How much better is the Verizon iPhone over AT&T in San Francisco or New York?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oban14, Feb 25, 2011.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I was hoping to get some feedback on those who had the iPhone on AT&T and switched to Verizon, how much of an improvement it was, and if there are any aspects of the Verizon iPhone which are worse.

Any opinions out there?

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

For me, in NYC AT&T voice reception is literally perfect. Can't be any better. That being said, data during peak hours is literally the most frustrating thing in the world. In Soho & Midtown, I literally can't connect to the Internet unless I'm on wifi. After about 7pm everything works great again.

3. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Data is my main concern. So you're still on AT&T or have you tried Verizon? Is the data better on Verizon?

4. alent1234, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

alent1234 macrumors 603

i just traded my iphone 3GS for a HTC phone on AT&T in NYC.the HTC works in elevators and inside buildings unlike my iphone. it still has a death grip with the wifi. i love the 4.3" screen and will keep the phone.

the downside is that android sucks in a lot of ways compared to iOS. it literally is a perpetual beta like most of google's products. after less than a week with it my favorite features are the screen, ability to play media apple won't support, web based android market and that it was cheap. and in 18 months a nice android phone will be free instead of paying money. and the android market sucks compared to the app store.

my wife's iphone 4 had crazy issues and replacing it solved them. she had slight water damage and it was covered under apple care

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I'm still on AT&T b/c when I spoke to customer service about it, they said they are adding 52 new towers in Manhattan by March 31st. A friend of mine has Verizon and while his data speeds are consistent throughout the day, it is definitely slower than AT&T's speeds when there is no congestion.

6. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Data speed isn't as important to me as data reliability. When I see 5 bars and I load up a web page, it needs to work. I also got sick of getting no texts/emails for several hours and then suddenly receiving them all at once.

These are the main issues I want to see resolved. I'm curious which problems I had were due to the iPhone and which were just due to AT&T.

Didn't anyone here switch from AT&T to Verizon?

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

With AT&T's 4g network will there building penetration signal be better at all???