How many people are just settling with what they can get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by impact_blue, Mar 22, 2011.

1. impact_blue, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

impact_blue macrumors regular

Been reading posts about members getting a white when they really wanted a black or a 16gb instead of a 32gb in a different color. Im just curious how much of the community is just settling on what they can get at this point or are there a lot of you waiting to get the color-storage-service combo that you really want.

I do really believe having 18 different iPads is the main reason why they're so hard to come by.

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

I was considering it but if I did I would have either gotten something I wouldn't be completely happy with (wifi only, or 16gb) OR spend more for something I wouldn't use (64gb).

I ordered one online and I'm waiting XD

3. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

I didn't settle for something else. I could have gotten any iPad on first release but decided to be patient and wait it out. After discovering the Target thread I was able to get my 64 GB 3G AT&T White iPad. I didn't want to ever regret my decision.

4. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I'll admit it... I "settled". I originally wanted a white 64 AT&T... Ended up with black 32 Verizon. Honestly none of it is a big deal to me. I had black iPad 1 and was very happy with it. I had a 64 before but it was less than 1/2 filled in a year (with 3000 photos, 500 songs, 59 videos and all my apps). I had AT&T before but only used it 5 times all year... Plus my iPhone 4 is AT&T so I figure with the iPad 2 being Verizon I've covered my bases. Plus, I saved $100 and probably ended up with the size more suited for me.

So I'm very happy regardless... It didn't feel like "settling" at all.

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I dont understand the people that buy something that they didnt originally want. Why compromise? Is it really that hard to wait 1-3 more weeks and get what you TRULY wanted in the first place?

6. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

This is why I am in this predicament. At launch, I could not decide which model I wanted, and now I am waiting till the end of April to get my iPad 2.

Last year I purchased the iPad wi-fi 16gb and after a month I sold it, because it was not what I wanted. I bet in a few months when there is plenty of inventory you will see a lot of ipads on ebay and craig's list.:rolleyes:

7. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that's what matters in the end. :)

8. ravenas macrumors regular

Not really. I could have gotten a 16GB WiFi on launch day. I had two opportunities to get one. I really wanted a 64GB WiFi. Color didn't matter as much to me.

The Best Buy I went to never got anything but 16GB, while the Apple store sold out of all 64GBs. I went home, fired up my web browser and ordered a white 64GB WiFi. Shipping estimate of April 1. (Currently in "prepared for shipment" status.)

I did get annoyed with my 2 weeks without a tablet though. (Gifted my old 32GB to my brother before launch.) So allowed myself to pick up a refurb Gen 1 16GB WiFi. Spent an extra $360 on that but I got it to use in-house mainly and because I have concerns about the iPad2's speakers. I use my iPad as a portable TV and got used to the really nice iPad1 speaker placement. Besides I like having backups to my devices. And I have no shortage of kids in my life wanting to borrow it for a while. The refurb can be my "lending tablet".

Saying that I have to see how the 64GB model appeals to me. I wanted to up my memory storage so I could carry more movies and music when I travel but 16GB has suited me just fine surprisingly. I guess if the 64GB unit has issues (light bleed, yellowing, poor manufacturing) or I really can't stand the speakers, I'm tempted to return and go for an Android device. The Samsung and Xoom are both interesting looking models priced right. I really want an Android device to compare and do app testing as that's what my friends are getting into. Smartphone cellular contracts have kept me at bay.

One thing to consider is that if you ordered on launch weekend your wait was a few weeks. If you spent the week searching for one in store your wait is somewhere around early May. Given that I can understand people "settling" these days.

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

The following thread might be of interest to you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1121210

And don't forget to vote! :)