How much data do health tracking apps like Health and My Fitness Pal use?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by drysdale86, Apr 27, 2016.

1. drysdale86 macrumors newbie

drysdale86

I'm switching from an unlimited data plan to a 4GB monthly data plan. For the most part this won't be an issue as I'll just use Wi-Fi when I'm at home, but I'm wondering about apps like Health and My Fitness Pal which constantly track steps/distance/calories etc.

I have a feeling they use very little data as they just use the gyroscope/sensors within the phone and My Fitness Pal uses data from the Apple Health app.

But does anyone have a definitive answer?

How much cellular data would My Fitness Pal and Health use?

I use My Fitness Pal a lot to log meals/calories/macros and use it combined with Health to track steps/distance/calories. I guess the only real data it uses is to uses the internet to find food items that are logged already by someone else and I can't imagine it uses very much to do that.

2. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

The health app doesn't use any data as far as I've seen. It is only used to store your data on the phone. It's just a repository and does not sync to any other devices.

I used to use My Fitness Pal and it uses very very little data. It's equivalent to searching the internet but without loading any web pages, photos, or formatting. So I'd say like probably no different than the amount of data you use for sending an iMessage. It's neglegable.