How many times can congress ask hayward the same questions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It appears congress either a) believes that a CEO micromanages every single happening/decision in their company. b) that hayward was there during the drilling making decisions.

Or perhaps they are just trying to score political points, meanwhile the people who are supposed to be regulating their activities are no where to be found. :cool:

I would like to see a grilling of congress members every time something bad happens at a local level in each state. Next time a cop kills someone on the street we should bring a state senator in and grill the hell out of them about the subject, "do you not represent your entire state? What do you mean you don't know about every single thing happening in your state?".

Horse and pony show once again. How bout we get the oil cleaned up first, there will be plenty of time to score votes later.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I watched the whole thing, all day..

It's all for show, they know he can't say anything, and won't say anything. No answers will really come out until the investigations are over.

The reason why Hayward is repeating himself, is because Hayward is being asked the same questions..

Like you said, only thing that matters now is cleaning up the mess. Why divert resources and time?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This... these hearings are essentially a really expensive dog and pony show that doesn't accomplish much aside from placating some people who are angry about the spill.

Although, for some crafty Republicans, it is also being used as a clever way to bring embarrassment to onesself and ones' party. :)

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Exactly. Tony has probably never even touched oil. They are getting flustered that the problem is not handled yet, so they constructed a straw man out of the big bad evil oil CEO.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sounds A LOT like what those on the right keep trying to do re: President Obama. Bazinga.

6. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

At least hayward is using golf balls to try to plug a hole in the ocean instead of trying to up his score on the course.

[​IMG]

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Couldn't agree more. What do they expect Obama to do? What do they expect anyone on Capitol Hill to do? They have no idea what to do.

Money-shifting and community-organizing skills do not relate well to deep-water robotics skills ;)

I hope some random "little guy" comes up with an amazing idea that works. I would like to see that.

8. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Arguing with each other, trying to look tough by interrupting Hayward before he could finish a sentence, playing to constituents...what a circus. Executives from other oil companies all said they wouldn't have done it the same way, really.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
    OW

9. Queso macrumors G4

So when are Shell and Exxon going to be held to similar account for the state they have left and continue to leave the Niger delta in? Or does that just not matter because the Nigerian government isn't as powerful as the one in Washington?

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

As for BP having to pay compensation for lost jobs in the Gulf, when are the US banks going to be forced to pay compensation for lost jobs around the world? When are they going to have to pay for the 'clean up' of their banking cluster f*ck? (Not to mention Union Carbide and Bhopal.)

As for the lynch mob Congressional Committee, when that chap from Louisiana plonked his photo of the pelican on the table, I swear I could feel my skin attempting to crawl off me and hide behind the sofa. Yes, Congressman, it'll be on the front page of tomorrows local newspapers and on your election bumf, don't worry. And the oil will still be pumping into the gulf.

My 'highlight' however, was on BBC's Newsnight, when one of the Congressmen was asked about Tony Hayward's performance by their reporter he replied that actions were more important than words. Really Mr. Congressmen!? If actions are more important than words why have you dragged him all of the way up to Washington DC to attend your Kangeroo Court nonsense? Evidently, he believes that the longer they spend talking at Mr. Hayward, the sooner he'll drill the relief well and clean the coast.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Isnt this whole show because the GOP kept complaining that Obama wasnt doing enough?

12. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, they do this every time. Didn't you see Toyota, bank bailouts, gm/chrysler, etc etc?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congressional hearing should continue to be televised but the camera should not be allowed to ever focus on a Senator or Congressman. Take the theatrics out of it.

14. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

That's all congressional hearings ever are. All congress ever does at these things is harass who they call in and showoff their power and faux concern in order to get votes come election time. Six months from now, when everyone except those directly affected by the spill in gulf has forgotten, all the congressmen will probably be back to taking BP money.

Still not as bad as the one called after Caterpillar et al took $100 million+ writedowns after the healthcare bill passed. Yeah, lets call in companies and harass their CFOs for doing what accounting rules and their accounting firms advise them to do just because we don't like and have no understanding of anything remotely related to the basics of accounting, let alone one of the most complex accounting provisions out there. :rolleyes:

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A bunch of useless lawyers but that is what our congress is made up of, Useless Lawyers and politicians, prostitutes to the corporations and pretending in front of the live cameras that they care about small people.:rolleyes: BOUGHT AND OWNED BY BP and many others. Meanwhile the leak continues.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd love to see the article about that.

But yes, at the end of the day the American government is more concerned about issues like this that directly effect the country. That doesn't seem unreasonable/surprising to me.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Unsurprisingly given what is happening in the Gulf there are quite a few updates on the Delta at the moment.

FT

Fair enough, but internationally the US government is increasingly coming across as arrogant and hypocritical. When the USA and its populace are indirectly responsible for massive pollution across the globe people in other countries are finding it difficult to cry when someone else dirties your own backyard.

Personally I detest the business methods of all of the primary resource multinationals so am glad BP are being dragged across the coals. It's what they deserve. Hopefully other governments will now pick up this standard and stop this scorched earth business model.

I suspect that last bit is a forlorn hope though. Just as with the banks once the immediate crisis is over it'll be back to business as usual.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

every time they have done something like this on any company it is nothing more than a very expensive dog and pony show.

The congressmen do not care about anything more than trying to make themselves look good to get votes.
    Congressmen are nothing more than whores who will sleep with anyone who they thing will give them money or vote for them.