How many people dropped their phone and it didn't shatter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doctorjsh, Jul 19, 2010.

1. doctorjsh macrumors newbie

Just wondering since there are so many posts on glass shattering. I happen to be one of the unfortunate - although I babied my phone, one day it slipped out of my pocket while I was getting out of my car, fell about 1 foot to the ground, and the back glass shattered. I was lucky that the guy at the genius bar gave me a one time replacement. Must have seen how many mac products I bought in the past year (iMac, Macbook Pro, two iPhones).

It is obvious that there could be a major sampling bias since those who drop and shatter their phone are much more likely to post a complaint than those that drop their phone without having it shatter. So I was wondering if ANYONE who dropped their phone could respond, and say if it shattered or not, how many times dropped, on what surface? I am talking about dropping it on a hard floor, not carpet. Hopefully this will give a good indication of how durable the iPhone 4 is in real life situations. I am still debating whether to put a case on or not on my replacement phone - don't see the point of the aesthetic design if you have to put a case on it, but if the chance of shattering is 75% from a single drop, I may have to since it is impossible to not drop a phone if you use it heavily, every day, in real life use. (I dropped my iPhone 3G ~10 times on concrete, tile, and wood over ~2 years and it never stopped working and the screen was uncracked and in great shape).

2. doctorjsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Also I'm just talking about dropping phones without cases.

3. iCandii macrumors member

well its not an IP4 but a 3G, anyways i was walking up some stairs, and as i got to the top the phone fell out of my pocket about 1 floor up, onto a hardwood floor, didnt break, shatter, nothing, i dont even think it scratched.

so i dont know what people are doing to get their phones to literally disinigrate in their hands.

:apple:

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Mine fell yesterday about 1.5-2.0 ft on laminate floor. Didn't see it happen, was playing some COD:MW2 when it fell from my bro's lap. Next thing I knew, it was on the floor under the comp desk.

I guess it may have slid when it fell, dunno, but it didn't shatter. Sry to hear about your misfortune, but glad to hear it all worked out for you with the replacement.

I actually dropped my old 3G getting in the car and was lucky it didn't break. Then again, that phone was a trooper and survived my "abuse." I'm a lot more cautious with the 4. ;)

-C

Forgot to add: my phone has no case on, but it does have a BestSkinsEver!!! skin installed.

Sent from my iPhone 4

5. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I dropped mine about 3 feet above hardwood floor. The only thing that happened were three tiny scratches on the front because it ended up sliding like 4 feet on hardwood floor. Not sure how it ended up sliding.

No case. The only case I would ever think about getting would be a bumper or leather sleeve.

6. pflau macrumors 6502

Fell from my lap to the floor in a movie theater. My iPhone got Bodyguardz on, screen naked. Checked afterward. Not a single mark.

7. The General macrumors 601

I dropped mine from 4 feet onto the street without a case.

No cracks, plus it wasn't damaged badly enough for Apple to turn me down when I went to get a replacement for battery problems.

8. Alxvasqz12 macrumors member

I dropped mine three times on tile and it has not shattered the drop was about 2.5 feet so the glass is pretty strong!

9. doctorjsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, starting to feel a little better about carrying it naked... just for clarification, I am only talking about iPhone 4, I already know from experience the previous iPhones are pretty hard to break.

10. Simbazz macrumors regular

Horrifically dropped mine 3 times on hard, wood flooring. I cried each time as I went to retrieve it, not a single scratch, just Zagg IS on front and back, s'all good :cool:

11. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Mine bounced from a granite countertop to a wooden step stool to a lino floor.

No scratches, bruises, dings, dents, etc.

I, on the other hand, almost met Jesus.

:eek:

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Dropped mine from chest height onto pavement. It was fine.

13. MDMac macrumors 6502

MDMac

Mine didn't!

EDIT: Ignore my post. I thought this wast he "How many people didn't drop their phone and it didn't shatter" thread.

14. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

From what I know the iPhone 4 should be able to survive a fall from 3 feet. If the screen does break and you are truthful with the Apple genius, they will replace the screen at no charge.

15. sethpen macrumors member

I dropped mine in the restroom and it feel about three feet and when it hit it made the high pitch noise that glass makes and it did not shatter. I have a clear Belkin case on mine too.

16. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

17. Caraj macrumors member

Twice in one night on a stone floor from about 3 feet high. Not even a scratch. I guess it all depends on how it lands
    This is the I4 with no case or shield

18. iDabble macrumors regular

dropped it 4 times now.

1st drop - fell out of my pocket while i was sitting in a chair, probably a foot, maybe a foot and a half, straight onto hardwood floor. no problems

2nd drop - sitting in the same chair, it slid off my lap. fell onto hardwood again, no problems.

3rd drop - had it on my headboard, it fell probably 3 feet and hit the moulding before the floor. again, no problems.

4th drop - had it on my lap when i was sitting down. stood up and it flew down 2-3 feet and landed on tile. no problems.

i've always had really good luck with my iphones. i dropped my 2G and 3GS a ton of times and never had a screen break. hope my luck continues *knock on wood*

19. warrmr macrumors regular

Mine slipped from my hands at just above waist hight so 3 ft or so onto concrete slabs. It landed on the Metal band and the corner glass. It has scuffed the metal and the bottom bit of the glass. Unless you are looking you cannot see any damage.

And the back glass it alot harder wearing than the metal coat on the 80gb iPod classic or the 3gs iPhone. my phone sits in the cupholder of my car hooked to my radio and both my iPod and my old iPhone were scuffed from the plastic of the car in a matter of days. The Iphone 4 is showing no wear damage after 3 weeks.

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I have like a keyboard tray on my desk and my phone slipped off the top of the desk and down 4" to the keyboard tray and completely shattered. It is literally unrecognizable as a cell phone or anything at all really but just a million shards of glass, metal and plastic.

21. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I dropped mine on the treadmill going 8.5MPH and if hit the belt (I just missed steeping on it) and flew off the back onto the floor. Not a single mark.

Remember people generally make threads about problems (squeaky wheel syndrome) and not about small successes.

22. dryja123 macrumors regular

Dropped my IP4 (no case) from approximately 4 feet on solid concrete. It landed right on the corner of the glass.... No breakage but it left some scratches on the back.

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I dropped my iPhone 4 the day after I bought it - it slid off a couch to the hard, rough tile floor of my building's lobby, bounced off its corner and then slid across the floor. I held my breath as I picked it up ... it was fine. There was a tiny (1mm) gouge out of the plastic bezel surrounding the screen and the antenna was scuffed a bit, so I got it replaced at the Apple Store a few days later (for antenna and proximity sensor issues) but yeah - the glass was fine.