How many original iPhone owners out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morphodone, Apr 7, 2010.

1. morphodone macrumors member

My wife and I are still using original iPhones on the EDGE network. Just wondering how many of us first generation users are still out there.

I like the aluminum back of the first gen iPhone and that's part of the reason I never upgraded. That and the fact that the data plan + texts is cheaper.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The first iphone was great but with the 3G speeds and faster 3GS models out there it doesnt cut it any more.
    Well worth the extra $10-15 per month to be able to talk and acess data at the same time also.

3. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Me but I'm definitely ready to upgrade this summer

4. AK10R macrumors regular

My wife and I still have our 2Gs also. We did not get 3G service up here in Fairbanks until the end of last year. I’m looking forward to see what the new phone does and does not do.

ZZZZZZZ OK this is a pretty boring thread……

5. morphodone thread starter macrumors member

A more interesting question might be, Why haven't you upgraded?

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's a pretty easy guess why most haven't upgraded. Are you going to turn this into a 3 part question later?

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm still rocking my old 2G. It's two years old now and it's in perfect condition for a two year old phone, only a handful really minor scratches on it. I won't upgrade as long Apple isn't bringing the aluminum back. The battery is still quite good too, I can permit myself to skip charging for two nights in a row with moderate web browsing/music/calls/sms.

8. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Still got an original iPhone :) Had a 3G on AT&T as well, but moved to a BlackBerry later that year. Now my main workhorse is my BlackBerry since it has T-Mo 3G. Use the iPhone occasionally still, esp. when I foresee a need for browsing.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I know a photographer who still has the original iPhone running 1.1.x which I unlocked for him. He said it still works great, even the apps from the place before cydia. =)

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my 2g was a true soldier. I sold it for a 3gs a few months back and yeah the 3gs is much quicker but the 3g headaches I get with ATT now is ridiculous. good old t-mobile edge was always dependable even if it was slow.

11. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I was actually going to get myself an original one I wanted to find one in mint condition just because of how rare it is to see one now days in such good condition. I would like to have it as a back up phone or something. Do you guys know what average price for the 1st gens?

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I still use my original iPhone as a jailbroken touch. Unlocked it too, but still have the original ATT SIM inside. It was in use as a phone until the 3GS. I didn't upgrade to the 3G b/c, like you, I liked the less Edge iPhone's less expensive plan and it felt more solid. Even still no regrets going to the 3GS. Technology plods on. The extra speed is nice I will confess. GPS isn't a huge deal for me. I'll be even more excited if Apple ups the rez on the next model.

13. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm still using my original 2G phone. It has a few minor battle scars, but continues to work great. Sure I wish it had the 3G speed, but it more than gets the job done. Battery life is still very good, too. I will take a look at the new model this summer, but unless it blows me away, I may wait yet another year before upgrading.

14. uneek1 macrumors regular

I would still be using mine if I didn't run it through the washer a few months ago. It was still running great at the time, and only had scratches on the back from every day use. I had it for a little over 2 years so thats a pretty good return on my investment :D

In fact, it will still turn on and charge, but no 3rd party apps will work, and you can't get anything on the 2nd row to work when pressed.

I kinda miss it actually!

15. MacTo737 macrumors newbie

Still got mine. It's my backup phone for my 3G. It's unlocked and JB. In fact, just got back from Taiwan. Used their "IF" sim card, and worked great!

16. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I'm on T-Mo, so no 3G speeds for me.
    I'm happy with my original iPhone, and I have no plans on upgrading any time soon. ;)

17. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

(8) Just Dance (8)

A friend on mine still uses his 2G because he has no need for Data, also another friend recently lost his 3G so he bought a 2G and plans to use it till the next Generation iphone is released.

18. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Love makes ya do stupid things. Had an original iPhone, upgraded August of 08 to 3G, and was going to sell my original. Decided to keep it as a backup. Then my girlfriend decided she wanted an iPod Touch, but didn't have the money for one, so I gave her my original iPhone to use it as an iPod touch. She is now my ex-gf, and she has dropped my original iPhone so many times, I'm afraid to ask. Gave it to her in pristine, perfect condition (which my 3G is in perfect condition too). Oh well. I must agree, loved the aluminum back of that phone.

19. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

i purchased the iPhone in October of 2007 in Denver, Colorado and used it for 2 years then moved on to the 3gs. Right now my wife uses it with T-Mobile carrier

I also loved the aluminum back :D

20. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I have a 2G on t-mobile.

I really want to upgrade, but I just can't decide if I want to leave T-mobile, i have been very happy with them, and I hear both good an bad about AT&T... so I don't know what to do! Either way I am waiting til they come out with new ones in the summer.

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

My original is using a GoPhone sim with an unlimited Media Net data plan.

22. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Didn't they discontinue GoPhone with unlimited data plan?

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, well over a year ago. AT&T sent me an SMS message last September 26 telling me I could get unlimited Media Net for $19.99. I called and got it added on and have been using it on iPhone ever since.

Most likely they allowed me to get it because I called up back in August asking about it.

24. USMCSSGT macrumors member

USMCSSGT

I'm still using mine!!!!

Bought it for $400 in December 2007, had it replaced in November 2008 when the screen stopped working, and have had that one since. I was gonna upgrade to the 3G, then the 3GS, now it's obvious what I'm waiting for...

25. cdp1276 macrumors member

cdp1276

Got my 2G 8GB iPhone the first day it came out and still using it...it maybe slower than the new 3G but does what I need. I'm looking forward to hopefully the new one this summer for an upgrade.

Biggest reason I didn't upgrade yet is I feel this one is built better and they haven't introduced enough new to make me upgrade. Given that what they have added, should have been in the 1st release anyway!! So I refused to fall into the marketing ploy to create more revenue for Apple.