How many times does your Safari crash in a day of normal use? And how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotarypower101, Aug 27, 2008.

?

Most often my safari browser crashes under these circumstances

1. Crashes with only one page open light browsing

13.9%
  2. Crashes with only one page open heavy browsing

26.6%
  3. Crashes with multiple pages 2-4 open light browsing

24.1%
  4. Crashes with multiple pages 2-4 open heavy browsing

12.7%
  5. Crashes with multiple pages 4+ open light browsing

5.1%
  6. Crashes with multiple pages 4+ open heavy browsing

17.7%
  1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Anyone positively sick of this yet? If the phone didn’t have enough DRAM in V1 then why no increase in V2? I personally feel 128 should be enough to be stable since running this amount on other platforms, does that mean it is probably dominantly a software problem?

Please no coddling apple on this one, they really should have this problem nixed by now IMO, or at least heading in the positive direction! I feel its getting worse as updates progress.

I know some people claim that closing safari by holding down the home button is an effective way of resolving some of the problem, but it doesn’t work for me! Nor does a hard reset for long, and lets be serious here why should we have to do these things!

I find that safari crashes more often with other apps running like music or if I didn't finish waiting for gmail to complete finish updating ect., but I am only concerned with best case scenario for this poll.

I really am interested to see how little will set off a crash.
    I know its not my phone because I have had three different ones and others around me do the same.

I understand there are going to be different views of light/heavy browsing and what constitutes both, but without writing a book on the subject….

By light browsing I mean letting the page open without taxing the processor by moving all over the page and zooming in/out while loading as well as a page that has a significant amount of data text and multimedia to load.

By heavy browsing, you guessed it, the opposite of light browsing.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Quite a few times. When I have multiple tabs, it usually just lags and then loads back to the home screen. Sometimes it'll automatically do a restart.

4. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Safari does crash on my iPhone quite regularly. Oddly it mostly happens when viewing MacRumours.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have few if any crashes. I have found that sites with heavy CSS or incomplete tags are the ones that cause problems.

TEG

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same here. MacRumors definitely seems to bring iPhone to its knees quite frequently.

But then again so does any random site.

Once? Wow.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Oops, I voted in the poll because I thought this was about Mac Safari. :eek:

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It crashes fairly regularly for me. By that, I mean every second or third day. It's usually after 30+ minutes of heavy browsing with 3-4 tabs.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

With the old iPhone and now my 3G it sometimes kicks me back to the home screen when it drops off wi-fi. It does it dropping to Edge or 3G, not all the time but once in a while. Seems to kinda hang there and then back to the home screen you go.

I suppose it would be more annoying if I didn't have an MBA to surf with when I'm not at home. :)

10. daniels macrumors member

I've only had Safari crash once on my 3G iphone although it locked up the whole phone when it did

11. Pandora01 macrumors regular

I've never had a crash while using Safari. *knock on wood*

12. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

For those that crash very little what are your usage statistics like?
    How many pages per day, and how much time spent on safari?

13. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I don't think I've had safari crash in about two weeks.
    It was more prevalent when I had my first gen.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why are you assuming that Safari is crashing for everyone?

I'm on my Touch most of the time and its solid as a gold plated rock.

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Safari crashes almost every time for me on my 3G when I'm on the ebay pc site.

16. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Didn't vote, as it very rarely crashes for me. I don't think I've had it close completely, but I've had it bounce back to the home screen a couple of times (from memory it preserves all the open instances when it does this).

I tend to browse for two one hour slots (gotta love that commute). I normally have between 4 and 8 instances. Rarely browse complex sites though, and very rarely forums - mostly I choose pda or mobile versions of sites, where available.

I very very rarely restart the iPhone, but I do tend to hold down the home key when I quit apps (which as far as i am aware kills the process completely, thus keeping memory usage down).

17. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

About half a dozen times a day, and I only really use it for forums so not exactly graphics heavy. At it's most irritating it crashes, freezes completely for about 5 minutes, then restarts but takes about 5 minutes to reboot. I'm taking it back so I'm hoping this is grounds for a replacement.

18. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

you really should have an option for "never" or "rarely"

19. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

I don’t think it crashes for “everyone” there has to be a few people out there that don’t even use safari if you want to get completely literal.

My post is simply because I personally know at least 6 people with similar issues and have read about crashing on various forums since iDay June 2007

If it doesn’t affect you good count yourself lucky, I wish I was in the same boat but I am not. And I suspect there are many others out there with this problem, and would like to get a feel for what causes their devices to crash compared to my own experience.

Will this directly fix the problem….NO…but I would like to think that enough people conceding there is an actual problem, and would be grateful for a resolution, would somehow strike a chord with the fine boys and girls that are responsible and are capable of fixing this issue.

“Squeaky wheel gets the oil “ right?

20. Pandora01 macrumors regular

All told, I typically surf for about 1 to 2 hours a day, both wifi and 3G. I go to a lot of forums, including this one. I also go to a lot of news sites (CNN, CBC, etc.). Most of the time I'm on the mobile version of the news sites, but sometimes I do go to the full-version pages as well.

21. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

I will Concede that should have been in the original poll, and if one of the mods would add it, that would be fine

At the point of writing the post from my POV it really didn’t enter my mind, as I was more concerned with when safari does crash what are the circumstances.

22. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Im quite a heavy safari surfer on my iPhone and it crashes on me on a regular basis. Very annoying, especially if you are data inputting at the time. And add to the fact that you cant copy the text you are writing, just in case it does crash :mad:

This is something we need to get onto apple about because the frequency at which the crashes occur (especially with multiple tabs open or music playing) is unacceptable.

23. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

Something odd that I've noticed lately is that when I tap the screen a couple of times to navigate the webpage, the volume window appears, than safari crashes and the iphone goes back to the homescreen. Anyone else notice this?

24. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Why doesn't your poll include "My Safari doesn't crash" or "My Safari crashes once a week max"?

25. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

+1

From the time I had the iphone which was July 26, I had it only crash twice. I browse with 1-3 tabs open typically.