How many people have flown United with the watch so far?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by almonde, Apr 30, 2015.

1. almonde macrumors regular

I'm flying from Houston to San Diego next week on United. Was planning on using my watch in place of my phone for boarding pass etc.

Anyone done this so far (especially on United, or from Houston/San Diego)?

- How did the TSA treat the watch in terms of scanning it?
    - Could you keep it on your wrist through security?
    - Any issues scanning at the gate to board?

How convenient was it compared to the iPhone? Did passbook automatically place your boarding pass into the notification or glances area, or id you have to manually launch passbook each time?

Thanks,
    Alex.

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I'm planning on flying United tomorrow to the UK with the watch. Will report back what happens

3. thejel macrumors newbie

Apple Watch Through TSA and Delta Scanners

I flew from Nashville to LaGuardia and back yesterday. My Apple Watch received my boarding pass via the Delta app and I would have easily breezed through the TSA scanner except the TSA agent loved my "cool Apple Watch" and asked me to scan it a second time just so he could show his partner. Same thing happened with TSA agent in LaGuardia--no issues with the scanner--just the agents wanting to see it work again. I have the stainless steel with Milanese loop band. Went through PreCheck metal detectors with it on--no issues. But would have probably had to take it off if I had to go through body scanners.

What did not work were the Delta gate scanners. They could not read the boarding pass on their own Delta app that the TSA scanners could. I had to pull out the phone and pull up the boarding pass on it to get through the gate scanners.

The Passbook app worked just fine bringing up the boarding pass at the right times.

My worst issue is that my iPhone 5S battery is being soaked dry by the Watch. It won't last nearly as long as the Watch battery. I have worked at keeping the Watch app closed when not using it, but it doesn't make much difference.

4. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

I flew United twice in the past two days. Watch scanned at the gate. The angle to scan was a bit annoying at the "TSA Pre" checkpoint. No issues walking through security with it.

5. mdmt619 macrumors member

I flew United on Sunday. The passbook boarding pass shows up in notifications before your flight, which is nice.

However, the scanner at the gate only had about 2 inches of room beneath the scanner - enough for a phone or paper pass, but definitely too small to fit your wrist under. I had to scramble for my phone for a minute or so once I realized my watch wouldn't work - a little awkward as the attendant was trying to ask my questions about my new apple watch, haha.