Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you switched to Sprint?

• Stayed with AT&T

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Stayed with Verizon

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Was with Sprint and just bought an iPhone

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Switched to Sprint from AT&T

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Switched to Sprint from Verizon.

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
I stuck with AT&T only because Sprint in the mountains has horrible recpetion and I was still in my contract. Is the unlimited data good or is it heavily throttled? So have you switched?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I had sprint and stayed I told myself that I was going to switch to AT&T then sprint had the 4s and it was win win. I will be switching to AT&T on the next phone because sprit did away with there VIP program and took my yearly upgrades.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I went to Sprint from AT&T for the unlimited plan when the 4S came out. Sprint's data is so terrible (at least in my area) that I switched back over to AT&T.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Is the unlimited data good or is it heavily throttled?

switching to verizon was quite a shock to me, as i immediately noticed the slower data rates compared to at&t. but in the end it was worth it, because i got more reliable and consistent data. i had too many situations with at&t where i had no data access, and it drove me nuts. so what does this have to do with sprint? in my area, sprint has even slower data speeds than verizon and spottier coverage than at&t, essentially the worst of both worlds (of course, results will vary depending on location). and since i already have unlimited data with verizon, there really is no incentive for me to switch to sprint.

i can say that sprint's data is not throttled, but neither was at&t's up until fairly recently. you have to remember there are no forever guarantees when it comes to carriers. at&t took away their unlimited data plans, as did verizon. i imagine it's only a matter of time before sprint does the same.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
I've stuck with att as all my iPhones are grandfathered into unlimited data. I haven't been throttled, and neither have my power-surfer kids.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I switched because they have a cheaper plan overall in addition to unlimited data. It's slower 3G, but I save over the long haul.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I'd switch to Sprint if they used GSM technology. EV-DO is just too painfully slow and 2007 technology. Those who signed a Sprint contract for the iPhone 4s will be really limited in 2013 by having only a 3.1Mbps device.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
switching to verizon was quite a shock to me, as i immediately noticed the slower data rates compared to at&t. but in the end it was worth it, because i got more reliable and consistent data. i had too many situations with at&t where i had no data access, and it drove me nuts. so what does this have to do with sprint? in my area, sprint has even slower data speeds than verizon and spottier coverage than at&t, essentially the worst of both worlds (of course, results will vary depending on location). and since i already have unlimited data with verizon, there really is no incentive for me to switch to sprint.

i can say that sprint's data is not throttled, but neither was at&t's up until fairly recently. you have to remember there are no forever guarantees when it comes to carriers. at&t took away their unlimited data plans, as did verizon. i imagine it's only a matter of time before sprint does the same.

I agree... My Verizon 4G LTE mifi data is pretty consistent when I travel, however 3G is slower than my AT&T 3G, but it works most of the time. However, once in a while VZW 3G is really bad... and unusable, then I switch back to my AT&T 3G. I don't know if was location... or just the network on that day.

As for the iPhone data, I based my decision by the phone reception in our area between carriers. I had 1 to no bars with Verizon... so my batteries would drain really fast trying to find a signal. I stuck AT&T because of phone reception in our area... not what data perks that carriers can give me.

Bob Sanders

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I'd switch to Sprint if they used GSM technology. EV-DO is just too painfully slow and 2007 technology. Those who signed a Sprint contract for the iPhone 4s will be really limited in 2013 by having only a 3.1Mbps device.

In my city Sprint is lucky to hit .5. I would never ever buy a Sprint contract.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Ive had Sprint for 12 years. I recently opened an account with ATT 1.5 months ago in the bay area and experienced dropped calls - more than I ever did with Sprint. My son who works for ATT warned me that I would enjoy the fast speeds but that voice data in the bay area would be a downgrade from Sprint. After 2 weeks I returned my iPhone 4s and went back to using my Sprint iPhone 4s.

Two weeks later I was looking at my other option Verizon...opened an account with them. Loved the voice coverage and data speeds were a tad faster than my Sprint iPhone. The problem with Verizon for me was I have 4 iPhones on my account and we use about 4000 minutes in mobile calling (Sprint anymobile works with this for us). With Verizon we would need an unlimited plan to make up for the lost of Sprints anymobile or ATTs anymobile option.

I decided to stay with Sprint because one I use data in my home (super fast wifi as an employee of Comcast) and at work (super fast wifi at work)...in between I find Sprints network vision is improving...I did a speedtest yesterday that was 1.7mb down ( slow for ATT network but on par with friends on Verizon) ...I also have options like free unlimited incoming and 2 last premier yearly upgrades with Sprint.

For me it made sense to wait for either Comcast employees to get a better discount with Verizon in the partnership or Verizon to run an anymobile promotion in my area. Until then I will be with Sprint

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
In this thread and others I see folks reporting that Sprint's speeds are not much better than AT&T's throttled speeds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If that's true, and considering the breakup with LightSquared breakup I don't see Sprint as a strong player for the foreseeable future.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011

I have always had Sprint and if I could get 3.1 Mbps I would be in heaven. The most that I have ever gotten was around 700K!

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The 3.1Mbps is the theoretical maximum one can get with EV-DO. I'm not saying they are a bad carrier, they just don't have what it takes to be a good smartphone carrier. Perhaps this will change once LTE grows. Though, Sprint will be the same story as Verizon, LTE or EV-DO, nothing to fall back on in between.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I switched from Sprint a year before the iPhone came to Verizon. Everything about Sprint's service is horrible.

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I left AT&T for Sprint when the 4S came out.
Had a 3G, but had terrible phone connectivity.

At first, I thought about switching back, terrible data on Sprint.
But the phone line was crystal clear.
After the first week, data got better, and I really have no issues now.

Glad I made the switch. Excellent call reception and $30 cheaper.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I switched from Sprint because of the horrible data speeds. I never exceeded 1.5GB on Sprint because that was pretty much all I could stand. Hulu/Netflix would buffer constantly, and at times I couldn't even check email.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Has any one noticed Sprint actually working today? I'm getting 1.75 down and 1.1 up. I have 5 bars and everyone is telling me that the call quality is much better as well. I'm in south Florida (coral springs) and was on my way to switch to AT&T and decided to wait it out to see if this sticks.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Has any one noticed Sprint actually working today? I'm getting 1.75 down and 1.1 up. I have 5 bars and everyone is telling me that the call quality is much better as well. I'm in south Florida (coral springs) and was on my way to switch to AT&T and decided to wait it out to see if this sticks.

I'm in Miami and getting .44 Mbps down and .48 Mbps Up, switched to sprint before 4S to save money. Speed is horrible call quality has been good. When my contract is over I will likely switch due to slow data.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
I'll most likely be switching to AT&T at first sign of service declining again. I was getting .07 down and .01 up previous to today so we'll see what happens.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Sprint can offer unlimited because they know you'll never find a spot where you'd be able to use much of it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.