How much aid should we give Haiti?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Just curious. It’s a logical question.

Do we give all it takes to rebuild a country of 10 million people? For example, if we gave 10,000$ per person for rebuilding, it would cost us 100 billion dollars….or said another way, we would have to borrow 100 billion from our grandchildren (w/ interest) to pay for it!

Personally, I do not think we need to break the bank giving aid.

I can see free aid, for as far as 90 to 180 days. However, past this, I think aid should be on a low/no interest loan basis with a generous repayment timeframe (e.g. 10 to 20 years). In addition, aid should not, I repeat NOT, include taking refugees into the United States; especially considering we have 10% unemployment. Send them to Gitmo for no longer than a year, not the US.

What do others think?

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I think sending Manpower and Medical Supplies would be more effective than just throwing money at them which could be abused and used for corrupt purposes.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Regardless of how much we give, some snooty European politician will say we need to raise taxes so we can do more.

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

It is Christian to help in a natural disaster; we should be as charitable as we can be, as a nation, as we always are, to the victims and their survivors during this terrible tragedy in Haiti. We should extend as much aid as we can, to help their nation during this unfortunate disaster. That said, the question you should ask is how much aid would Haiti extend to us? How much did Haiti help us during Katrina for example? That answer should have no bearing, mind you, on our charity and our giving during this disaster... but it is illustrative of the benevolence of the United States and American exceptionalism; something our leader has spend his time stupidly apologizing for on the world stage....

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Enough to recover from this disaster, which probably isn't that much - and lots of countries will be donating money - not just the US.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

While I admire your charitable giving, I am disgusted by your need to politicize a natural disaster. It's also rather disgusting to use the death and suffering of hundreds of thousands to pat yourself on the back.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

It's a human response to a terrible tragedy to help those in need. You're no more of a Christian than my shoe based on the values you espouse here so often. If you think he's busy apologizing to the world because we are so generous then that's a hilarious spin yet again.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Have you noticed that Haiti is an impoverished country? Why would you expect them to give 'us' any real help after Katrina? And furthermore, why would it matter? You say you're a Christian. Before Jesus healed someone, did he check to see if they had ever healed someone before?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Jesus Christ would be turning in his grave to hear your empty speeches.

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

How would a tiny, very poor island make such a huge difference when offering aid to the richest and most powerful nation? Surely the US financially should of been able to cope with Hurricane Katrina?

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink we give it all. They'd probably find better uses then we do for F22 Raptors.

How much money would you give to Germany to recover from the Holocaust?

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would send in people armed with medical equipment and tools to dig people out and rebuild essential buildings like hospitals and any sort of public center to house the now homeless.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

And the homeless that were there before.

The world would be a much worse place with InTheNet and Full of Win running it, much worse.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That sounds like a good start.

16. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

That is the question. For example, I was taking pictures in Atlanta this weekend ice skating and someone asked for some money to 'help him get to Birmingham' - I gave him nothing. I had about 3,000$ of camera in my hands at the moment, and if I was as giving as I could have been, I could have given it too him and told him to sell it. However, as with everything, there has to be a limit on what we can give.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. What ridiculous anecdote. I'm not even sure what your point is.

18. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Jesus Christ rose from his grave; at least try to understand basic knowledge!

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

He was making a joke. I'm a Christian, and I found it funny. And go ahead and ignore all the substantive criticism in this thread like you do in every other one.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There seems to be an almost limitless fund of irrelevant and spurious rationalising of indifference in this thread.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I gave my money to Haiti, the fact that we need to argue over whether saving lives is worth it is as rdowns hinted at - disgusting.

InTheNet & Full of Win, how much are you giving personally?

I gave $30.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing of course. Haiti hasn't done anything for them.

23. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Full of Win asked a basic question as the Thread Starter; I responded to that question... Others since have decided to ignore the question and respond to my post! That's a substantive criticism; respond to that if you wish, or respond to Full of Win's premise.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

And some have done both. Keep avoiding the question.

It's sad, but if Wyclef's life depended on me giving x – I'd probably do it. He's one of my favorite musicians (talking top 5 or so) and I've met him. He also does some good.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not really the point. More interesting to watch them digging their little holes.