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I didn't have insurance on my last MacBook Pro. Guess what? It got stolen last month, along with my camera gear, after someone smashed in my car window to get it.

Both items had extended warranties: The camera through Squaretrade, and the MBP through Applecare. They do nothing for theft, though.

Imagine how bad I felt like a doof when, after I finished shelling out $4,000 to replace that stuff, partially in saved cash but mostly on a credit card after having worked to pay the cards off, I found out I could've gotten it all covered under my insurance for $50 a year, including flood and umbrella coverage.

So yeah, I have insurance now. :)

I still plan on getting Applecare though. It's still worth it.

14. djgcue macrumors member

Anyone have experience with submitting a claim under this type of policy?

Curious to see if it's a pain-free experience.