How many people are changing the world on their retina MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Nov 26, 2013.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

How many people are doing things with their over priced gadgets to benefit community and who are creating great new things daily with all that power, and beauty?

Or are most people just obsessed with having the perfect backlight that isn't tinted or play all the games in the world on a machine meant for creativity and productivity?

Mostly reading about a lot of superficial complaints and not a lot anything ground breaking.

This thread is about creative productivity on these over priced machines and if you've already earned back your investment through paid work on it?

My music production and design work has paid off my new machines of late 2013 around 5 times over the initial investment by the end of this post.

What creative things are you working on that generate a substantial income to justify having such over priced machines as these???

Thank you.

2. joonyaboy macrumors regular

joonyaboy

I don't feel the machine is overpriced. Perhaps in view of similar spec'd items, but not to me personally.

It does what I want, how I want. It makes me want to turn it on and use it. And when it's off it looks elegant and calming as part of the room.

I do use it for photography and have recorded 2 albums for people, who have used it in public service events.

I don't need to justify it though. I bought it because it makes me happy. I won't complain over petty details. Nothing is perfect

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Will buy a 15" rMBP. Use it to write papers and theses, play Trackmania, browse Facebook.

Eventually I'll become a scientist and help the world for the better.

So basically, I am partaking in saving the world through the many pixels of my screen.

4. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

well, this is very good question... my personal opinion is that 95% of owners doing facebook, playing games, watching movies, listening to music and writing homeworks... I think there is very small % of people who really doing great stuff like editing 120FPS 1080p videos, poster-like resolution raw photos or rendering some reality-like images for money.. sure there are few people like this, but mostly is just overpriced toy for better sleep and higher ego of peaple who can afford computer like that

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You certainly don't have to make a living off a Mac in order to buy a MacBook Pro. That's kind of ridiculous. Although yes, the money spent on this machine is definitely better justified if you are using it to make money.

To answer your question, I'm a writer and make money doing that. I am also going to be traveling the world and my rMBP will be there with me every step of the way. I also have a few other creative/productive things I am going to get into.

But people definitely don't need an excuse to spend so much money on a laptop. I'd have bought the exact same machine even if I wasn't using it to make money, without feeling that it's overpriced or anything like that.

6. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

mum and dad paid for it, so it wasn't overpriced for me. Only use it to surf facebook.... :Y

Does it really matter, what people spend their money on (rMBP) or what they use it for?

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

^ This

What I or anyone else do with a MacBook Pro is really none of the OP's business.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would take your post more seriously if it didn't contain all of the emotionally charged rhetoric... obsessed/over priced/etc.

MBPs don't have to generate income to justify their purchase... they are tools, plain and simple, and how we use that tool is for us to determine and not you

Your post sounds less like a call for responses highlighting creativity than it does a challenge to produce controversy and contention

I have a 2013 rMBP simply because it is the best tool available for the work I do and for the hobbies I have

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I've worked on PPT's that I have presented at places like MIT.

Is that good enough to warrant my purchase?

10. laurihoefs, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Well said.

Vpro, having in your own words purchased seven of these 'overpriced gadgets' during the last year, are you really one to judge the importance of what other people create based on their purchases? Or even worse, based on the income they generate with those purchases?

So despite all you've said earlier, all your critique about consumerism and of marketing etc, etc, all that matters to you in the end, is income? That's what defines the worth of someones creative work?

Get off your high horse.

11. HomerThompson, Nov 27, 2013

HomerThompson macrumors newbie

With great screen comes great responsabilities

edit: now I think you are just trolling

12. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

I primarily check email, do light web-browsing, use Microsoft Office, watch Netflix, listen to Pandora, and other basic tasks that any older budget laptop could handle without breaking a sweat.

Saving humanity and bringing peace and goodwill to all sounds great. Be sure to let us know how that works out for you OP. :D

Actually on second thoughts please don't. If you haven't already familiarized yourself with Atlas Shrugged you should. Your moral ethics and justifications have much in common with Ms. Rand.

13. MacSumo macrumors regular

The rMBP 15" at $3000 is not overpriced. It's priced competitively for the hardware you get. It just comes with faults, and some of these faults are big enough to hinder various workflow.

14. marivaux macrumors member

Shhhhhh...our entire economy is based on selling us expensive stuff we don't need made by underpaid labor in developing countries and creating a large environmental impact. Too many posts like yours and we'll have another economic meltdown!

15. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Huh, a post advocating valuing someones time and work solely according to their income will now lessen the negative impact of overconsumption?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of thread is this? :rolleyes:

It's overpriced for you, why did you buy one?

Just because it's not curing diabetes or creating world peace doesn't make it overpriced. If that's your benchmark then everything in the world is overpriced.

17. nmag macrumors newbie

nmag

I use my rMBP when keeping up on the latest literature in emergency medicine which allows me to provide the best possible care to critically ill patients on a daily basis. Please tell me how your "music and design work" helps the world.

18. thaifood, Nov 27, 2013

thaifood macrumors 6502

My Macbook Pro has single handedly saved 7 humpback whales. But it has eaten 2 kittens. Collateral damage in my opinion.

*gets off entitlement snob horse*

And to continue on from what nmag says above, you have a lot to learn in life if you think music creation and design work helps the world in a truly beneficial way.

19. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

I'm a philosopher. So, I use my £2,000 15" macbook pro to write word documents. LOL I paid for it over a 13", because screen real-estate is important when doing academic research. I often have many documents open at once. I also play a video game now and again on the weekends. ;)

20. marivaux macrumors member

You are correct that the OP is part of the problem.;)

(as am I, since I "need" the computer for work, but could buy a less-nice, less-expensive, and more-environmentally-friendly laptop)

21. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I can certainly admit being part of the problem too.

22. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

Lately I've been thinking that 2400 euro (so with edu discount) is to much for this laptop, purely based on the fact that the XPS 15 is now 1999 euro in my country and matches my rMBP spec for spec. It even has some advantages. On paper at least.

But then I found a "Haswell XPS15 owners" mega thread on some site. From there, I found some youtube vids about it (unboxing, comparison of screen with rMBP 15", etc). Reading a few pages, I already saw enough people returning it. Weird and irritating noises (first rarely, after a few days half of the time), keyboard that's stiff, stuck pixels, only 4 maybe 5 hours battery life (I expected this though), weird USB problems and of course build quality/assembly problems.

Other things that struck me again is that on the XPS 15, like on my XPS 13 ultrabook, the vents are on the bottom. The keyboard deck is a fingerprint magnet, again like my XPS 13. And oh that trackpad.. from what I'm reading, the XPS 15's trackpad is just a slightly larger version of the one on my XPS 13. It's just an entire different experience from the rMBP trackpad, trust me. And the QHD+ resolution + a lot of Windows Program's I use = bad usability. Sadly I really need at least one Windows only program, so (again sadly) a lower res makes it a little less worse. I think program's should adapt faster to higher, modern resolution's. Anyway...

All these problems and other poor things give a considerable worse overall experience then the rMBP. Suddenly, paying 400 euro more doesn't seem so weird. Either go all the way at this high price point (rMBP) or just find a good sub 1500 solution, at least that's how I'm seeing things now.

Sorry for the off topic :p Changing the world? Everybody is probably doing it with their rMBP. Even the one's that purely use Facebook, they post stuff, lot's of other people read it, hence the world is changed. Changing the world in a really huge way? Probably nobody.

23. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

I'm here..

I'm here to learn and discuss the creative ways we all use our over priced made by iSlaves gadgets to benefit the world, simple, doesn't have to be so blown out of proportion, why make such a big deal over some forum thread?

Benefiting the world could mean so many things, to some it is saving the world like some sort of Superman-gladiator, while to other it could be a loving donation over the internet to various typhoon relief aid, or writing a letter to a member of parliament to add to the many voices of change, equality and justice.

Music benefits many lives and especially music therapy - I don't have to post examples you're all grown up enough to research on your own.

I design unique prom dresses on my spare time for low income girls who go through various Women's Centres and other women's resources which I quietly volunteer for, to drop off my dresses…. I produce hair cut and head shaving events at my schools to donate (including my own hair) to organizations such as Locks Of Love for girls who have survived cancer all over Asia. I use my computer to design flyers and posters, as well as websites to get crowd-source funding. I donate over 8000 hours annually to perform and compose music for charity, meditation retreats and for ad campaigns dedicated to Youth & Non Violence all across Canada. I also advocate for SHARK FIN BAN, using my computer to internet conference to organize free events / education with celebs and youth across Hong Kong / China and Vietnam. I use my computer to produce music by street youth at my Buddhist Temple Sunday School & after school programs to give gang youth an outlet for their anger, we recently started a trust fund for those who make it into Uni.

I admire the private messages and public posts of all the creative ways you use these machines, either to spread the world / keep the faith or creating such amazing new innovative tools to better some lives, including your own.

Cheers to well being, happy Hanukah and happy Thanksgiving all!!!

^_^

24. cs02rm0 macrumors member

Took about three days. Seems pretty reasonably priced to me.

Software development.

25. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I use mine to browse the internet and type essays for uni, am I not allowed to appreciate nice things even if I could do it on something cheaper?

That's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Porsche if they can afford it cause a Toyota also gets you from a to b.