Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
So before buying the ram i was told get the crucial on amazon it's going to work!

THEN GOT it panics,then started seeing apple/crucial threads with nothing but issues

anyone else had this issue with crucial ram and having a rma resolved the issue?waiting for my rma meantime apple ram installed no panics yet.

Last edited:

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I put Crucial ram on my 2012 iMac the day it arrived and haven't had a single issue. I added 16GB and now have a total of 24GB.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
As I already mentioned to you in one of your various other threads on the topic, I've been running 32GB on my Late 2013 iMac (16GB stock Apple Elpida and 16GB Crucial) for 5 months now with no problems.

I did, however, get a bad set on first delivery which I had replaced and has been perfect ever since.

Before I bought the Crucial and had it shipped over from Amazon USA, I made the mistake of trying a bunch of other types of RAM more easily available to me here in Japan and had freezing and kernel panics with all of them.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I put 4GB of crucial RAM in my mom's 2009 13" MacBook Pro about four years ago and to this day it's working just great. Haven't had any issues with it, although for my own hackintosh "Hack Pro" builds I prefer to use Corsair Vengeance RAM.

532355_0_original.jpg

thing0x01

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
I've been upgrading both PC's and Mac's for many years with Micron/Crucial Memory modules and have always found them to be very reliable. Not always the cheapest memory but well worth the investment.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
As I already mentioned to you in one of your various other threads on the topic, I've been running 32GB on my Late 2013 iMac (16GB stock Apple Elpida and 16GB Crucial) for 5 months now with no problems.

I did, however, get a bad set on first delivery which I had replaced and has been perfect ever since.

Before I bought the Crucial and had it shipped over from Amazon USA, I made the mistake of trying a bunch of other types of RAM more easily available to me here in Japan and had freezing and kernel panics with all of them.

yea i seen your post on the crucial website it self myself got my first batch from amazon,i wonder if amazon is selling a old bad batch or something?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Never a problem. Used it in several Macbook Pros, an early Mini, a bunch of different iMacs, and various Mac Pros.

And before that, when I was building PCs, I always used it.

Other vendors may be as good, but you asked about Crucial.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Been using 16 gb of it for a few months now with absolutely no problems.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
All of my Macs (including previous iMacs) have had Crucial RAM. Never had a problem.

hanmer

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Bought an additional 16GB RAM from crucial. Put it in my 2013 27" before I even booted it on for the first time when it arrived. Been happily using 24Gb of RAM ever since without any issues.

Bri

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I've gotten bad RAM from many different manufacturers. It's just the luck of the draw.

I have plenty of Crucial RAM in my computers. All of them are running fine.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Are you still within the return window for Amazon? If so I'd just return it there, rather than deal with an RMA process. Even if you're slightly outside the return window (I've done this a few times), they will often take it back.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I always upgrade my Macs with Crucial ram and have never had any problems. I've been doing so for well over 15 years.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
i got the new ram today one thing i noticed is the apple ram had 4 chips on each side as where the one from amazon sent me which was crucial brand new 8 on each side

the new rma ones that i got today has 4 on each side like the apple ones so hopefully this fixes the issues now,tho i do notice system is more snappy now,just have to return the bad chips now to crucial before they charge me 350 bucks or so

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
You may have gotten the wrong ram through Amazon. I always deal direct with Crucial to insure getting the proper ram.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Crucial is one of Apple's RAM suppliers. So if you buy a new Mac, you're often getting Crucial RAM.

Next time, buy your RAM directly from Crucial. I've been using Crucial (Micron) RAM for 20 years. Never a problem.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
i got the new ram today one thing i noticed is the apple ram had 4 chips on each side as where the one from amazon sent me which was crucial brand new 8 on each side

the new rma ones that i got today has 4 on each side like the apple ones so hopefully this fixes the issues now,tho i do notice system is more snappy now,just have to return the bad chips now to crucial before they charge me 350 bucks or so

When I returned my first set of Crucial to Amazon for replacement they also sent me the high density (4 chips per side) version to replace low density. I don't think this is relevant to the problem though, rather just a coincidence. As mentioned, bad RAM happens to all makers and in all chip configurations.

You may have gotten the wrong ram through Amazon. I always deal direct with Crucial to insure getting the proper ram.

The Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM that Amazon is selling is absolutely the correct part for the Late 2013 iMacs, confirmed by Crucial in their user forums. The RAM they sell directly is sold with internal part numbers but is otherwise identical. Amazon is also a lot cheaper.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Crucial is one of Apple's RAM suppliers. So if you buy a new Mac, you're often getting Crucial RAM.

I've never heard of Apple shipping Macs with Crucial but Crucial is the consumer products division of Micron and Micron does now own one of Apple's suppliers, Elpida.

Anyway, Crucial is excellent RAM and highly recommended.

----------

Next time, buy your RAM directly from Crucial. I've been using Crucial (Micron) RAM for 20 years. Never a problem.

Again, I say buy it from Amazon or whomever will give you the best price for it. If you are concerned about the compatibility, ask in their forums and Crucial reps will gladly confirm it.

Also, no matter where you buy it, you get lifetime RMAs directly from Crucial if necessary.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I put 4 crucial ram modules into my 2012 imac and had no issues. I even ran a ram test for several passes with no issues. I was using 1.5 volt modules too which I read was a problem (after the fact) for many people and only to use 1.3 volt modules. It has never effected my imac poorly though. Maybe mine is magical. This was over a year ago so its been tested pretty well.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
still testing so far no issues with the new ram so hoping this continues already sent the bad sticks back to crucial

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Yep, I got some Crucial RAM from Amazon and started getting panics. Before I RMA the RAM however, I'm trying some other things first (removing old drivers, things like that). If I get another Kernal Panic, I will be pulling the Crucial RAM out to see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.