How much battery does heart rate monitor use?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 3rdiguy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Has anybody tested this on their own yet? Is there any comparison made as to a day with heart rate monitoring off versus one with it on?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is no option to turn the heart rate monitor on/off. However, this is how/when it works.

- If you use the workout app the heart rate monitor is active the entire duration of the workout regardless if the screen is on or not. this is how it determines how many calories are being burned.
    - If you need to know your heart rate at any given time you can go the glance and it will measure your heart.
    - The heart rate monitor will also measure your heart rate on its own when your arm is still through out the day.

Given all this information the watch still easily lasts 1.5 days on 1 charge.

3. Kapybarus macrumors member

You cant turn it off from iphone/apple watch/privacy. Cant say id it is better for battery, too little time

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I think one CAN turn of the HR monitor, in privacy and fitness.. just move that toggle to off. This was discussed prior to wOS2 coming out.

As for power, I find that in general use the watch loses about 3% an hour, but in a workout it loses between about 9 and 11% an hour.

I've done 5+ hour workouts with all HR being tracked, what, every 6 seconds or something? And had about 50% battery life left.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's not really turning it off. It's more like crippling it.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

but what does it do then? when I turned it off, I got no green light and no readings in the iphone app? Are you saying the optical sensor is still working but just not storing data?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That setting is for people who feel that their heart rate information is too private and do not want the watch to track it. It wasn't intended to be a simple on/off switch. If it was it wouldn't be in the privacy section.

But you are correct it literally does turn off the sensor.