How many of you would buy a 3G iphone right now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brvheart, Dec 7, 2007.

1. brvheart macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/209; U; en))

I just wondered if apple threw a bone to us with the 3G iphone after new years, would you ditch your current 2G model and buy it?

I want to leave verizon, pay the ETF, and get a iphone....but if I am patient...the 3G might come after my contract expires...so no ETF, and 3G would make me happy. Unless the majority do not think the 3G is worthy of a upgrade.

2. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I would like one but I've had a 3g phone before, not that fast and can you imagine the battery life if it was on a phone like the iPhone with it's massive screen.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I can cope with 2G right now.

It would need to offer more space and other features to make me want to ditch my iPhone.

4. sva macrumors regular

I didn't think I could cope with gprs speeds, but it's not that bad for what I need.

I wouldn't say no to a 3G iPhone though.

5. tonywob, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the only reason i would care to upgrade is so that when I'm on the internet i can receive calls.. other than that I don't mind the edge

7. memesmith macrumors regular

GRPS is fast enough for most of the sites I use. Edge is a bit faster but I can do without it. So no need for a 3G iPhone. I've still got over 3 gigs left so don't need more capacity. So what would name me buy a new iPhone? GPS maybe? A cheaper service?

8. tonywob, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. werkedm3 macrumors member

I would only spring for one unless it also allowed tethering. Or if it had GPS, then I would also get one. So unless it has one of those two features, no. I'd consider it if they come out with some cool new features that have not been talked about yet.

10. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I wouldn't, if I was compromising on battery life. I've had 3G phones before (Treo 750) and the battery life was atrocious. It wouldn't even last a single day on a charge.

11. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

has anyone of you come from verizon and compare EVDO to the iphone data speed? I use a treo, and data heavily esp since work blocks and watches every little thing...but I think I feel myself switching to AT&T lol

12. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I'm happy with my current iPhone. I can't see any feature that would make me upgrade next year. For the amount I paid for this (bought it on launch day) I need to keep it at least two years. I'll likely skip the 2G model and buy the 3rd Generation iPhone though.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you'd asked me a fortnight ago, I'd have said I was waiting for 3G. However, after getting an iPhone I can honestly say I haven't missed 3G at all - EDGE is perfectly quick enough in the UK. About the only advantage of 3G I can think of is you can surf and talk at the same time.
    If they released one with 3G, 32GB and the ability to tether it via bluetooth, I might be interested but until then I'm more than delighted with my current iPhone

14. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

From what I understand right now is that AT&T's 3G is severely lacking. So, no I don't think I would if it were out right now (unless that was the only iPhone available).. and to boot 3G is a battery draining hog.

15. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

Faster would be nice, but within 100 miles of where I live, there is no 3G. Would I still get to use the "parallel" feature of a 3G chip without being on the 3G network? That is, could you browse the internet and receive a call simultaneously if you were out of 3G range? My guess is no, so no, I would not buy one until AT&T expands their network coverage.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In about every major city in the US ATT has 3G. They have been working on rolling it out for a while. Unlike other places in the world the US has just a lot more land area to cover so it takes time to get all those towers put up.

17. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Just because AT&T HAS 3G doesn't mean:
    A) The network is stable
    B) fast
    C) ready
    D) all the above

18. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Unless you travel alot...would it matter? If they have 3G in your area and you do not travel alot....who cares where else it is right? I travel quite a bit so it would be a thing for me to consider.

19. igglepuff macrumors regular

though, are any of their networks any of those, minus D? :p sorry, i couldn't resist! :)

20. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

No.

Firstly, I don't think AT&T 3G is available where I live, so 3G would be useless until AT&T expands.

Secondly, I'm more concerned about SMS/MMS functionality (including copy + paste) and GPS.

If the iPhone allowed you to send/receive MMS (not that stupid e-mail workaround), allowed you to copy + paste text, send SMS to multiple recipients, and had GPS, I would buy it in a heartbeat, regardless of 3G. ;)

21. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

wow, I need to read some more...I did not realize that you can not send/receive mms natively (if that is not what you are saying please clarify). I use a treo now and I am very used to threaded txt, mms working perfectly etc.

*brvheart goes to search button to learn about flawed mms/sms on iphone before buying*

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too have had 3g and it was a battery hog, coverage was spotty at best in San Diego County where I live and work but worked well at most airports I traveled to...so, No. I wouldn't upgrade just for 3G...

23. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

I have a Blackberry right now and it's on the EDGE network and it's slow as heck! It doesn't load any images like the iPhone does and it's still incredibly slow, so I don't know how you people can "deal" with it.

Just telling lies to yourself?

3G is really the only thing holding me back from getting an iPhone and believe me, once it's released, I will get one. What's more, it'll surely have more memory and some of the kinks the first generation iPhone has will hopefully be ironed out by then.

24. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I will get it when it comes out and if o2 dose allow me to Change my device. :)

25. Apple321 macrumors member

I don't really see the need for a 3G phone so soon. I've had the iPhone for about 5 days and so far EDGE works extremely well. With 4-5 bars many websites load fast, even ones that have a lot of graphics. Even at 2-3 bars email, maps (not in satellite view though), and weather are also quick. I don't see the need for something fast that would wipe out the battery a lot quicker. I'd rather have slower speed and a much longer lasting battery until they can improve their batteries in a few years or so.