How much bigger a third party power adapter would be to have the ports people want

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wisestar, Mar 14, 2015.

1. wisestar macrumors newbie

People have been complaining about the single USB-C port on the new macbook, since we will need a power adapter anyway and USB-C is not a proprietary port like MagSafe, I am wondering if Belkin / Kingston / Twelve South / other vendor would develop a new USB-C power adapter with the following features (from most important to the least):
    1. USB 3.0
    2. Thunderbolt 2
    3. HDMI / DVI
    4. SD Card reader
    5. Ethernet Port
    6. External Hard drive (another 512GB maybe)
    7. Built-in power bank
    8. Some Magsafe-like mechanism to prevent tripping (the other end of the power cord)
    9. Concealed Cable management

I am not a tech savvy so I don't even know if this is even feasible to build, but if some of these can be implemented into a power adapter (not much bigger than the apple one), it will be a very cool kit to have. I would pay up to $150 for the 1,2,3,4,5 and more for the rest.

Isn't this a good idea?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm positive we'll see a dock of sorts that has at least 1, 3, 4 and 5.

The chipset in the MB (I believe) just does not support Thunderbolt from a technical standpoint. It however (I believe) can at least do DisplayPort.

3. wisestar thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be just a dock or can these can be built into a power adapter?

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Why HDMI it only supports 1080p. I hope they have a dock with display port and usb at minimum. Even better would be a USB C screen 4k with usb hub one plug and done.

5. wisestar thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on people, share your thoughts and inspire us all to buy this beautiful little machine.

6. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

The Dell Power Companion is almost what I'm looking for. A 10,000-20,000mah power bank that also has 2 USB ports. Make those USB-C ports so I can add in any display adapter I need and I'm done. I'm not worried about the cost of adapters. In a few months Monoprice and others will have any adapter you need for cheap.

The Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock is a similar concept with better ports.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of ideas to choose from and multiple third parties will have answers for the macbook. I can't wait for the 10th.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

With that many ports; it would be more akin to a docking station than just an adapter. If it is a big docking station, I would prefer it to be sufficiently solid to not go flying off the table if a cable gets yanked.