How Many of You Use Coinstar for iTunes Credit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by W1MRK, Apr 19, 2011.

?

Do you use Coinstar machines for iTunes credits?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2011.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Every now and then

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Never knew it existed

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Hello all. Curious as to how many members utilize Coinstar coin counting machines for iTunes credit? A few posts about them already but I was interested in percentage of use.

I like them more for the fact that if I give it $8.65 in change it gives me the $8.65 in a itunes redemption code for no fee. Great way to get rid of loose change.

Just curious so I added a Poll Thanks

Mike ( I have no connection with coinstar, just seems like a awesome idea )

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'm pretty good about using my coins (although it baffles most cashiers why I would give them 4 pennies when the bill is, say, $8.59. So I don't have lots of spare change.

But my wife does. And I read about coinstar's cross promotion with iTunes and others to offer gift cards for full credit instead of the 10% haircut they take (or whatever). Seems like a pretty good deal so long as you actually use the gift card.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I didn't even know that was an option for coinstar. Whenever I use the coinstar at my local bank branch, I just automatically deposit the money into my savings account.

-Don

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have before. It's a nice option. Lately, though, I haven't had much need to deposit change...I usually end up using it at parking meters.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

6. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat. One of the reasons I wanted to do this poll was to find out. The nice part is you can go in with any amount of change over 5 dollars and you get exactly that in a redeemable code for itunes. Beats having to buy a 15 dollar gift card if you only want 6 dollars worth of apps.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

lol! I normally do this too but have been using a credit card now for almost all my purchases so I hardly ever have to face the "wtf?! I don't know why you gave me $11.16 for something that cost $5.91 instead of just $10" type of problem. Or giving them 11$ in that same situation. oh man.

I didn't realize it didn't charge a fee though for giftcards, might have to check that out.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Word of warning about Coinstar machines:

DO NOT use them for simple coin-counting. They take a 7% cut of whatever they count (excluding apparently gift cards, iTunes, etc). 7% = 7 cents of every dollar, you lose.

It's usually completely free to get coins counted at your bank. Please, go there instead of Coinstar.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I empty the coins from my pockets every night and save them in a coffee can so I can get a $100 iTunes card from the coinstar every now and again (with no commission!). Feels like free money. Assorted change generally runs ~$60 per US pint, for anyone interested.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

nope. My bank will take loose coins and deposit them in my account for free.

11. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Does this apply in the UK?

I don't use the machines personally. Most banks in the UK will charge for cashing in coins but you'll find most Post Offices will be glad to take the change off you if you are a good customer and it's presorted into bags.