How much data do you go through in 1 month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicknicknickh, Sep 1, 2012.

?

How much data do you consume?

1. Less than 500mb

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. 500MB+

21 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. 1GB+

26 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. 2GB+

25 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. 4GB+

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. 5GB+

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. 10GB+

10 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

I was wondering how much data people consume in a month. On my old android I consume about 500mb and I have unlimited. I would stream, I would but the speed is so slow.

Anyways with the iphone 5 (which I am getting) I know I will download more and I am wondering which share plan to get..

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Traveling: 2GB+
    At Home: 500MB+

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

4. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Depends on what i'm doing at the time.

I have a gig of data on my plan with O2, but i've been staying home a lot recently and therefore been using home broadband data via Wifi. I think last month i only used 178MB.

However, I have been on patches over the last year where i've struggled to keep within my gig limit, and have had to wait till i got home to download a particularly large app.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It might be helpful if you ask people to also post what phone they're using and what carrier they're on.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would be me on my AT&T unlimited plan with throttling. The first 3GB go by within TW first week and the rest trickles in. Lots of media streaming, file downloads, and web browsing. No tethering.

7. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

8. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I'm in the lower usage group. I just checked yesterday since I'm deciding what to do for a new plan. From Jan 2011-Aug 2012 there was only two times I broke the 550MB mark.

I'm with AT&T but out of contract at the moment. I will be getting the new iPhone but can't decide which plan to go with. I have the 3GB plan with a grandfathered $5/200 messages. I want to be able to tether and increase my text allowance but I don't need additional data. I use GV Mobile+ for when I'm getting close to my limit but I really don't like bouncing back and forth between native texts and GV.

There's the new entry level share plan for $85 that gives 1GB of data and allows FaceTime and unlimited texts. It seems good but with tethering I'd be concerned it may not be enough. The 4GB share plan is more than I want to spend but would definitely over all the bases. There's still the 5GB with tethering which doesn't allow FaceTime (not a deal breaker) and texts would remain the same.

I don't stream movies or TV shows. If I'm going to watch something I load it onto my iPhone or iPad ahead of time. Most of the time I update apps from my computer and sync so that's not a concern. Websites, occasional music streaming, emailing photos and YouTube videos and games that sync and save data through iCloud make up the majority of my data use.

Verizon offers a 2GB share plan but if I'm not on LTE there's no simultaneous data/voice and their 3G speeds, in my area, are not that good compared to AT&T.

At least I have a few weeks to figure it out. :)

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Unlimited LTE with unlimited tethering (Verizon), 10GB can be done in a day. The last WoW patch caused me to go past this.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Usually less than 500MB. I use wifi whenever possible.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

iPhone 4s

Uk network : 02.

Nearly 1 gb each month.

12. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

Got an array of answers seems that I may be able to survive on the 2GB plan.. Wish I had the heart to spend 700 dollars on a unsubsidized phone and continue with unlimited..

Also if their is another smartphone on this account with unlimited will my phone require that phone to also switch to the share plan?

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Usually 3-4Gb+. I have a 6Gb plan on HSPA+ so I'm able to do a lot of browsing and streaming which is useful since commuting to and from school or work takes 1-2 hours a day.

14. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I used to use an average of 1.2 gb of data. Then I started using wifi more efficiently.. At work, at home, McDonald's Dunkin donuts, etc. and now I'm down to an average of 256mb each month with heavy data usage.

15. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I use wifi pretty much whenever I'm stationary someplace. Like home, gf's house, etc. but put and about I almost always use 3G without any real worrying about usage. I still only end up using like ~400-600 MB.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I didn't bother to vote because there's no option to vote 3GB. Seriously? :rolleyes:

17. ATLCarGuy macrumors newbie

I usually use 4-5GB/month. I spend a lot of time in the car, and love streaming podcasts on iTunes and music on Pandora.

I have the AT&T 3GB plan, so going over costs me $10 for each additional GB. Sometimes I only use 2GB, but most of the time I use 4-5. The extra $20/month is worth it to me.

18. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

How do you update the apps from the computer?

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Less than 500 MB in a typical month, so I'm on a 500 MB plan. When travelling I can use more, and in that case I'll bump my plan up to a bigger one for the month.

----------

Click "Apps" in the iTunes sidebar, press Check for Updates in the bottom right, then re-sync the phone once the downloads are complete.

21. Tech198 macrumors G4

Not enough..

I don't use 3G hardly ever.. I would say mine is even <1MB a month.

22. nw9 macrumors regular

Have you never downloaded or installed apps through iTunes on your computer? All you have to do is sign in to the iTunes store on your computer and then in your apps section near the top you'll see how many apps have available updates. Click on the apps section and download the updates you want. The next time you sync your iPhone to your computer using iTunes it will install all the updates you downloaded.

I prefer using my computer to download all iPhone app updates because it doesn't use up my iPhone's monthly cellular data. I don't have WiFi at home so I have to do it this way to save on cellular data. I also like backing up my iPhone to my computer on a regular basis anyway so it was natural for me to just do all app updates on iTunes on my computer.

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

24. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h