How many people have been able to buy more than 2 watches and have them ship?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bunnicula, May 1, 2015.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I realize that many of you don't even HAVE your watches yet, so either skip this thread or at least read what I'm saying before reminding me that you don't have your watch. I know some models/configurations are shipping slowly. I am not ordering any of those.

I ordered a 38mm Milanese and a 38mm SS BSB at midnight on 4/10 and we got them on launch day (those were for me and my husband).

I felt sure from the rumblings I'd heard that 2 would be the limit for preorder watches so I didn't press it and order any more at that time.

However, we do have kids and a couple of them are interested in a watch.

One wants a SS model for his birthday (he's a college student and rarely asks us to buy him anything... we don't even have to pay his tuition).

The other is our younger teen girl and she's fine with a basic sport model and she's helping pay for it.

That said, I have 2 SS watches on order right now (a 38mm WSB and a 38mm Classic Buckle) and they've had no movement. I ordered the 38mm SS WSB on April 25th in the evening and it was a fast mover, according to the forums here. And... crickets.

I ordered the 38mm SS Classic Buckle last night and it was shipping same day/next day for lots of people... crickets.

I do have a 38mm Green Sport model that I ordered on the 27th for my daughter and it's been sitting idle (she didn't care about band color since there's the band swap option) and I'd heard those were moving fast, but... crickets.

I still had a couple of bands that I ordered during preorder period for myself and my husband as extra bands. I'm not too worried as long as those arrive during the projected time period (4/29-5/12 for my husband's link and sometime in May for my WSB).

I am, however, starting to wonder if Apple is stalling people who already have 2 watches that have shipped.

I think that sucks because plenty of households have more than 2 people who'd like a watch and preorder period is over. This product has launched. I totally get having a limit to how many you can have on order at once, to prevent scalping, but since there are a ton of these on CL, it clearly doesn't stop scalping.

I'm not looking for a 42mm watch or a Black SS or a Space Gray Sport. I'm ordering watches that aren't wildly popular (in Apple Watch terms, anyway), largely because my family want a specific case type/size and aren't married to the idea of one band or the other, since you can either swap a band or just buy an extra.

Soo... anyone else in the same boat?

The SS one for my son is bothersome because it's a birthday gift. I was half-tempted to cancel my daughter's order to see if that caused my son's to ship faster, but I'm not entirely sure that matters.

2. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I have 4 watches on pre order and non shipped lmaoo...dates pre ordered 4/10, 4/23, 4/26, 5/1....and I didn't know/hear anything about the 2 limit so that's new news to me.

3. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Which watches are you trying to order, though? Are they the styles that are seeing slow ship times and the like?

I really do want the folks who ordered their watches to get them within their delivery windows and I know they must all be frustrated right now, but I'm not trying to order a watch that someone hasn't already gotten shipped to them.

It's a bit frustrating, because I just feel like some transparency would be nice. For example, you didn't hear anything about a limit of 2. Others had orders canceled because they ordered more than 2.

4. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have info from Apple about what triggers the cancellation? I would hope it is solely based on Apple ID, but I have heard multiple stories here that it is shipping address and/or credit card used and not sure what is real or rumor.

5. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

space grey sport 42mm 4/10 - processing May 29th-June 11th
    ss classic buckle 42mm 4/23 - processing June
    ss white sport 42mm 4/26 - processing June
    ss classic buckle 38mm 5/1 - processing May 20th-May 27th

6. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I had assumed shipping address, but what happens in roommate situations? I mean, if you have 3 or 4 people sharing a house and they all have an Apple ID and all order a watch, it would be rather harsh to cancel their orders.

I had heard Apple ID, but I dunno. I'd also heard credit card. Right now, I have one SS and the Sport I ordered the kids on one credit card (not the one we used for the watches I got for me and my husband) and I have the other SS on a different card.

No cancellations yet, but I do wonder if that's what is holding up my orders... the fact that 2 have already shipped to my house.

I guess I should have ordered them under separate Apple IDs or something. Sheesh. I swear, you'd think they'd want to sell people any product that they DO have available.

All that said, if I do get my watches within the shipping window I was quoted, it should be just fine.

Transparency would be super helpful, though.

----------

I have that last one you ordered. I ordered it yesterday and my window is exactly one day ahead of yours (May 19-26). I also have a May 20-May 28 window on the 38mm SS WSB I ordered on 4/25.

I just have "June" for the 38mm Green Sport I ordered and the day I ordered it people were reporting it shipping the day after they ordered it.

Odd. Very odd.

7. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it would be super helpful.
    We have 4 people in the house, and ordered 2 watches originally, and now just ordered another one.

I appreciate the sentiment about trying to avoid scalping. Since Apple IDs are free, a scalper can have 100 of them, so Apple IDs aren't enough to stop scalping. But harder to have 100 credit cards or 100 addresses.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There has been inconsistency with cancellation for those who go over the 2 per customer limit. My theory is they're selectively canceling based on model supply constraints. If they have plenty of a particular model they don't care if you order 2 or 10 of it, but if they're pressed for another model they'll be quicker to cancel if you order more than 2 of it.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

2 watches delivered on April 24th and another on April 29th

10. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Dear Apple:

The 4 orders I have are NOT for reselling, I want them for me.

thank you.

11. touchstoned macrumors regular

touchstoned

I had one ship on launch day but the second was Modern Buckle and therefore never arrived.

12. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

What country/state?

Also, what models?

----------

I think you have a good point.

13. pmau macrumors 65816

I still believe that order processing is random.

Apple will fill orders when the models are available, distributing available shipments to countries based on overall volume.

The problem with cancellations is that Apple can not really predict what models they need to ramp up.

If all you are suddenly adding 38mm sport watches, because they are still shipping but you return them, Apple has no idea how to react.

My guess is they delayed the expensive combinations, they can still produce the internals because they are identical.

To me it seems they wanted to prevent scalpers for the high-end ones and really don't care about sport models with sport combinations on ebay.

Lots of people might loose interest to make a profit after months, when they cannot be sure the initial hype to overpay is still there.

Apple might never admit this, but I think it's a smart idea.
    You can order 3 sport models and return 2. It's not relevant.

I single link bracelet order that is not cancelled because people want them for personal use is compensating for that.

14. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

15. ttexxan macrumors regular

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I ordered 2 (space grey 42 and 38) on the 10th, and got a delivery range of May 13-27.

Then on April 28, I added a third order, a silver Sport 42 with blue sports band.

Space Grey 42 shipped on the 29, arrived on April 30.

Space Grey 38 is now preparing for shipment, and Apple sent me an email saying to expect delivery on Monday, May 4.

Sport 42 with blue band has delivery estimate of June, and is still processing.

Basically, adding the third order didn't seem to hold up the earlier two orders.

All three orders on the same credit card, Apple ID and shipping address.

17. g.t. rags macrumors regular

well at least we know they haven't stopped shipping for the weekend.... gives me hope i can wake up to a "preparing for shipping" tomorrow...