Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the 17" MBP should have a # keypad

• Yes, I would use it all the time

Votes: 51 39.5%
  • Never, it's perfect the way it is

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • No, because it will make the keyboard off center

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I am so spoiled when it comes to using the number keypad on my desktop. It makes working with numbers so much faster and easier than using the number keys above the letters. I use it when I have the calculator open, I use it in excel, for accounting and any other time I'm typing a lot of numbers.

Every time I use the 17" MBP, I can't help but think a # keypad should be an essential and exclusive feature of the 17" model.. from a hardware standpoint, that is the only thing lacking from this model that I believe should be added.
what are your thoughts on this?

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I personally do not like how they are implemented on windows laptops where the entire keyboard is shifted to the left. If there was a way to keep the keyboard centered on the laptop and add a numbers keypad, I would welcome it, but I doubt it would fit in Apple's design plans.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
they could put it on the bottom right,
just make the keys small.
it's not as if you'd need to have full sized number pad keys,
small would suffice.
and even further, why not make the keys cave in and have a metal slider above it?
that way you can still rest your hand on your laptop and when you need a numpad, just uncover it.

that might seem impractical, but not to me.

or even better,
why not put a touch screen under the keyboard?
that way it could be a numpad when needed, and do other things as well depending on what you're doing.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What I don't understand is why they removed the num-lock key.

I don't want to have to shift my typing; also we know that's never going to happen as long as Steve Jobs is still alive.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I would use it all the time! Sometimes when I travel to client sites, I actually take the wired keyboard with me just because that way I can enter the numbers way faster. Too bad though that the numerical keypad on my wired keyboard doesn't work in Office 2007 under Fusion. Other than that, I use it most of the time.

twilightrose

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I would use it, but I would want it to be a small shrunk size one so it didn't offset the keyboard. The PC's with fullsize numpad feels strange to type on.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
But then all of Apple's laptops wouldn't look the same. It's not the Apple way.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Because my 17 inch MBP's keyboard is identical to that of its predecessor, a 17 inch Powerbook G4, I haven't used a numeric keypad very often for the past 7 years. I quickly became accustomed to not having a number pad and have never missed one since. My vote went to option 4 because I would hate to see Apple give up a centered keyboard in order to add a number keypad. For my purposes, at least, that would be giving away too much for too little in return.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I enter a lot of numbers as data so a numerical keypad on a keyboard is absolutely essential to me when I am working at my desk along with my laptop plugged into my cinema display. I bought an Apple keyboard with the numerical pad that is always plugged into the display. At my work I also have an Apple keyboard with the numerical pad but it is plugged into a windows xp computer (I have gotten so use to typing on the new Apple keyboards). I think if Apple put a numeric pad on a laptop it would look kind of goofy, think of some of the ugly alienware laptops that have the trackpad off of center on the machine. El Jobso would probably have a stroke if Jonathan Ives suggested a numeric pad on an Apple laptop.

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I personally would like a USB numeric pad, keeping the existing keyboard as it is, but having the option of adding numeric section of the excellent :apple: keyboard via usb or maybe bluetooth? It is pretty much essential if number crunching, the in-line keys don't work too well efficiency wise..

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
But you can buy a USB numeric keypad . . .

I voted for yes although I find the USB external numeric keypads also work fine.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
The Prototype

4498863877_f54cc59fbf_o.jpg

ha, don't make fun of my photoshop skills.. it's just to get an idea of what it would sorta look like. I think it's pretty good when you squint your eyes..

so I'm not sure where the speakers would end up but I'm positive they would fit above the keyboard because I actually shifted the keyboard lower. I guess the trackpad would have to move a little to left also (I just left it centered).

yea, a usb keypad would work just as well but on a 17" laptop with so much space to fit this.. I think it should have it. and having everything shifted a couple centimeters to the left doesn't bother me at all.. but I certainly understand why some other people would find this a bad design, especially after seeing it done on my beautiful "prototype rendering" haha

I think it would be an extremely useful feature for it to separate from the rest of the macbook line and also give people more of a reason other than screen size to upgrade and spend more for a 17" mbp

echocpt

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
UK :)
Mockup

Hi, long time reader 1st time poster.

Im currently a windows user but want to switch to mac, and have been waiting for update for last 4 months. Read this thread and it intrigued me, and also wonderd what a 17" pro would look like with a number pad, so i'v made a mockup in photoshop of one. Obviously you may not agree or like it, but just thort i would share it.

I have placed a long speaker across the top of the laptop, moved the keyboard and touch pad down a bit, and have extended the countersunk area to include the same keypad combo that you find on the wired keyboard with numberpad.

Hope you enjoy.

macbookpro17_inc_numpad.gif

Alex.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Beautiful work echocpt. It looks a little funny (not your work, just the layout), but very useful.

Personally I voted for no, because it's not centred, even though the keyboard is.

I use a wireless keyboard with numpad at work, and for what I do it's extremely usefull, except I'm continually moving the keyboard to centre the main keypad with the way I face the PC. That is partly why I love the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the keyboard on their notebooks, they don't have to be moved continually to keep the keys centred.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
If I needed to type in numbers that much then I would just get an external USB or Bluetooth number pad. They do exist and I'm surprised some of you haven't tried one yet. They are small, portable, and still allow you to use your laptop keyboard so that you don't have carry around the bulky full sized keyboards with number pads.

Adding a number pad to a laptop's keyboard is a permanent solution to a problem that no everyone wants. You can't just disconnected a built in number pad like you can with an external number pad.

I personally hate when the keyboard is off center because I have to constantly keep my head turned to the right to see the rest of the screen. It creates an ergonomic problem for those of us who use their computers several hours a day.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
echocpt,
I really like the image you made. what you came up with was basically my exact vision with the speakers and everything. it looks great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.