How many of you would like to see a Core-M option on the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cvx5832, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Hear me out before you hang me with that title. My late 2012 MBP with an i5 2.5(3210M)/8/256 is still 99% more computer than what I need. The primary reason I got the "Pro" was for this gorgeous retina screen and connectivity options. I imagine I'm not alone.

The recently posted benchmarks on the 5Y71 come very close to my MBP. In fact the single-core score is even slightly higher. If the said benchmarks are to be believed I think it's already a very capable processor today. If it comes out with Skylake or even Cannonlake it will be even more capable and power efficient. Then we'd REALLY have all-day battery life.

I'd really like to see it on the MBP line. While a 13" version of the recently released retina MB would be nice and certainly have its followers, I appreciate the available ports on my MBP, and with a fan-cooled processor so it can run on turbo indefinitely.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

It cannot run all cores at turbo indefinitely due to TDP limits. It might be possible on 1 core though but definitely not at 2.9 GHz. Probably about 2.4-2.6 GHz on continuous single core turbo. It's not a capable system by today's standards especially if you're using it for professional apps. It won't be called a "Pro" anymore if it did have a Core-M.

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I feel like what you're asking for is a MacBook Air with retina display. Lots of people would like one of those. Not as powerful as the MBP, but with a decent array of ports, it would be a smarter choice for some of the 13" MBP buyers. The MBA uses the ULV Intel chips that have more power than the Core-M, but aren't as hungry as the MBP chips.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Gosh no. Why in the world would I want a rMBP with a super-slow processor? That's what the rMB is going to be. Small... pretty... slow.

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

The retina macbook is for the people looking for core-m's

The macbook pro is for the type that wants professional power.

6. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Nope, no way no how. Others have already said it. Core M and "pro" don't go hand in hand.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If it ever happened, I would weep for humanity. Ok, maybe not get all that melodramatic about it ... probably /facepalm or shake my head about it though, or both.

8. wksj macrumors member

You want us to hear you out, but I don't think you know what you are talking about...