How many people aren't getting the new iMac because of the hard drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Meever, May 13, 2011.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

Proprietary hard drive.... REALLY?! Odds are if a user can even pry open the iMac they know what they are doing. What the hell was the point of this?! When 3tb hard drive become affordable we're going to have to wait until Apple decides they want to offer it as an aftermarket option?

I was insanely excited for the new iMac and now I'm pissed. Do I get a cheaper inferior previous gen model? Do I wait for the next update and prey to the tech gods that Apple decides to undo this horrific mistake?

2. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think its bad business on apples part but they always are looking for ways to make more $$$$$$

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Supposedly (this is secondhand) there will be hard drives that are appropriate for the new iMacs coming to third-party stores later this year.

Still, I'd bet that a lot of consumers don't care, or were never going to buy an iMac anyway - such as myself. My next machine will be a 15-inch MacBook Pro.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Supposedly, according to people who have actually done it on this forum, there are easy work arounds, assuming you even have the skills to open an iMac without breaking it.

I'm more pissed that a 2TB HD is not standard on the i7, and a 3TB is not an option.

Also, 500GB as standard on the $1200 iMac is a disgrace.

But this is Apple and I've stuck with them for 20+years and had a much better experience than working with PCs. I have to use both but PC is mainly for work.

But,
    The only things stopping me are the back to school education ipod discount which will be here soon, and the nightmare of getting a yellow screen.

If you read the OWC blog, you'll notice that they didn't respond to people that called them out, but said that they are working on their on solution ie you can pay them to do it for you.

We will see if hard drive-gate is solved in the next week or two. No use getting crazy about it in the first 48 hours.

I'm more interested in why the iMacs with SSD are taking so long, will there be pleasant surprises?

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Only a marginal portion of disgruntled geeks.
    The rest of the world doesn't give a damn.

6. Moz316 macrumors newbie

The rest of the world also thinks owning an iPhone makes you cool, especially if all your friends have the exact same phone.. ie idiots.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why exactly are you on an Apple forum knocking an Apple device?

8. Moz316 macrumors newbie

Did I knock the phone? I believe I made an observation about the phone being a fashion accessory to the "hip" group. The phone is fine.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You called them idiots to own the phone. Therefore you are knocking it.

10. Moz316 macrumors newbie

Don't remember saying if you owned the phone your an idiot either. I remember talking about the people who think they are cool for owning it.

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I was going to get the new iMac and didn't. After hearing this I won't for sure get the new iMac.

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Isn't it past the teenage troll's bedtime, a rational adult would not be making these statements.

Your immaturity shows through, on this and many threads. Most of us are here to help one another with problems or purchasing advice. You act like a spoiled child that didn't get everything they wanted on Christmas morning, doing nothing but complaining, instead of being grateful and enjoying what you have.

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

This.

My brother is an average user. Couple of kids, plenty of photos and videos. 1st grade teacher and likes to use iMovie for his end of year classroom presentation. And hes told me hes learned how to "rip" some of his redbox movies to the computer so he can watch them later.

He bought a 21" i3 base model last year. Used maybe 160 gigs of his 500 gig drive. Probably barely get to 200 gigs in the next few years. Got a 1TB drive for TM.

and thats 95% of your "base" iMac users.

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think it's a very bad move. HDs have always been a very easy and cheap way to upgrade your machine. Even my 2001 iMac has bigger HD than the new iMacs. I have upgraded it several times and last time was a bit over a year ago when 1.5TBs when they could be bought for ~$100.

If I was to buy an iMac now, I would buy a 3GB HD and upgrade, but wait, I can't do that...

15. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

And you are 100% this is true bc you read it on the internet. And it only came from one source, who sells Mac upgrades.

I'll sell you a bridge, I'll even email you pics of it.

Did you even read rebuttals from forum members who say OWC is wrong?

Nope, you read something on the Internet so it must be true ;)

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

3 TB?

So I can do it myself? Show me where it is wrong.

17. Moz316 macrumors newbie

And im not helping? Im speaking the god damn truth. Maybe if Apple stopped bending their consumers over and giving it to them i wouldnt have to tell the truth all the time.

18. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'm getting the 1 TB + 256 SSD. I don't need to upgrade from that, so i don't really care if you can't replace it yourself.

19. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

First, users aren't supposed to upgrade their iMacs. You can do it, probably voiding your warranty. This has been the case fornthe last several years.

Second, upgrading yourself works but the fans may run full blast. The drive will still work, but might not pass Apple's hardware test which only means it doesn't have their firmware on it. The drive will still function normally. The apple test is useless anyway, 3rd party software is much better.

There are software and hardware workarounds.

If your are smart enough to be able to upgrade the iMac, then you are smart enough to use the search function in this forum.

20. omyard macrumors regular

There was no way I was going to pop open my iMac so this doesn't bother me at all. I also don't see why if someone needs more space they just don't buy an external HDD.

21. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

How are you helping? You buy an iMac, apple tells you you can't upgrade the drive. They told you the truth from the beginning, they didn't lie.

Most of their consumers don't care about the things that you are complaining about. If you want to tinker, go with windows and a PC. Most Mac users want to spend their time using their computers, not endlessly upgrading and running benchmarks. Who cares, just use the damn thing.

How are they bending their consumers over? People buy macs to use them, not to worry about upgrading and chasing spec charts.

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No, you aren't helping. Nice justification for your ignorant post.

How is saying that the iPhone is a stupid thing to own if you are purchasing it to be a fashion accessory helpful when you are posting in a thread about iMacs?

23. Moz316 macrumors newbie

Well thats funny.. Most posts on this site are about upgrading, benchmarks, games on macs, windows support.. Seems to me a lot of people do enjoy these things.

Im complaining because in the past although Apple says you cant upgrade the drive yourself.. You could if you wanted. These days you cannot buy a Vertex 3 and stick it into the iMac.

It's just another way for Apple to control everything about a computer you bought. Wouldnt be surprised if the RAM is soldered onto the mainboard in an iMac redesign.

24. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I think he's getting paid by Microsoft or Google for every apple bashing post.

I have not seen him make one positive or helpful post tonight.

I'm gonna call his parents and have them take his PC out of his bedroom ;)

25. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

You can put a vertex 3 under the optical drive without any problems at all, no fans problems or firmware problems. Obviously you haven't read a single thread. Even the OWC blog says it is not a problem to add a SSD, as long as you don't remove the original drive.