How much could i get for an iPhone 5 16gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

Im happy with my iPhone 4 & I'm eligible for an upgrade , i guess it will be $200 plus $30 to upgrade

How much could i get selling the new iPhone 5 new in the box after i get it , the 16gb model

What were the prices on ebay and other sites of the iphone 4s right after it came out?

2. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Hard to say, a lot of it depends on how limited supply is at launch.

I remember that because the Retina display Macbook Pro's were in such a short supply at launch, people were putting them on ebay for twice their RRP.

I would have thought you will get probably 10-20% on top of what you paid for it, though.

3. Nathan20 macrumors regular

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

So when i get the iphone 5 should i activate it or leave it in the box ?

5. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Put an ad on eBay a few days before it actually goes for sale. Free overnight shipping. Set Buy it Now slightly above the average which will be around $600. leave it in the box, don't activate or open or anything

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I'll give you 10 bucks. :D

i'll probably get outbid.

7. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

If you're looking to buy & flip the newest iphone...

you gotta do a LOT better than 16gb. I'm hoping this next one goes 32, 64, 128 gb which in theory would be logical for a 4g LTE phone with a wider screen [movies].

I learned with my ipad.. ALWAYS buy the highest gigabyte if you're looking to resell

8. tann macrumors 68000

Not gonna go to 128. Heck the iPad hasn't even gone to 128gb! Imagine the cost of 128gb storage cards! (especially since the iPhone so far has used 1 vs the iPod touches for example 2).

9. 617aircav Suspended

Think it will be activated at time of purchase.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you dont do the initial first activation that asks for the last 4 of your social and billing zip code the buyer will not be able to activate it.

Attached Files:

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wait until a few days after launch which stocks run low and stores are awaiting the 2nd wave of shipments. Demand will be highest then (as will prices).

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sell it overseas to a country (China for example) that does not get it on launch day.

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

keep it in the box sealed and dont activate it to get the best value. you will get $600 easily

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Honestly, I don't remember that screen haha. If someone has att can't they use their own information?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you get it mailed to you or bought it at an AT&T or apple store?
    I got it shipped to me and had to input that before it would activate.
    Its a security measure.
    If they use their own info it will not activate since the particular device is tied into someone elses contract. You will never see that again besides the first time the iphone is activated out of the box.
    Many people have that problem when selling their upgrades unopened every year, just giving a heads up that's all;)

16. 617aircav Suspended

Not true because those willing to pay top dollar would have already bought theirs in the first wave. Sell asap.

17. Che Castro, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

So just to be clear
    Do i activate the phone or not before selling?

18. kannesss macrumors 6502a

Try to get one pre launch day, and you can name your price.

19. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

?????

20. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I hate people like you. That is all.

21. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Just to point out, after the announcement today it is pretty obvious there won't be a huge mark up for iPhones in the secondary market anymore. Even with the iPhone 4S and iPad 3's, many of those waiting outside Apple stores to buy iPhone's and iPads to sell on ebay returned them later on because there wasn't much of a secondary market. This is only going to further drop the value now that Apple is planning on selling the iPhone 5 to over 20 different countries within the first 2 weeks! Before if you were in another country, your only way to get an iPhone without waiting 2-3 months before it was released was to go thru ebay. Now it's going to be available everywhere within weeks. Why pay a 200% mark up for something you just have to wait a couple of weeks for?

Now, if you buy for $200 and can sell it for $600 and are happy with your iPhone 4 for the next 2 years (until your next upgrade and assuming the battery holds out cuz that'll set you back another $100 right there and you don't care about turn by turn directions or any of the features the iPhone 4 won't get), then go for it. $400 will probably pay for your iphone 4 for what 4-6 months? Not a terrible thing....

Edit: I did forget about paypal fees and ebay fees, so your $400 in profit will drop to about $300-$350 pretty quickly.