how many of you with new rMBP also have 27" iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tfannon, Jul 12, 2012.

1. tfannon macrumors newbie

I am finding it very hard to go back to the 27" screen to do work because I am now very aware of the lower pixel density.

It seems very ironic to me that I now would rather work on a smaller laptop than the gorgeous 27" Apple screen.

Anyone else thinking of selling their iMac now that they have a rMBP?

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

I use my 27" thunderbolt display with my rMBP. I'm not having any issues going back and forth.. Obviously the rMBP is crisper, but it's not so dramatic to make it "unusable".

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

Depends on the work you do. No way would I want to design on a single 15" screen no matter the resolution.

4. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

I've both, but can't currently see myself dropping the iMac for various other reasons. I have thought about it though.

5. tomtom2234 macrumors member

I still mainly use my iMac. That will change next month when I move to college. I plan on leaving my iMac behind at home and using my new mbpr as a main machine in the dorm.

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I have the 21.5" iMac and the rMBP. It is very noticeable when switching between the two.

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I was set on buying a Thunderbolt Display to use with my 2011 MBP. I was just waiting till Apple's keynote for WWDC to make sure they didn't refresh the Thunderbolt Display...next thing I know I'm spending the money I saved for the display on the Retina. Then I decided I would save up for a Thunderbolt Display again, but now I realize that I wouldn't be happy using a bigger but worse screen for $1000. If I spent $1000 on a luxury item like a big ass monitor, it better be incredible. It's also ridiculous they didn't even update it to support Magsafe 2 without an adapter...

It's sad because I was really looking forward to getting the display, but there's just too many drawbacks at this point.

8. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I have a 24" iMac, an iPad and also a 17". Love the added security and possibilities with several macs. I´m not rich, but I make my living from writing. The rMBP is my new "office".

9. deerfaced macrumors regular

I tend to sit much further away from the 27" than I do with the rMBP... so although there is a difference, it's not exactly a horrible experience using it.

If anything, It's clearer for photoshop/design work than the retina.

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I have both, but I still love the big screen of the 27" iMac, and I love the real estate that it provides.

11. Pupator macrumors member

My primary workspace is a rMBP and Thunderbolt display.

The adapter is no big deal at all. The pixel density is noticeable but not a deal-breaker. One of the big frustrations is that the USB ports on the display are USB 2.0, so if you're going to use a USB 3 drive or device you have to plug it in directly to the laptop, thus negating the 1-cable setup of the monitor.

12. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Yeah that's another drawback...at the moment it's just not up to date with the latest Mac, so if you're buying a rMBP today, a lot of the benefits the display used to offer aren't there for the Retina.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you look at the Mac scores on the geek bench site, both the 2.6 and 2.7 MBPs score higher than i7 iMac. Very impressive.

14. Drask macrumors regular

I have a 27" iMac base model, still waiting on my rMBP, I'm thinking of selling it to get a TBD, not sure though.

15. adamZero macrumors newbie

I have an rMBP, 27 inch iMac, iPad 2, and an old (4,1) Black MacBook.

I can notice that the other machines are not retina, but it doesn't bother me. I generally use them at such distances that I don't notice the pixels, though I do notice that the menu bar on non-retina appears to be larger. The difference isn't enough to make me sell the non-retina devices: I still get more "space" for windows on my iMac anyways, and space is what matters to my profession (software engineer here).

It's definitely nice having so much space on the rMBP though (I generally use it with "More Space" selected).

16. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

LMAO.. I handed down my Old 15" UMBP to my wife. Who now refuses to use her 27" imac. Funny thing is when I try and use the old MBP the screen just looks AWFUL, and the screen was the one thing I loved about that laptop.

Now I have to fight away my wife from my new rMBP :) I might have to sell the old stuff and get her a rMBP also.

This is the best MBP I have owned so far, and I have owned a few.

17. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756