How many of you switched away from the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, May 27, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have moved my iPhone from being a primary phone to a secondary phone, and making my brand new BlackBerry 8900 my main phone.

Now some of you may be surprised, but this is a setup that works for me, and my work relies heavily on e-mail, the keyboard on the BB is what allows me to get work done.

It does take some getting used to carrying two phones around, but when the att contract runs out, I will be retiring the iPhone and it will become a glorified iPod touch...I am keeping the iPhone so I can get a feel for 3.0, and who knows, at least I will have something to come back to if 3.0 excites me that much.

I hope it is not because I just got bored of the iPhone :(. Someone give me an excuse to keep the iPhone's contract going.:apple:

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Only you can say if you're tired of it ;) I love my iPhone, but I don't need it for business.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

with the exception of the crappy camera, the iPhone is truly an all in one device.

I feel very comfortable leaving my apartment with just my iPhone in hand

If i get lost, I can use the gps. If I forget a number, I can look it up online. If i need to respond to an email, etc.

Add to that a ton of 3G streaming music, and you have a really awesome device.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need a device that primarily does email then yes, then many of the blackberry phones excel and can exceed in that one area. I've owned a BB for years and found it a nice device for emails. What I didn't like with it, is the device was unable to handle html emails (without buying a plug-in) the syncing was a tad buggy (some emails disappeared from my inbox) and general utility of the device. Good phone, good email client but that's it.

The iPhone's email client is very good and with 3.0 purportedly getting better. The virtual keyboard is better then many of the existing phone keyboards out on the market (with the exception of BB) and its a much better device giving me the ability to do more with it then the BB. I can surf the web much better with the iPhone. I have more storage so I can listen to music. I have a ton of apps to choose from.

While the iPhone didn't fit your needs for a mobile email device, imo its the best phone on the market and I wouldn't think of switching away.

5. osin macrumors 6502

I'm on the opposite direction. I'm thinking of switching to iPhone from my Blackberry Curve. And the only thing I will miss will be the keyboard and maybe push notifications which suppose to get better with 3.0 upgrade for iPhone.

Why? The only AT&T's Blackberry that has 3G is Bold but it is to big for my taste. Also I can't stand the Blackberry's web browser and I'm using Opera most of the time but it is still far behind from iPhone's Safarii. Also the size of the screen is a big deal for me and the availability of various apps. And I would hate to carry two phones/devices all the time...
    But the biggest issue I'm having with my Blackberry is syncing with Mac. I hate it! The latest version of Missing Sync screwed me big time and the PocketMac isn't better either...

I think I will miss battery life also but can manage it...

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

7. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Just switched from my iphone 3g (had first iphone before that) to the HTC Magic today...

So far...I miss my iPhone...but Android has good and bad points, so I'll stick with it for now, and it'll make me appreciate the next iphone if there is one next year!

8. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

I'm using a blackberry right now.. URGH but syncing to my mac is NOT working! I can't get ANY music on my 8GB memory card. I have under 5GB of music and I can't get it to sync, at all! i'm so annoyed I love my iPhone so much moree..

9. matttye macrumors 601

The main reason I wanted a new phone was because I was sick of not hearing my phone go off when I got a text or call. I had an iPhone 1G so the speakers were particularly bad.

I got a 5800 which has excellent speakers, and with it got a better camera and 3.5G. So I'm happy :D

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I tried switching from the 3G to a Blackberry Curve last October. I was tired if not being able to hear the phone ring in the car. I realized the Curve was the same way and switched back to the iPhone.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I switched away from the iPhone because I got fed up of the atrocious battery life. However, after a couple of months I switched back because the atrocious battery life is a small price to pay for the rest of the "iPhone Experience". It still really annoys me that my battery is flat by mid afternoon if I don't charge it during the day, but I'll put up with it!

12. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I've been playing with the idea of switching to a blackberry for a while... I'd love to have real push email, BBM, a better notification system (eg. an LED)... but I would miss Safari, seamless syncing with my Mac, the iPod, and some of the better apps...

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Well about a month after I got it (at launch) I was desperate for some extra cash and saw how much they were going for and it sold for 560 on ebay. It was an 8gb and was by no means in perfect condition. Havn't had one since. Now I have the BB Curve but will be canceling my sprint contract when the new iPhone is released.:D

14. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I hope you guys realize that the Curve 8900 is different from the 83xx series. But hey, I will keep the iPhone around in case I ever want to switch back. I do not have a problem with Synching because all my data is kept up in the "cloud" with Google Sync...used with both BB and iPhone :).

15. MacDuck macrumors member

After much agonizing debate (it was really hard to decide), I recently switched from a 2G iPhone on T-Mobile to a G1. I loved the iPhone to death, but between the call quality and dropped calls, I couldn't keep it as a phone anymore.

Like many others have mentioned, I will be keeping mine to play with 3.0 and use it as an iPod Touch.

The G1 has taken some getting used to, but the call quality is night and day between the iPhone. I can actually talk to people without having to shout at the phone or being interrupted by a dropped call. I like how Android is developing and am a big fan of it now.

The G1 is somewhat lacking sort on the music end of things, but it is getting better. I just have the problem of having most of my music DRM'd in iTunes. To get the music "iTunes plussed", I have to pay over $180, which I refuse to do. I am debating re-ripping all of my music, but it is a real hassle.

There are some things I miss about the iPhone, but at the end of the day, I wanted a phone that could actually place and keep up with a phone call.

For those that say T-Mobile's network is inferior, horrible, etc., fine. You have your own opinions, and T-Mobile works for me. Coverage where I live is more than adequate, and the 3G network is great in Denver, especially downtown, where I work. I used to be on Verizon, but was tired of paying $160 a month for 900 minutes and a data plan for my original Motorola Q (this was 2 years ago, so I know plans have changed).

I want a device that is all-in-one, and the G1 fits for me. I got it for $99 at Wal-Mart on an upgrade, and will be buying a 16 GB MicroSD SDHC card soon....

I wish the best of luck to other iPhone owners out there...its a great device, just not for me.

I love Apple; heck, I own 6 macs and 3 iPods. My in-laws, cousins, Grandparents, etc. are on Macs because of me. I will be in line the day Snow Leopard comes out so I can get one of those nifty T-Shirts (I missed the Leopard release). My family has probably spent $15,000 on the 6 macs over the past 6 years, not including decking out my wife's Mac Pro, which she uses professionally. I am an Apple fanboi(y?), and proudly support this site. Yet, the iPhone doesn't do it for me anymore. Maybe sometime in the future....

16. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I feel your pain but may I point out one thing? It's not Apples fault, it's AT&T's Network. Would you still be using the iphone if you could get good reception anywhere 100% of the time? If the answer is Yes then don't be disappointed in Apple or the iPhone.

Can you tell I'm not really a fan of AT&T? (Did i say that out loud?)

17. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone doesn't seem to pick up as good a signal as other phones. I used my iPhone on O2 PAYG, and I use my Nokia on O2 PAYG. A combination of the Nokia picking up a better signal and having better speakers make it lightyears ahead of the iPhone in terms of call quality.

18. bjquach macrumors 6502

I love the iPhone for the fact that I have my iPod and phone with me at all times.

19. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I disagree, I get a signal on my iPhone in places where I never used to on my Motorola (on Rogers)

20. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I was forced to switched when someone stole my 3G :mad:, that lasted all of about 2 weeks, went a brought another iphone soon as I got paid.

21. matttye macrumors 601

Maybe the motorola was even worse? I don't know, but I used to get 3-4 bars signal on my iPhone in my house and not even be able to hear people, yet I can have 20 minute conversations without a single "What?" on other phones.

22. Pared macrumors 65816

You should read more carefully. He was using the iPhone on T-mobile.

Unless he used poor wording when he wrote, "2G iPhone on T-Mobile to a G1."

23. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

When I used my iPhone as a phone (I am not saying when I had, because I still have the iPhone..) I have noticed that the problem was the volume of the caller was too quiet, compared to my 8900. So I can see where the person with the G1 is getting their idea from.

The G1 is a nice phone, and Android definitely does have some things going for it.

24. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

Loved the iPhone, AT&T service sucks in my area. Had one when I had my apartment at college then moved home to take some summer school and apply to grad school so i went back to verizon and got a BB...miss my iphone tho...however Verizon is much cheaper for me since everyone i know has it....

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Sorry, but it is not just AT&T.

I have seen my iPhone go from 3G 4 bars to the O symbol just because I unlock it.

Meanwhile, my wife's iPhone, 2 feet away, has a good steady signal.

That is NOT on AT&T.

I really think some iPhones have antenna issues or signal switching issues.