How many will best buy have? And how strict are they about gifting iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook yes, Jun 17, 2010.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I preordered 2 black 16GB iPhone 4s yesterday at Best Buy and they told me I was number 70 on their list. What do you think my chances of getting them on launch day are? If I can't (which I think is more likely), when do you think they will get more in stock? My phone is broken and I'm not sure if I should just get a Go phone if it will be longer than another week.

Another question: They didn't ask for a phone number for which accounts the upgrades are for. My mom and dad are the only ones eligible for an upgrade. The phones are supposed to be for me and my mother. My upgrade date isn't until september. My dad doesn't want a new phone and was planning on giving it to me and canceling the data plan under his name and I would get a data plan and stick my SIM in. I noticed this morning, however, that the iPhone 4 uses microSIM cards. I have a normal sim card from AT&T and I'm assuming that they will deactivate my dad's SIM and I would have to go to AT&T to get a new one for me and my dad(his phones uses a normal sim too. Will they let this work or not? We have never had iPhones before so I don't know how strict they are. We aren't even planning on activating it on my dad's account. He doesn't care that it will put him under another 2 year contract. We are on a family plan, and he is not very tech-savy and likes his old phone. This whole situation is starting to make me really nervous.

2. drewsky08 macrumors newbie

It depends on where you live. I'm in the Bay Area and I checked our system today, and most stores have about 50 "On Order" for the 16gb Black and about 20 or so "On Order" for the other ones (White included). Granted, that isn't a guaranteed number, as they haven't been allocated to the stores yet, but I'm willing to bet that if you're #70 on the list, I would get there bright and early to see if you can squeeze in ahead of someone.

3. Aelton macrumors regular

When you say 20 for the other ones I assume you mean 20 of each other model?

4. drewsky08 macrumors newbie

Yes, that is correct. But they are only "On Order", it doesn't mean we will receive that many. Once they become "Inbound Allocated", I can let you know for sure.