How much can you REALLY use with AT&T's unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Nov 8, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I am curious to as how much data one can use with this plan? 10GB, 50GB, 100GB+??? If you exceed lets say 50GB could they take the plan away from you as this is abusing it and put you on the 2GB plan? Just curious?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Under the terms and conditions, they cannot take it away. All they could do it throttle you.

3. audigates macrumors newbie

They would just slow your data speeds drastically making it hard for you to use that much probably once you passed around 12-15

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you use unreasonable amounts, I guess they'd just assume you are tethering and switch your plans.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Probably more than 10GB/per month and u will get slowed down.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We still don't know at what amount of data used they start the throttling.
    I wonder if it varies per account and location or if it's a set amount for all?

7. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Anyone know when the throttling actually starts? If you are tethering then yes I could totally see them yanking the plan but what if you consume an excessive amount on your smartphone. The plan is for unlimited smartphone data so they couldn't yank it that way.

8. Helixc0de macrumors regular

I got up to 151GB one month because I was selling my hot spot at a airport in the middle of nowhere. I made over $900 in a matter of hours. They never contacted me nor throttled my plan. This was my last billing cycle

9. RRNYC macrumors member

I use my iPhone quite heavily. I don't steam movies but am constantly surfing the web, using pandora and accessing docs from my MobileMe/ iCloud. The most data I've used in one month was 3.6gb.

I couldn't come close to 10gb per month

10. bengtc macrumors regular

I watch netflix everyday on lunch break, I use about 10 gb a month

11. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

And tomorrow you get audited. :D

12. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

13. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

What do you do to use that much?

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I never had anything less than unlimited with AT&T. Nor have I experienced throttling. It's the best company I've ever done business with.

Apple is their equal, with the only exception being the extremely horrible Antennagate iPhone. For the last five years I've used two lines. The last three years, one has been an Android along with my usual iPhone.

Now that Apple's 4S has a phone that works, I don't even mind Batterygate. I just use my GSGII when at noon the iPhone craps out.

Even that's only temporary for a year. I'm sure by next year Apple will have learned it's lesson like it did with Antennagate, and we'll have a fully functional iPhone.

In the mean time if you can only afford one phone I strongly suggest a Samsung SII. Every carrier has them. They are wonderful, high quality no limits phones. They have many features the iPhone lacks like Flash. And they don't have useless gimmicks.

I just can't say enough good things about the spacious beautiful 4.3" screen. You Tube & Movies are wonderful. I use it a lot.

I'm really hoping that Apple will be more open minded now. With Cook at the helm I see wonderful opportunities & none of the ego driven road block that prevented Steve from upgrading to modern standards like screen size.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

p0rn maybe ;P

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

In my last billing cycle (ended yesterday), I went over 50GB on a non-smartphone unlimited plan and didn't get a letter/ text from them. Granted, they've only said they'll throttle smartphone users, but I figured they would notice 50GB of usage.

I think I'll aim for 100GB this month.

17. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

No wifi?

18. antman2295 macrumors 6502

WOW NICE! Not to the data use, but to the fact you were smart enough to make some money off what you had :D

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am kind of what to know what the tethering point is.

20. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. A lot of it. My school has crappy Internet between the hours of 12pm and 2am so hspa+ on the iPhone 4S is way faster.

21. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah that will do it. I was reading on those who obtained the grandfathered plan via the original iPhone unlimited plan. If you signed up obviously way after June 2010 and somehow got the original plan on your account, could AT&T yank it or do the same terms and conditions apply. Obviously, if you don't abuse it.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

They could yank it if they wanted on any account... whether it was signed before or after June 2010.

The contracts are only good for 2 years. After that time, they have no obligation to continue it or to re-offer a similar one. This would mean that anyone who recently resigned would have an additional 2 years of unlimited before AT&T could change anything, but there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

have to see that pic lol

24. cinetic macrumors newbie

Generally I use about 1.5 - 1.7GB per month and I am literally attached to my phone at all times, with it always on, always downloading something. However, I am generally on wifi. Last month I got rid of my cable modem because I was moving around, so I used my phone for everything - usage shotup to almost 7GB, and I tethered on my Android a little bit, but no SMS from AT&T or throttling.

My general stance is... don't abuse your privilege if you have this grandfathered feature, instead try to be on wifi whenever possible. If you want to stream Netflix for a month on 3G, I wouldn't feel guilty, but I was doing that 24/7 in a place that had wifi, I might. =) Tragedy of the Commons...

25. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Stupid question but how would one tether from their iPhone to iPad or MacBook Pro?