How many people here would have committed suicide at age 15 if you were bullied?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Sep 16, 2010.

?

Would you have committed suicide at age 15 if you were bullied?

1. Yes, I would have committed suicide.

5.3%
  2. No, I would have not committed suicide.

94.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

How many people here would have committed suicide at age 15 if they were bullied?

And if yes why and if no why not?

Just wondering as this is a question that is in regards to the thread in the PRSI section.

2. Queso macrumors G4

You still don't appear to get it. It doesn't matter in 99.999999999% of the teenagers on the planet don't commit suicide due to bullying. The fact that just one does means it's a problem that needs to be tackled.

Bullying varies massively in its extent. For many it may be an occasional thing, but for others it is a constant torrent of verbal and sometimes physical abuse that lasts for years. All of that during the period of life when our psyches are most vulnerable.

And I don't give a **** if you experienced it and survived it. What do you want, a medal? Others out there don't survive. That's the issue here.

3. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Agreed! Seriously, bro you make a thread like this? While in my experience, I haven't committed suicide, and obviously you haven't either, but that's not the issue here.

Your, and my, narrow experience of the world is not at all, in the slightest, relevant to everyone else's. While you may have experienced bullying and survived, good for you, there are many others who are bullied much worse and have other issues to deal with, or are not able to cope with it as you and I.

And I totally agree with Queso, even if five teenagers died from bullying it would still be an issue. That's five too many. There needs to be a realisation that this is a real and serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Also, while some people may not die from bullying that doesn't mean it hasn't irreparably effected their life. Bullying doesn't kill you, it hurts and damages you, and that needs to be taken into account. It's not just about mortality rates. It's about people, and they need to be helped and not bullied in their life, for the betterment of themselves and others.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Where's the option for spree killing and taking the bastards with you?

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Addressed to what degree? The numbers of teenagers dieing as the result of bullying cannot be very high, lest not compared to the numbers who die in traffic accidents. I bet more die from drug over dose.

Simple fact is, the only reason the other story is on PRSI is because of the sexuality of the target. Perhaps they are too weak willed to live, Darwin at its finest, oops

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you completely miss the point. It depends upon severity, anyone would commit suicide if bullied enough.

Your idiotic survey is meaningless.

haha, yeah, I certainly thought about it.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Someone being driven to suicide by the actions of their peers is no accident. Do you honestly think the kids doing the bullying get a sense of achievement about their actions? The entire thing is driven by insecurity and fear. It is easily preventable by adults showing everyone involved, bullies and victims, that they are actually OK.

They did an experiment over here in an inner city school where they encouraged the children to hug each other. As a result the incidence of both bullying and bad behaviour dropped through the floor and academic results improved. The changes adolescents go through causes a sense of isolation, and just simple non-sexual physical contact with their peers broke through that. If those of us that have already gone through that period can spend a bit of time to encourage the youngsters to feel a bit more self-worth it will save lives. It's easy to do and costs nothing, so why the resistance?

As for Darwin he believed that species that nurture stable environments for their young to develop within are more successful.

8. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I'm sure they do. However, it's not an either or option. We can definitely address both drug issues and bullying issues, and I think in our society we tend to focus too much on drug issues and things like that, as the consequences are much clearer and more visible, and not look at or address bullying issues, as they are longer term with the consequences of many of such cases being not immediately visible by others.

Wow, what an awful thing to say. With a system like that, we would have no legal or court protection as it would just be "survival of the fittest". As a fair society there is the responsibility to protect the weakest and help them advance. And its not just about physical strength: should we kill all those who may not be the strongest, but are extremely smart? We need to protect those who are weaker than ourselves, and cultivate their skills and capabilities.

And I don't think its just about the sexuality of the target. The fact that someone was bullied to the extent that they would kill themselves is a topic that is certainly worth discussing, particularly in the context in which we find ourselves today (with bullying in many cases being swept under the rug).

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The number one cause of death amongst males 18-25 in the U.K. is suicide,the data is on this page:

http://apps.who.int/whosis/database/mort/table1_process.cfm

There is some more accessible info on this page:

http://www.bullyonline.org/related/spree.htm

It is worth keeping in mind that figures for suicide are often quite difficult to differentiate from other causes of death, for instance some researchers suspect that many of what you refer to as "traffic accidents" may well be cases of suicide.

10. Queso macrumors G4

I also suspect that the events leading to teenage drug overdoses come from the very same feelings of estrangement and isolation that cause bullying, gang membership, all sorts of things that our youngsters fall victim to. Deal with the root cause and everyone can only benefit.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am surprised you just don't get it Waloshin. You're delusional to think that a child wouldn't be so affected by bullying that they'd simply want to end their own life. This is one topic you really should not have started. It shows you're close-minded about the subject and for the sake of attention you have to drive home your own view.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS. I posted numbers for you about just how big the problem is. But just go on and keep relaxing your brain.

13. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I think the kids who bully other kids so bad that they end up killing themselves should be charged with murder... or at least manslaughter... Along with their parents too.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Waloshin: "Asking the unanswerable questions one day at a time"

Seriously, how can anyone answer this?

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Does anyone really think that its just bullying that drives a kid to suicide?

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

In a lot of cases, yes. yes it does.

Why is this so hard to believe, we're not just talking about a few kids calling someone names here, it can be far far worse and yet teachers can and often do turn a blind eye to it.

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Blame the teachers?

Where do the parents come into this? Are they too busy with their careers?

18. Queso macrumors G4

I think Mord is specifically concentrating on bullying within schools, but you're right. It's up to every adult around teenagers to keep an eye and make sure these situations are dealt with. When a suicide occurs in our community we're all to blame. We weren't paying enough attention.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If the kids who are being bullied have a strong support structure at home and open lines of communications with their parents I'm going to guess that they are 90% less likely to kill themselves unless they have some real psychological problems. If a parent loves their child and watches them intently as I know many parents do, the signs emerging before a suicide should be painfully obvious.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Boy, you start a lot of BS threads with stupid questions but this one takes the cake. Be glad that you REALLY. DON'T. GET IT. :rolleyes:

21. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I am only 14 but if I was bullied I probably wouldn't take it that far, although it would make life pretty crap :(

22. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Not in the least. It also would depend on what type of support a child had/has at home, what type of relationship with parents/guardians/friends, how strong-willed the person in question is, and what the key issues are.

People can be "bullied" by political powers, radical groups and all manner of horrible people with all manner of horrible devices, and yet they endure it. Children can go through hell at school, but if they have a reassuring and nurturing homelife they can take a lot of punishment elsewhere. And then, there are simply some people who dig in their heels, no matter what the odds are, and stick it out.

I'm not saying that if you do commit suicide you're weak minded or whatever, but I'd just point out there are a myriad things to consider; and the statement anyone would do it doesn't hold any water.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you ever tried to work out what's happening in a teenager's mind? :)

My daughter was picked on by a group of girls when she was thirteen. The first we heard of it was when we went to the parents evening a few months later.

The school had dealt with it really quickly (using some older girls to 'keep an eye' on my daughter and her friends) but my daughter was too embarrassed at the time to tell us about it.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What? That's BS if I ever heard any. My mate Chris got bullied a lot, because he just wasn't confident in life. I got bullied a bit for sticking up for him at times and being friends with him.

Chris didn't give a **** about the bullying, and trust me, it was none stop. He has since gained confidence and is now studying programming at college. Not dead.

25. Queso macrumors G4

I'm glad it was resolved quickly for your daughter, and the way it was resolved does go back to why I think it's the responsibility of everyone to tackle this. The parents aren't always around, the teachers aren't always around, but it's going to be quite rare that bullying goes on for any length of time without somebody noticing it. Teenagers themselves are often not going to mention it, because as some posters' attitudes in this thread show many see it as a personal failure if you cannot deal with this yourself. But teenagers have to be shown that they aren't on their own.

And let's not forget that even the bullies themselves need a bit of positive reinforcement about their own insecurities. We know that most of this type of behaviour comes from the perpetrator's own fear or self-loathing. Others go along with it because they are desperate to fit in, so building self-confidence in all involved would do wonders. You'll never stamp bullying out completely, but if we can get to the point where youngsters don't feel it necessary to play along when one of their peers does start projecting their own negative feelings onto another we can make the whole child to adult transition easier for all.

And that to me is the most important thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.