How many would admit you're a racist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macswitcha2, Mar 6, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

On the internet racism has no shame, it doesn't hide, its clear and bold yet the irony is that the racist can hide behind the screen. You discover racism on news sites, political sites and on message boards.

I wonder if we have racist members on this mac forum and if so, would they be just as bold as some are on other sites?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Racism is the idea that one race is better than another.

Problem is, we are the human RACE.

That aside, while most people that make "racist" jokes consider themselves somewhat racist, they likely don't, in fact, believe one or another race is better.

When I look at people, I do take into account their ethnicity the same way you take into account the color of the Fruit Loops in your bowl, you know but you just don't care.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

seriously, I think there are different kinds of racist people, those who don't know they're racist, those who sound like they never thought correctly in they're whole life nd those who actually attempt to sound intelligent.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I mostly bag out my own race (Chinese) between my mates. But racism, or hate, is quite a strong word. I don't think I know anyone like that.

(aside: should that question be phrased: how many would admit that they are racist?)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I admit. I've been living my whole life in eastern part of Helsinki and it was one of the most respected place to live before mid 1990s... Now about 50% of people are immigrants (mostly somali :mad:)...

I have nothing against asian or people who really tries to adapt, not just live with tax payers money but Helsinki will soon be Mogadishu...

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Everyone has likes and dislikes. And although those likes and dislikes may technically amount to racism. I think it's best to save that word for people who go out of their way to treat people differently based on race.

What about a guy who says, 'I really love black chicks'. Is he a racist because he prefers black women over other types of women? What about a guy who says, 'I really don't like black chicks?', is he a racist because he prefers others types of women over black women? Sometimes the way you express your like or dislike can get you labelled a racist depending on how you express yourself.

But as for someone who has no racial preferences - haven't met one yet.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really as the immigrants will have a far better life in Finland than they will in Somalia. And Helsinki is a fairly big city (500k) that I doubt half the population of east Helsinki is Somali. I also doubt that they don't work hard.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I went to a strip club and demanded asian, black, white in order preference, I am a racist.

I got a black girl btw.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It is interesting that irrespective of the country or the origin of the immigrants, they are so often portrayed as lazy, benefit bludgers, and critically failing to assimilate. I wonder how much truth there is to this and how much is just anecdotal?

12. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Sure, I hate Italians, Greeks, French, Serbians partially Spanish, partially Asians. But it's very generalized, so I can make exceptions.

I think I should've rather posted whom I don't hate.

We're all a little Nazi inside.

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think it's more a case of discrimination against the latest large group of immigrants that were really "different" than the people already in the country. For American history, during the 19th Century, the Irish and Italians were particularly discriminated against, just like the Hispanics are now and southeast Asians during the 1970's to early 1990's.

14. Queso macrumors G4

There is one nationality on the planet that I go out of my way to avoid dealing with, and that's only thanks to getting burned by dismissing others' comments towards them as racist. I know that my own behaviour in this regard is offensive to some, but will not get caught again.

So I suppose you could say I am racist towards this particular nationality. I'm pretty cool with everyone else though.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, we aren't.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If you're ever in Los Angeles you should visit the Museum of Tolerance. To enter there are two doors, one that says "prejudiced" and one that says "unprejudiced" and guess what, you can't get through the unprejudiced door. Racist is a strong word, while I don't think everyone is racist, nearly everyone is prejudiced to certain degree. With the exception of children perhaps.

17. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Yes, everyone is.:rolleyes:

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'll go with that.

No they aren't as race is pretty much a meaningless criteria of judgement.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Assuming this is true,and I believe it pretty much is for preschool children,what do you think is the reason for learned prejudices?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Probably a technique adopted by the insecure to reduce the competitive peer group to a more manageable size, learned from peers or parents.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh no- we aren't. :rolleyes: Some of us live and work with every kind of person one could think of. Some of us have gone out of our way to rid ourselves of our prejudices. It's a good way to live. You might want to give it a try.

22. No1451 macrumors 6502

Lee, usually I would agree with you but to a degree we all are prejudiced. Be it against social status, financial status, intelligence, race, sex, religious belief we ALL have some preference at some point. Anyone who claims they don't is either the best person to have ever lived or a damn liar.

At any rate, I'm not racist in the sense that I believe any race is better but there are some sorts of people that I avoid(and they tend to be from a few specific groups).

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree. All people have prejudices against some segment of the population.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But are those groups defined by race?

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    As a factor. Often some prejudices are applicable more to one race than another, so for a person who doesn't like a certain trait, they might come across a race that has that trait and will associate it with them. Is that racism, I don't know. But it's not hating on someone for their race per se.