How much 2020 Democrat presidential nominees gave to charity in 2017

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

DON'T see the relevance to them being able to lead based on charity donations. I DON'T like any of those mentioned but still don't see a big deal here.

3. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Romney is rich than all of the above combined so he doesn’t rely as much on his annual income as the people you listed.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

No it’s more about do as I say not as I do.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if we want to get real, most of the rich donate to offset what they pay in taxes, would not surprise me Romneys donations are to the church he attends . Amazon got away with paying no taxes by donating as well IIRC.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’m not as rich as any of those people and I gave more than that last year.

But yeah, I’m sure they’ll all be ready to tell us what a “fair share” is.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ok, from that angle it makes sense.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ah so Bernie & Co. donations were so low so they could pay more in taxes? Well, that 2011 figure I gave for Romney didn’t include over $1M in charitable donations that Romney left off so his tax rate would be at least 13%.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When public service pays so little what do people expect?

FWIW good on Romney for paying so much charity.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But then we also have to wonder about Trump's charitable contributions.. Oh wait: What contributions?

Or should we just brush over the hypocrisy?

BL.

11. Think creative macrumors regular

Romney is rich because he bought smaller companies, made false promises and then gutted them for scraps. He was a vulture, not some brilliant businessman. He killed thousands of jobs, and practices a very questionable sub sect of a religion that suggests he donate anyway. So yeah. Go on with this trolling if you want but it’s a bad package.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And after that he’s devoted himself to public service. So...

And he’s far from the worst member of Congress.

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Libs don't believe in charity, they are just saving money for the tax hike should they take office.

It's better to give to government, and let government decide who is worthy.

...and God said let there be tax, and there was tax, and it was good.:rolleyes:

14. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This is pretty surprising. Although I am not sure if this news would sway anyone's vote.

Americans are very charitable people, but stuff like this shows even if one is very well off, doesn't mean that they are charitable.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

God does say tax is good. Give to the
    Romans what is theirs and all that.

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's.

His money, it has his picture on it, give it back to him.

17. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m sure you’re right about Trump but I don’t engage in whataboutism. The Democrats are the ones out there saying Republicans are cruel and only care about the rich blah blah blah. OK Democrats if you care so much about the less fortunate put your money (not mine via increased taxes) where your mouth is.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019 ---
    Liberal politicians are charitable with other people’s money.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It is hard for man not to worship money, because we live in a physical world, thus we have physical needs.

Money buys the things we need, as well as the things we want, save love.

Money may not be able to buy love, but it often buys a substitute, tho a poor one.

US money did not depict any person, living or dead, for quite a number of years, I think it was in the yearly 20th century when Lincoln became the first real person placed on US money.

I think we were better off when money depicted Lady Liberty, thus we tended to project our love and need for money onto the ideal of liberty, rather then dead flawed men.

Tax, as it stands, is not necessary. It's funny how many liberals subscribe themselves to Marxist ideals, yet they fail to see that the State should control all credit creation, lay an interest rate, payable to the treasury in lieu of direct taxation to fund the Government.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It is very easy for one to be charitable when other people’s assets are given away.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not sure you can determine that much about a person's character, and not much more about a person's charitable nature, just by looking at raw percentages.

Many charitable donations are made to Churches. And some religions, particularly LDS (Mormons) have "requirement" that you donate a specific percentage as a "tithe." Not that the LDS isn't a legitimate charity, but its not quite the same as donating to the American Red Cross or a cancer research organisation.

And yes: people with higher incomes get a tax deduction that eases some of the burden.

I wouldn't condemn, or overly praise, anyone based solely on their level of charitable giving.

21. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

22. vrDrew, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

vrDrew macrumors 65816

That may all be true, but does that make Mitt Romney the best person to be President?

I mean, if you go down that route, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Michael Bloomberg all gave far more than Mitt Romney did. And I'm not sure I'd want any of those guys being President. (They are all smart, decent people. But that's not necessarily all you need to be President.)

And charitable giving doesn't necessarily buy you much street cred either. Ken Griffin (the Chicago hedge fund boss) gave almost $100 million to charities in 2017. But that didn't stop him being roasted in the press for buying a $238 million New York apartment. And I wouldn't want Ken Griffin being US President either.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Pretty sure the Biden's are the worst. They could squeeze a nickle better than anyone if memory serves.

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To tell them to put their money where their proverbial mouth is implies that there has to be a bar low enough for comparison. Since you didn't mention that bar, the lowest common denominator at the highest level would be the POTUS, in which he hasn't given any money even to his own charitable foundation in 11 years let alone any other charitable foundation, and the money he's given away from his foundation wasn't even his.

I mean, if you're going to take the higher ground and accuse others of putting their money where their mouth is, you seriously need to have your own yard in check, otherwise the grandstanding falls completely and totally flat.

My point about the hypocrisy stands.

BL.