How many times can you write to the new mbp retina flash drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtd2, Jun 24, 2012.

1. rtd2 macrumors newbie

Hello.

I want to get a top spec mbp retina for music, video and heavy internet usage.

And I would like to know how many times can you write to the new mbp retina flash drive?

And can the Flash drive be change by a authorised apple service provider?

2. simsaladimbamba

Probably more than you ever will: http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_debunking.php

Probably not, but since you can do it yourself on MBAs, why shan't you be able to do so on a rMBP.

3. Randomoneh macrumors regular

Randomoneh

Seven. And than it's ruined. Forever.
    And it's soldered to motherboard so you'll have to throw it away. In the trash.

4. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Even at the absolute worst of 1000 erase cycles. Even if the right amplification is 3x you will have to write rewrite your entire drive once a day every day for about a year about you can't write it anymore (however you will still be able to read the data on it). It's probably around 3K erase cycles and that means you could rewrite the whole drive daily for about 3 years, if the write amplication is about 1.5, you get 6 years. In other words durability of SSD's is not an issue and grossly overrated.

People also disregard the fact that mechanical hard drivers CAN and often DO fail. Those heads wear out. The spindle motors wear out. If you rewrote a consumer hard drive on a daily basis for a year I'm quite sure it would fial.

5. double329 macrumors 6502

I know you are looking for a number. I wouldn't worry about it too much with the spec. Just use your system and enjoy the snappy performance. I have my for years, and it still works great. I do a lot of photo editing with LightRoom and Premiere occationally :D

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

They are using the samsung 830, so whatever that model's limitations are. It's definitely a lot lol.

7. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

um no. its definitely not soldered. how in the world did u get an up vote for that comment?!

8. ihakim macrumors member

He used a wonderful tool called sarcasm.

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I think he/she was being sarcastic, as implied by the "seven" number he/she gave.

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I'm happy to recycle it for free if OP would send it my way...