Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
I just purhased an iPhone 4 after a lot of thinking, and I can truthfully say I do not regret the decision. I might have waited for the iPhone 5 itself, but I really needed the upgrade from two terrible first iPhones. And I can definitely see myself using this iPhone 4 as it is for the next 2 years without ever updating it. Especially if it means the next software update will make it as slow as ios4 made my iPhone 3G.

Did you just buy an iPhone 4? And do you think iOS5 will make it super slow or is the hardware good enough to handle it well till iOS 6 or even beyond considering a lot of people are still buying iPhone 4 in Verizon and AT&T?

My iPhone 4 is a refurbished unit from AT&T. A 32 gb for $199. The funny thing is that it came with AppleCare until April 2013. Upon calling apple, they registered the device under my name and the existing AppleCare also got transferred to me. I asked the rep if the 1 year original warranty would start over from my original receipt date, he told me they could do that, but since AppleCare was present, I might as well make use of that till 2013. Is this something that happens normally?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I got my dad a 16GB refurb for $99 because his old Sony Ericsson phone was kaput. I doubt there will be any trouble with it or my iPhone 4 running iOS 5. Some apps in the future, maybe. But I don't think iOS is much of a resource hog on hardware that recent. I'll be curious to see how my mom's 3GS handles it, but she's not upgrading until I can get me a Verizon phone next year when my AT&T contract runs out.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
The bit about the Applecare is quite peculiar. The only explanation I can think of is that the original purchaser got Applecare with it and then decided to return it and didn't even think about the Applecare. Regardless - Score for you.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
The bit about the Applecare is quite peculiar. The only explanation I can think of is that the original purchaser got Applecare with it and then decided to return it and didn't even think about the Applecare. Regardless - Score for you.

Note, though, if at some point later the person who bought it realizes his oversight, don't be surprised if your AppleCare disappears. He might either transfer it to his new phone or cancel it for a partial refund.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
iOS5 is being made to run on the 3GS, so you won't have any trouble at all running it on your iPhone 4. Enjoy it. Unless Apple is running scared from the SGS2 and delaying the iPhone 5 because they're going back to the drawing board with it, we'll probably just see a warmed over iPhone 4 in September either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.