How many times should I bring my 2011 iMac in for repair?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JoeBlow74, Apr 1, 2013.

1. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Today I am driving to the Apple store to have them look at my iMac. This will be the 2nd time that I had Apple look at my iMac for what looks like dirt under my glass. Back on February 8th, Apple replace the LCD along with the back light due to what looked like dirt under the glass in the upper right corner. Two days ago, I noticed this vertical black bar of dirt on the left side of my screen. The question I am asking is, how many times should I just keep getting it fixed? Or should I just ask Apple to give me a newer 2012 iMac?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As many times as it takes.
    You can always ask for a replacement. Whether they give you one depends on the circumstances and the Apple rep you deal with.

3. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Yeah, if it isn't up to spec, you take it to Apple for service.

Call-backs or in this case, repairs are NOT a profit center for any business.

There may come a point in repeatedly repairing the same unit (for the same failure or different failures) where it is deemed financially prudent to simply replace the unit.

If the personnel at the Apple Store even think that you're attempting to get a new unit by "creating" issues with your computer . . . . . . I don't think you want to go there . . . .

Indulge the process in a good natured manner. Good luck.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Give it one more chance. Let it go for now, and if the problem comes back again (like in my case) or other failures occur, ask politely for a replacement.

I have the same experience, more over I had my old 2011 iMac repaired 5 times before they decide to replace mine with new shiny 2012 iMac.

Back at the time, my old iMac runs hot under loads, really really hot. No wonder so many failures occurred. Many many times.

5. JoeBlow74 thread starter macrumors regular

I took my Imac into the Apple store and the second I showed the tech the vertical streak he said, "it looks like a bad LCD". He said they have 2 new LCD's in stock in the back room and should take 24 to 48 hours to get fixed. I like my Imac. I really do. But, if I have to keep taking my iMac back to Apple every few months for a new LCD, I will ask for a new iMac. I should hear from the Apple store today. Maybe, just maybe, they will replace mine with a new 2012 version.

----------

Since you got your new 2012 iMac, have you had any issues with the screen like your old 2011 iMac?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

If Apple DOES replace your iMac, I wouldn't hold my breath for the latest model.

Sure, that happens sometimes, but you're far more likely to get a refurbished replacement.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Not yet .. I've only using it for 3 weeks now. Need more time to know, hope it does not get any more trouble otherwise I'd just bring it in, repair, and sell the damn unit and get anything Mac, just not the iMac.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Never heard of them replacing an old beyond repair unit with refurbished. They may use refurbished parts to repair the machines, but not CRU.
    They replace with better/newer systems to avoid issues, like from repairs.

I'd say if you're not extremely happy after this repair and something seems wrong or doesnt feel right I'd get ahold of the store again or contact AppleCare.

9. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

I also had my 2009 iMac screen repaired twice. Good thing it had AppleCare. 8 months after the first screen replacement, dirt or smudge on the corners appeared again.

10. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Apple only replaces with new current machines. The only thing that is replaced with refurbished devices are iPhones, iPads, iPods and other small devices. Computers are always new.