How many of you would still buy an iPad at this moment given all the rumors of iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donny Jepp, Feb 10, 2011.


How many of you would still buy an iPad at this moment given all the rumors of iPad 2

  1. Yes, I would still buy an original iPad at this moment.

  2. No, I will wait for the 2nd generation iPad

  1. Donny Jepp, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

    Donny Jepp macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2011
    I want to see how many people care enough about the 2nd generation iPad to wait, or just get the original iPad right now.

    Those of you who chose Yes, why is that?
  2. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I think the bigger question today is, who is willing to buy an iPad 2 with the rumors of an iPad 3 coming out in September ;)
  3. Donny Jepp thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2011
    To be honest, when I first read that rumor, I thought to myself "Are people really taking this seriously?"
  4. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Yes, many are
  5. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    ^ Lol exactly....

    Though I'm sure September will bring IOS 4.5/5 rather than the iPad 3.

    6 month refresh period ? I'd expect a G5 powerbook before that.

    If Apple rollout of ipad 2 follows iPad 1 then some countries will just be getting it whilst others will be getting iPad 3, it just doesn't make sense.....

    As for the question at hand, no I've already told 2 people who were looking to buy an ipad in the next month or so to wait until ipad 2.
  6. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
    To be fair, John Gruber's a pretty levelheaded guy, so it's not like this is coming from
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
  8. pizz macrumors regular

    Sep 10, 2007
    doubt there will be an ipad 3 so soon. Wait for the 2nd imo.
  9. gelid macrumors member

    Dec 17, 2008
    I just bought one last week, even though I knew iPad 2 would be coming out soon. The local military exchange had a 2 day sale for $190 off retail prices for the 32GB/64GB WiFi models, and about $150 off all other models. At those prices, it was too cheap to pass up.
  10. MadGoat macrumors 65816


    Jul 30, 2007
    I bought my ipad last week. And you know what? I'm enjoying it TODAY.

    But, I'm not one who cares all that much. As long as I have something that works for me in the here and now cause who knows, I might be dead tomorrow.
  11. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2009

    I just sold my ipad 2 days ago in preparation for buying the iPad 2. Now I am wondering if I should just wait. I dont think apple will release a third iPad in September, but the rumor/possibility just eats at me. Damn you MacRumors!!!!!
  12. sinalot macrumors newbie

    Feb 10, 2011
    Well said. I finally jumped onto the bandwagon today and pick myself up a 16gb wifi ipad. Not point waiting as I can enjoy now. Even if they announce it today, it will be 3+ months before they reach Australian shores. That's too long of a wait for me. If the new one is a significantly better, then I'll upgrade to the new one and pawn off the old one to eBay!!!
  13. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2010
    Maryland US
    Exactly what I did. I bought a 16gb wifi on Monday and am actually typing on it right now. I was gong to wait for the iPad 2 but I really don't care about cameras, and the ram as it does just fine and as for the CPU well by the time the iPad 3 comes out app developers would just be beginning to take advantage of it so I'm not worried at all.
  14. thesmoth macrumors 6502

    Oct 7, 2008
    lulz at the people who voted they would buy one now, i.e. apple shareholders hoping to pathetically boost sales and increase their stock value.

    Pathetic what goes on at these boards from shareholders trying to relentlessly defend apple in hopes of boosting their stock value.
  15. URFloorMatt, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

    URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

    Jul 4, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
    His broader point--that Apple likely wants to move the iPad into Q3/Q4 (calendar, not Apple fiscal) is well taken. But I would suspect we'd get an earlier iPad launch to foreshadow it, e.g. iPad 3 in mid-January 2012, followed by iPad 4 in mid-October 2012. By all indications the iPad 2 isn't coming until late March. That only leaves seven months for an iPad 3 event.

    But maybe they'll work it into the lineup as a Pro (or as I speculated in another thread, a "Retina" model) and not pass down the retina features for a few months on the lesser models, and then not refresh the entire lineup until September/October 2012.

    No doubt, they went at this wrong initially. The wanted the hype machine and they got it, but it left them poorly positioned to compete in the future. Some round of iPad adopters are going to get screwed in the switch from Q2 to Q4 (calendar), plain and simple.

    But I think if the iPad 3 is the power-house high resolution display that most people don't think is currently feasible, then they can launch the high-end model in October 2011, pass the upgrades along in a soft launch of iPad 3 in March, and then roll out a big show for iPad 4 in Q3 2012. They could supplement this by doing a major iOS revision with iOS 6.0, to be previewed in Q1/Q2 2012, and roll-out big hardware changes in iPad 4 a couple quarters later.

    The tablet space is competitive enough to support two iPad upgrades in a single year. The iPhone went through some major changes in its first year and widespread adoption didn't really occur until the 3GS. There is certainly precedent for growing pains until Apple has properly matured the iPad lineup.
  16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 13, 2009
    Um, John Gruber is THE definition of an Apple fanboy.
  17. JPanther macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    I wouldn't buy an iPad 2 if I had an iPad.
    But I don't have an iPad.
    So I'm buying iPad 2.

    Simple as that.
  18. asleep macrumors 68040


    Sep 26, 2007
  19. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 26, 2008

    Yes I would definitely buy an iPad 2 even if an iPad 3 comes out in the fall. I have waited to see what would be my needs and so far the iPad is about to replace my laptop very soon.
  20. ymita macrumors newbie

    Jan 30, 2011
    i voted yes.

    i purchased an ipad two weeks ago. i debated the pros and cons (based on rumors, "insider" information, and ipad2 case designs), but decided this generation perfectly fit my requirements.. and will continue to do so for a sufficient amount of time.

    as someone, somewhere in the forums pointed out: there will be plenty of iOS devices in your future. apple products are probably the best defense in the fight against technological obsolescence. they age well, but it will eventually happen. the future is your friend.

    so go get an ipad. hug it. let it get a few finger prints on it. fast forward six months and then notice a few light scratches under whatever protective case you buy. realize it still functions like a champ. rinse. sell it on ebay or hand it down. repeat.

    if you REALLY REALLY need a camera, then wait. if you fantasize about the necessity of playing Call of Angry Birds 4, then wait. if you want an SD slot that allows you to freely manipulate a file system, buy a macbook air.
  21. biw999 macrumors member

    Apr 23, 2009
    Posting this on the iPad I just bought today. Couldn't wait. Thing is awesome.

    I'm not anticipating major upgrades on the iPad 2, but if there is and I decide I want it, I'll just sell this one and pay the difference. Don't see that happening though.
  22. bocomo macrumors 6502

    Jun 29, 2007
    New York
    bought one about a month ago

    not too concerned with what the next one brings and if i decide i need that one, i'll sell this one and get it, no big deal
  23. Godzirra macrumors 6502

    Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Voted yes.

    Bought mine about a month ago after weighing up pros and cons and visiting the local apple store, then went for it. Am still enjoying it today, and mainly use the macbook as a backup for the ipad and iphone now :)

    Depending on what the iPad 2 has to offer, depends on whether I upgrade or not.
  24. rburly macrumors 6502a


    Jan 15, 2009
    Exactly! I bought mine at Christmas because I didn't want to wait until April without one. I could be gone tomorrow (or today for that matter! :p) My point is that I've been enjoying my iPad for 2 months now. I'd buy one today if I had just found out about them.
  25. MacMonkee macrumors regular


    Aug 28, 2007
    I finally managed to save up enough for an iPad and was torn between waiting for iPad 2 or just buying the current model. So I asked the guys at work what they thought. They all told me to wait, especially my manager who told me that if I bought an iPad now, when he bought the iPad 2 he would rip into me and tell me what a dork I was. So I decided to wait :p

Share This Page