How much are you giving up or gaining from a 3.6 duo i5 to a 2.92 quad i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shuggashane, Aug 13, 2010.

1. shuggashane macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a new computer and I am deciding between two options. Both new 27" iMac's. Difference being:

Option 1: 3.6 i5 duo with 8gb ram
    Option 2: 2.92 i7 quad with 8gb ram

I am a designer who utilizes the adobe suite, final cut, and am interested in playing with after effects and cinema 4D.

The dilemma I am having is that yes, I know that adobe and the cinema programs utilize multi-core processing and so the quad core seems more fit. But the jump from 3.6 down to 2.92 seems a bit large. Will the i7 quad make up for the the gap from the 3.6 i5 duo?

Help is appreciated, Thanks.

2. nobias macrumors regular

Despite the clock speed being slower, the i7 has 2 more cores for a total of 8 threads running simultaneously, twice as many as the i5 duo. It also has 8mb l3 cache vs 4 on the i5 duo.

The i7 is considerably faster.

3. peakchua macrumors regular

yes it will. a 2.66 i5 will own a 3.6 ghz c2d. like a 3.33 vs a 2.66. the 2.66 (from previous generation) is fasst. but the 2.8 i5 is even faster. combinied with 1333mhz ram and better gpu + better architecture. its all good

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7-870 goes up to 3.6GHz with Turbo so it's very capable. More apps will take advantage of extra core in future, including Final Cut so if you want to "future-proof" your purchase, get the i7