How much better do you think the battery life will be on the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 7, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Think we will see a big or minor difference?

Would of thought iOS 5 would demand more battery life given all the new features.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

About the same. Better battery but since iOS 5 will likely want more it won't feel any different. Even if they say it is, I doubt anyone would successfully get the battery life out of the iPhone as advertised; too many variables.

3. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

I have iOS 5 and initially the battery sucked horribly. I would have to charge it multiple times a day because I text a lot. But then Beta 7 fixed most of these issues. It seems to have the same battery life as my phone did back on 4.3.x so I dont think the demand is that much greater on the phone to the point that it suffers from it.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hate to be that guy, but it's not out - our opinions won't alter the design of the iPhone.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If I had to guess based on what we know so far about IOS 5 and what's rumoured about the iPhone 5, I'd say the battery life will be about the same or slightly better than the iPhone 4 currently has. My reasoning for this is (assuming this rumour is true), the iPhone 5 will have a bigger screen, thus warranting a slightly bigger case which would have room for a slightly better battery. But, this slightly better battery will need to provide a bit more power for the slightly bigger screen. Plus IOS 5 has more data centred features, thus using more battery. But, if the iPhone 5 ends up having the A5 processor, then it will have better power management. So really all I think it'll be about the same (which honestly wouldn't bother me since the iPhone 4 gets great battery life).

6. JMC08 macrumors regular

If they do do the 4S, I could see a significant battery life improvement be the other major change. Something like 25 percent more talk time and internet usage sounds right. If the battery isn't changed, then there will be at least one more thing improved upon besides the A5 and the camera.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I predict more of the same or a tad better. Seeing all these dual core phones doesn't seem to improve it much and having new features on iOS5 will be demanding more power. Look at Android and what a resource hog it still is. I see the battery life similar to if you compared iPad 1 (A4) vs iPad 2 (A5). Not much of a difference.

If it can last an entire day in most cases, I'd be content with it. I think it would still be better than most Android phones when it comes to battery life. We need to keep these batteries topped off anyway. So if it goes down to even 30-50%, charge it again. Better to have more shallow charges. I was guilty of doing these deep charges almost everyday just because I enjoyed testing it and seeing how long I can go with it. I always wanted to get 10 hours of Wi-Fi usage. Once I began turning off the batt % for most of the day and just charging it once it got below 30%, then my worries for battery life went away. Also, I don't always trust the usage time on my iPhone. It sometimes creeps up without me doing anything with it.

8. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

this is a rumor site, we speculate.

if the screen is the same size, then i predict a about the same battery life, but a better battery and dual core arm so it will be a wash.

But i don't think it will. I think we'll get a bigger screen, and with the extra real estate to play with apple will throw in a dual core arm chip and more ram, and a bigger battery. With all that, probably a minor improvement like 5-10% or so.

If they can increase the battery life and have a bigger screen that will be huge, battery life seems to be the major complaint about the big android phones.