How many times have you read Hitchhiker's giude to the Galaxy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YeahIKnow, Apr 7, 2008.

1. YeahIKnow macrumors member

With thirty years of the audio play safely under the towel I was wondering how many times fellow towel appreciators have read/listened to the story? I've read it far too many times as it's one of the few books in english you're guranteed to find in dingy hostels around Europe. There was also the time a few years back that I was stuck with a sony mp3 player (I didn't buy it - it was a gift!) which my friend pre-loaded with the entire seasons of the audio play. As I was cycling through the baltics I'd no choice but to listen to it repeatedly for weeks on end. They were good times! ;o)

Bear in mind the first person to say 42 times will have their brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick! :D

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Three & a half dozen, precisely.

BBC teleplay & recent movies, too.

Don't Panic!

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I think I've read that one book 4 times, and the rest of the series twice... Hitchhiker's Guide is definitely the best, they get too strange after it!

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just once. It's definitely worth reading, though. It's really pretty quick reading, and it's a classic.

6. smochs macrumors newbie

Don't have an exact figure on times read, but have read it twice in last three years as I picked up a copy while picking up textbooks in grad school. Any news on possible movie adaptations or remakes of rest of series? I actually enjoyed the movie remake with Mos Def as Ford Prefect a couple years ago!!!

7. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

Haha, brilliant! Did that require a lot of deep thought? :D

8. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

You know what, I did too! I couldn't have imagined a better imagineering of the Vogons. Mos Def also played a far better Ford Prefect than the orinal who was too "nicely inconspicuous". :D

As for new movies? I for one would not mind if they never made them. Can you imagine the scene where we'd have to see a naked Arthur Dent on the wing of an airplane? :(

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have never read it either.

10. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Once, it was enough. It was ok, but never saw what the appeal was. Addams wrote better books than this.

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

13. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

dirk gently? Last chance to see?

Maybe, it's a matter of taste. Definitely there's so much in the definition of a good book. But. and I mean seroously but, I seriously can't think of a single quote from adams ouside of a HH book!

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Maybe what I should have wrote was that a great many people wrote better books than this, IMO. Asimov, Heinlein, Laumer, Webber, Herbert, the list goes on for a while....

15. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

GRRRRRRR!!!!! :rolleyes:

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

before or after watching the movie? before? i thought about it a couple of times, after watching the movie decided never to,, lol,, I don t mean to upset anyone, it's just a matter of taste...

17. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

Exactly - I always hated the book until i heard the audio play repeatedly and repetedly. It's something you have to "get". It also helps if you're exposed to old English humor on a regular basis. As for new English humor I'd rather be exposed to gamma rays. Damn pleading the masses!

18. YeahIKnow thread starter macrumors member

I wish I didn't have an ex-girlfriend from warsaw as she stole a book from me which outlined Adam's criticism of Asimov. Unfortunatley it's one of the few times I can't agree with what he said because I really like Asimov. What Adams said was really awful though. Wish I had that book so I could tell you...

anyways, Yeah, definitely many people wrote bettter books depending on your definition of better. Adams was one of the true "wordsmiths" of the english language. I could start a Maggie furey thread in appreciation of her too, but I only started one for Doug because it's been thirty years. He deserves a nod ny now! :D

19. Aaon macrumors 6502

I've read it an obscenely large number of times. One of my favorite ever books. As someone pointed out, the next 4 books in the trilogy aren't quite as good, but still worth a read.

And if you're basing your reading decision off of the movie from a couple years ago, please reconsider. I felt the movie was lacking in so many things that make HHGTTG excellent. It's hard to capture the subtle humor of the book on film!

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sorry but I've never read it and thought the movie was bad.

Jitterbug Perfume on the other hand. Great book.

21. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

First book - several times. Its sequels got less and less appealing, but at least I've read through the whole story at least once. I also enjoy the BBC audio books regularly, but I don't know whether this counts.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

I've read all five books every year for about 10 years.:eek:

23. iFizz macrumors regular

"How many times have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?"

That sounds like the ultimate question.... :D

24. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

THe movie was terrible. But you can not compare the book with the movie. The book is MUCH better. If you don't want to read it, give the BBC recording of the play a try.

I've read is a dozen times. ( not 3.5 dozen, that's such an odd number....)