How much data are you using on LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mohsy90, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

As we approach the 1 month mark since the iPhone 5 was released (September 21st), I'm curious to find out how much data owners have used through their LTE network in the past month. Obviously it will vary, so if you can, please describe specifically what you use it for and how often?

Asking because I'd like to get a better idea of what plan to get.

Thanks

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I haven't tracked mine since my experience with my LTE Androids has been just fine. AT&T has not throttled me and I use it a lot. Yet that said it's important to note that my plans are the old grandfathered unlimited's and they've been the best investment I've made.

3. mohsy90 thread starter macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Any idea how many gigabytes you've used on your iPhone 5 in the past month. I am currently on Verizon's unlimited grandfathered plan, but I've never surpassed 2GB of data with my iPhone 4. I'm thinking of selling this plan and starting a new share everything plan, where I'd actually save money. I calculated that I'd have to use more than 10GB to actually benefit from the unlimited plan. I hear that LTE just flies through data. So any detailed info on data usage would be much appreciated

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Me and my wife got 5s on launch day and a 2gb plan. Together we are just under 1gb so far. We do not stream anything but we both use weather apps, maps for turn by turn directions on an occasional basis, and a bunch of emails. I think the 2gb plan will work for us long term.

5. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

If you're grandfathered, stay grandfathered. I don't care what anyone says in this forum, LTE is a data whore. I've blasted through 5 GB's and I have a week left on my 6 GB plan. And I don't do anything stupid like download movies or anything. Just by browsing different forums, Facebook, that's about it...

6. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

i work on a construction site with no wifi. i stream siriusxm all day, watch nfl network on coffee break and lunch, and play games at my in-laws that have ridiculously slow internet so i leave lte on. i use wifi at home.

Attached Files:

7. mohsy90 thread starter macrumors 65816

mohsy90

damn, thats some serious data usage

8. GetSwole37 macrumors member

I just checked mine. 1.8 GB down. 221mb up.
    Grandfathered w unlimited for $30 and $10 for 1000 text. W iMessage, never get charged for extra texts

9. cschmelz macrumors 6502

I thought I was a heavy phone user, but I don't watch videos on my phone (use my iPad with a separate data connection for that)

So far this month with a end of cycle at 10/22 (aka soon) I've used 0.8gb of my 2gb allocation!

Wow..I need to use MORE data!

10. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Got a 4GB shared data with my gf with 5's, we're at 2.702/4GB so far. We use wifi at the house and mostly social networking, emails and web browsing with LTE.

11. tsduke macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. Still on my 4S and trying to decide between keeping unlimited and getting a subsidized 5. I don't use a lot of data now, but concerned I will on LTE. I only use about 1gb now.

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ditto. Husband and I are on wifi at work, and at home and I'd say we will come in under 1gb. the 2gb plan will work fine on months we have to tether even.

13. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Using about 1gb a week. Im watching more videos than usual just because I can. That will most likely back off a bit. I upped it to 5gb when I got the 5. It'll probably be about right. I'll probably get put in a situation about once a month where I'll want to watch an entire sporting event on my phone.

14. andrewnguyener macrumors member

Since launch, I've used less than a gig. I'm usually within wifi range is probably the reason why. LTE is handy to have though. It's so fast when I do get the chance to use it.

15. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Just checked I've used 6.2. I've had the phone a week. For the month I've used 8.5. I had a gs3 before. I stream pandora in my car. And I uses iTunes Match.

16. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

In the past I had never gone over 750mb per month on my 4 even after my plan recently went up from 1G to 6G. I just gone over 1G for the first time, I have only had my 5 for a little over 2 weeks and I still have a week to go in my billing cycle.

17. big samm macrumors 65816

Ive used this much... My billing cycle started on october 10 and finishes on November 9. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350617653.222676.jpg

18. cngrevolution macrumors member

Nice! I use prolly on average 20-30gb a month myself. But now with the 5 who knows. So far I've used about 12gb and I have what 12 days to go I think.

19. AznTakumi macrumors regular

I used 3 gb so far and my bill just restarted on the 11...

20. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Used about 8GB for the month, got bout 7 more days in my cycle. THIS is why you have unlimited.

Every GB over 2 is $15 in my pocket, already gotten almost 90$ worth of data. The iPhone will pay for itself in 5 months.

21. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I dont know I have the grandfathered plan :D
    I dont check for these things lol :cool:

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I shelved it, there were too many things I didn't like, so I've returned to my truly excellent 4S. I am so glad I kept it.

I did check my LTE usage from my SGS 3. I checked the prior two months and I've been using 3.2GB on average.

23. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I'm not using so much data as I am mostly always around wifi. Use LTE in my car and when in put and about shopping or doing Arron's.

I like to turn off LTE if I happen to need to watch a video or something important that takes a lot of MB. When it comes to browsing/using various apps that uses the data I keep LTE on as it doesn't take so much data.

24. ncruzpr macrumors newbie

2.3 GB of my 3.0 GB plan in 13 cycle days...which is ridiculous since I only do the basic browsing, FB and Twitter, Instagram and some Youtube (not too much). I have done absolutely no streaming.

AT&T LTE is killing me, there is something seriously up with a data leak.

25. mohsy90 thread starter macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Thanks for the replies. Looks like ill stick to my grandfathered.