Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wasn't sure where to put this thread.

My current laptop has a 2.0 Dual-Core Intel Celeron processor, and the laptop I'm looking into getting has an i7 1.6ghz processor.

Which would be better and how much by? These icore processors confuse me.

nightwolf

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Ontario, CANADA
duo core vs i3, 5, and 7

I study film and rendering Final Cut in a duo core takes a very long time in a laptop with 2.4 ghs with 4 mb of ram. The same work just takes a few minutes with an i3 imac with 4 mb.

All I know is, I aint buying a duo core just to save money. One job took me three hours to render. It's not even funny.

Wasn't sure where to put this thread.

My current laptop has a 2.0 Dual-Core Intel Celeron processor, and the laptop I'm looking into getting has an i7 1.6ghz processor.

Which would be better and how much by? These icore processors confuse me.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Remember that Ghz is only a very small peice of the overall puzzle. Fact of the matter is that Celeron is a very old technology that is much slower. The Core iX's have newer faster tech, that allows them to perform far more much faster, even at a lower clock speed.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Remember that Ghz is only a very small peice of the overall puzzle. Fact of the matter is that Celeron is a very old technology that is much slower. The Core iX's have newer faster tech, that allows them to perform far more much faster, even at a lower clock speed.

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking at the HP Envy 17 to replace my ageing Packard Bell Easynote LJ65. I know its "Mac" Rumors, but this is by far my favourite tech site. Good info for my iPhone and iPad too.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Thanks for the tips, I'm looking at the HP Envy 17 to replace my ageing Packard Bell Easynote LJ65. I know its "Mac" Rumors, but this is by far my favourite tech site. Good info for my iPhone and iPad too.

LOL I know what you mean...I recently joined this site and find myself on here more than any other site these days...

btw Holy Crap! I didn't even know Packard Bell still existed! Also, I love your signature.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yea had it nearly 2 years now, was really faithful through Vista, upgraded it to Windows 7 and a few problems started. Namely I don't think there are any Windows 7 display drivers for my video card, so occasionally it can BSOD because it encounters a hiccup with the Vista drivers.

I figure if I get a laptop built from the ground up for Windows 7, it'll work better.

And wow, you got that forum rank quickly, you must be posting like crazy.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
And wow, you got that forum rank quickly, you must be posting like crazy.

LOL my stats say about 12 posts a day, which I don't think is much, since I'm probably on here about 8 hours a day. I lead a very boring life. I hadn't even noticed the forum ranks, or even knew what they mean, till you mentioned it here.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
LOL my stats say about 12 posts a day, which I don't think is much, since I'm probably on here about 8 hours a day. I lead a very boring life. I hadn't even noticed the forum ranks, or even knew what they mean, till you mentioned it here.

I've recently started posting much more since I've gone back to work from my training course.

Definitely going with the i7 now, it just confused me before by saying it was a lower Ghz. But I see now.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I had to use a Pentium4 3,0 Ghz at work today because all the "new workstations" (all Core i3 and above) were in use.. It's awful, I honestly don't know how we could ever have used those. Startup takes ages, compiling takes ages, archiving takes ages..

Although a C2D is not comparable to a P4... go with the new tech ;) I just wanted to point out that clock speed is not all that matters

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
I have two laptops, a MBP with a 2.8 GHz C2D processor, and a Dell Precision m6500 with a 1.6 GHz i7 processor. I was running rendering tests in maya on both laptops yesterday(which only uses the processor), and the i7 was ahead, but only by about a second (granted, the render was about 20-25 seconds anyway). You should notice a difference in apps coded for multi-processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.