How many times has a case 'saved' your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplesAndOrangs, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

In light of the other case thread, how many times has a case saved your phone? Or has a case ever failed you and broke your phone?

When I didn't have a case, dropped my iPhone 4, got some scratches on the back. When I did have a case, didn't drop it at all. :D

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I dropped my 3GS (getting out of the car). It was in a case. It was fine.
    I got bumped walking with my 4 (in a craptastic case, but with no screen protector-at apple's urging). It shattered.

Now it's in an otter box with a screen protector. I'm happy with my device in a case.

3. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I have 5 kids, nuff said! My phone has been saved many times by being in a case.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

What's with all these threads about cases? It's all about personal preference. There's no need to make it sounds like a necessity.

Besides, there is a sub forum on accessories. They belong to there more.

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Lemme guess: you go bareback. :)

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

But let's be honest... You're much safer with a case than without. Before smartphones i used to only rock a case for a year

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

8. Hamiltonian macrumors member

I have a case and I drop my iPhone at least twice a week. The silicone sides of my SwitchEasy TRIM case do a great job of absorbing the shock of a fall. Best $20 I spent.

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have 4 of 'em. Saved many times as well. :D

10. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

I dropped my iP4 twice (once it landed flat face down :eek: ), both times it was saved by the case and I'm about to sell it as 'immaculate' for top dollar. ;)

Needless to say, the new 4S has been suited up since day 1.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not necessarily. I agree with silverblack but use a case. Do what you prefer.

12. DocMarlor macrumors member

DocMarlor

Sometimes it just depends on the mood I'm in. I'm lucky though, the one time my phone took a hefty fall, it was in a Speck Candyshell. I'm tempted to purchase an Otterbox, just so I know I'm always protected from just about anything.

13. CmdrThor macrumors member

This.

14. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I would love to use my iPhone 4S without the case; it feels so smooth and light in the hand in comparison to a bulky case, but my iPhone 4 was scratched while in my locker at work so since buying the iPhone 4S I have had it suited up with a protective flip case to prevent scratches.

Obviously this keeps the phone in a better condition if I want to sell it on when the IP5 comes out. :)

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

MULTIPLE TIMES.

I never had a case before i got an iphone, now i can't even go one day without it.

I haven't dropped my 4s yet, except for on the carpet from the couch or something. But my 3gs i dropped so many times from about waist height with a case on it and it was in pretty much like new condition when i sold it about 3 weeks ago.

16. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I use a case for work only. Naked any other time. I own a Otterbox defender grey and white, speck candy shell in white, I have a morphie juice pack air and I'm currently using a SGP Neo Hybrid II snow series which is my favorite of all. I like the candyshell for work. Only one I purchased was the SGP the rest were handed down to me or a gift. I'm most likely returning the SGP.....there still isn't a feel like going naked :)

17. skaguyy macrumors newbie

This was a complete brainfart moment, but last night i was listening to music on my phone and was working in my trunk, so I had the phone propped up on the rim of the trunk that sits against the back window.

Not thinking about it, I smash my trunk down and forget for about 10 minutes till I go to reach for my phone and realize what I had done.

I run over to my car, can see a part of the case sticking out from under the trunk lid and fear the worse. I open the trunk to see that not only is the screen still perfect, but the case wasn't even scratched and the music was still playing.

tl;dr: Otterbox Defender is the case for anyone who makes temporary lapses in judgement with their expensive devices.

18. antman2295 macrumors 6502

My speck candy shell has saved both my moms and I's iPhones sooooo many times! Since having these phones sinces Oct. 14th her phone has been run over by a car a couple times, and mine falls out of the car (3ft drop) every other day? Just recently within a hour i dropped my phone off the roof (10feet) then while climbing a tree i dropped it atleast 15feet, onto the groud. So speck has my graditude and i definatly will buy from them again!!!

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Agreed and also for those with children, like my 1 year old, who like to play with their phone.

20. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Mophie Juice pack saved my phone.

Parking concrete, bounced twice, cracked the corner of the case, gouged the back and where the camera would have been without the case and finished off on it's face. (also have a screen protector).

PHone completely undamaged.

21. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

At least three times.

All with various Otterbox cases.

A Defender kept it from being splashed with mud during a dune buggy jaunt while vacationing in the Dominican Republic last summer.

A Reflex kept it safe when it came loose from the SpiderPodium holder during a bike ride. It landed flat on its back on the asphalt road with no harm.

A Commuter helped when it slipped out of my pocket getting out of my car when there was water on the ground (from a shower).

23. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Never, since they've never been in a case (3G, 4, 4S).

I did once drop my iPhone 4 & crack the screen, it was a totally bone-headed move on my part. Had the screen replaced & moved on.

24. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

3GS rebel case- dropped it at least 3 times. After 1.5 years of use not even a scratch. Looked like brand new.
    iPhone 4 first when going naked I dropped and glass chipped and had lots of scratched on that seal around the screen. Apple genius replaced it for me. After that I put it in switcheasy rebel case and I dropped it twice. The second time I could not believe nothing happened. Traded the 4 for 4S. I have cheap screen protector on the front, Zagg on the back and Switcheasy Rebel case.

25. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

I have dropped my 4 twice. Both times while at work onto a concrete floor from about 4' up.

I only have a rubber Roots case (no damage), but it did bounce really good! :^)