Price Advice How much could I get for my brand new in box 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro on ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boombox15, Jul 21, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I hear that there COULD be new Retina MacBook Pro's coming out this Wednesday. I bought one on July 9, and that is just a day outside my return policy. So, I have not opened it yet and if there are new MacBook Pro's on Wednesday, I would sell it on ebay, make it a one day auction, collect the funds and buy it as soon as possible.

It is the newest model that retails for $2799.00 with a 2.7GHz processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB Flash Storage.

But, I don't know how much I could get for it. I would like to get at least $2400, but if the prices on the new models reduce, then maybe at least $2200. But if the prices are the same, I would like to get at least $2300-2500. Does anybody think that is possible with a one day auction? I would also like to know a good starting price for my one day auction. But of course, if nothing happens on Wednesday, then I won't sell it.

Thanks!

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Why not return it today and just wait and see if anything happens ? If not then purchase a new one?

3. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Selling on eBay is better for me. I don't have time to return it now.

4. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

5. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

6. nickbarbs macrumors regular

not trying to **** on your thread but how is it quicker to go through the hassle and get less money + ebay fees option (takes a few days) vs trying a direct return with apple (takes minutes of your time) if you're only 1 day outside the window?

Unless of course you don't have "time" e.g. the transaction wasn't on your credit card and 2nd hand market is your only option

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

What was the purpose of buying a new rMBP on July 9th and not opening the box until now? Were you staring at it during the day and using it as a pillow during the night?... :D

8. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

If I do a return through Apple, it will take 7-10 days for it to get there, 3-5 days to get refunded. That whole process can would take me up to August 12. If I do it through eBay, it could take me a week at most.

Now, will someone please answer my question?

9. walczyk, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013

walczyk macrumors newbie

$2000 maybe. You're losing hundreds for maybe 5 days difference.

10. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i think is the wrong decision but is your $
    one day action 1100$ to begin and then go from there,thats my opinion.
    u know it takes 21 days for paypal to put the money in your account?
    and to transfer to bank another 3 days?

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm also confused as to why you bought it July 9 but haven't opened it. Why not return it now?

12. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I have had several paypal things that only take 2-4 days to go to my bank account. Pretty fast.

And I have the buyer pay within 12 hours of the auction ending. If they don't, the item is relisted.

----------

:(
    The model I have sells for $2799. I see an auction that ends in a few hours that has a bid of $2225 and that is my same model brand new. Feel good about getting at least $2200.

13. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

if apple does release a new model on wednesday i bet they wont be on stores for sometime. So its better you issue a refund at the soonest, get the refund and then get your self the new baby.
    Im hooked on to seeing what the specs are, mines in the service center might possibly get a confirmation in these 2-3 days about my replacement due to issues.

14. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I think he didn't open it because he bought it for his birthday which I think is on July 23th... :)

15. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Return it. It will be very tough to get $2800 for it on eBay with all the other auctions selling the same machine for a lot cheaper. I bought mine for $2100 shipped a couple of months ago...same specs.

You can return at any Apple store in person since it's brand new and you will get your money back right there - no waiting.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So even if you get $2200 for it, you also have to pay the 10% final value fee to eBay, correct? That puts you at $1980. You lose over $800 because you aren't just returning it to Apple.

You don't have an Apple store within driving distance?

17. Unn4 macrumors newbie

...or it is a stolen rMBP... Obv I see no reason not returning it yourself or call apple care... (I am sure they can make exception for one extra day... my mum returned her iPad after using it 20 days)

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Losing $500 is nuts man :rolleyes:, don't stupid enough to do that. Even driving 30 minutes to a hour to return it is worth it. PayPal is NOT going to let go of $2,000+ in a few days, they're going to wait until it's in the buyer's hands. And knowing eBay/PayPal, they are ABSOLUTELY not going to be on your side if something goes wrong.

19. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I can sympathise.

It is buyer's remorse. I've done that in the past.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't understand why you wouldn't make use of rush shipping for the return if necessary. You can probably call Apple regarding return instructions. These things have been out for a year, and you'll never get everything back on upgraded options unless those options are highly sought after. I don't understand your logic. If you will be burnt on resale, why not just use it? Is there some weird obsession with having the latest thing no matter what?

Also people say a lot of things. It could be september. Clearly you spent too much on upgrades. There is very little difference between the 2.3 and the 2.7. Learn a lesson from this and do not make impulse buys.

He said 7-10 days to get there. Perhaps he's in a different country from where he purchased it? Driving 30 minutes doesn't add up to 7-10 days of shipping. You can overnight it across the US without too much of a financial impact.

21. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

2-4 days if its a small <$500 verified transaction. That much (>$2k)---it'll take longer than 48 hours to both clear the buyer's CC company and the transition to PayPal back to you. Maybe not a month, but it'll take a bit. PayPal and eBay fees included with Apple announcing a brand new model the day you list it won't help either. Guaranteed you won't see $2200 for that machine if a new model hits. That'll drop the price at least another 10-20%. eBay one day auction buyers of a computer like that aren't dumb. Best you'll do is $1700-1800 in your pocket IF a new model pops and you list it on eBay
    Smart move...if you're not close to an Apple store, call them and up a return...they'll receive it in a day or two....another two or three to credit you back. Less than a week and you've not lost a cent. Don't lose your sense and cents over this move. Send it back to Apple and wait out the new model. Even if it doesn't happen Wednesday its going to happen in the next 90 days most likely...and possibly sooner than later ;)
    You've got a killer computer (I've got the same model and love it)--- but as close as we are today to the Haswell release you'll either be able to A) get a new model with any new goodies that go with that or B) you'll be able to save several hundred dollars on your current rig in Apple's refurb store
    Good luck
    J

22. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Like everyone else here, don't go the Ebay route, just return it to Apple! Please remember you will loose an extra 6-7% on Ebay/Paypal fees if you sell it there, which on a $2k transaction is over $120

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, you're forgetting a couple of things, regarding ebay.

Returning it is better while you have to wait a week or so if you return it, you potentially will wait longer on eBay.

1. Setting it up as an auction you have to have wait for the auction to end, and if it doesn't meet the reserve you relist.
    2. Setting it up as a buy it now - you may not sell it immediately.
    3. Ebay/paypal fees will eat into your purchase price, furthr increasing the difference between what you paid and what you'll get.
    4. You'll have to wait until the buyer gets the computer before breathing a bit eaisier. If he disputes the sales paypal will suck the money out of your account.
    5. Risk (see #4) and headaches from disputes

You're basically throwing money away and not getting any speed difference, i.e., you're not saving time as you postulated. It will take as long if not longer to get your money and it will be much less then what you paid for the computer

24. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I want to list it on eBay IF there really are new MacBook Pro's this Wednesday is that I bought this computer from the Apple Retail Store on July 9 when I was on a vacation. I returned home on July 17 and right when I was about to open it, I came across this thread and decided to wait one week to see what happens. I am no longer near any Apple Store and I DID call apple about this and they said that it has to be returned to a store, whitch I am no longer near one, nearest one is 2 hours away. So selling on eBay makes perfect sense. I have been selling Apple products on eBay since 2011 so I know what to expect.

25. SilverOath macrumors member

You might wanna research selling laptops on eBay. There is a very high rate of being scammed on eBay, and eBay generally sides with the BUYER not the SELLER. Not to mention unless you frequently sell high value items on eBay PayPal will likely place a multiple week hold on the funds.

But there are several types of scam. I'll mention a couple of the major ones.

FIRST: Since there is ZERO risk at creating a eBay account scammers usually create new accounts and bid on laptops. Since they actually have no intention of ever paying they will usually end up as the top bidder (winner) and then try to trick you into thinking they sent payment with fake messages. If you're a smart seller this won't get you - but it will waste your time (at least two weeks, week for your auction, week for eBay to cancel the winning bid thereby releasing your liability as a seller). (Note: Scan the SOLD auctions on MacBooks - you'll notice there are a lot of "SOLD" auctions where they sell for more than what it would cost new....

SECOND: "Buyer: Seller sent me ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED." It can be a completely fabricated lie - but eBay will automatically side with the buyer, telling them to return item. You'll get back an empty box, broken laptop (not the one you sent), or other similar situation where you don't get your nice new working laptop back. You can cry up a storm but eBay and PayPal will not do anything....

... now on top of all this you're going to lose ~200-300 in eBay & PayPal fees, as well as the loss of a new prices. I'm seeing prices ranging from 1800 to 3800 (scams) for your models. I'd wager it's more likely around ~1800. So after eBay fees you're going to be lucky to get 1500-1800. Assuming of course you don't get scammed - which at point you lose everything. If you go on CL you can probably get around ~2000.