How much data do you use monthly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesk1llerz, Dec 5, 2011.

1. thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

The title sayes it all how much data do you use monthly and what plan are you signed up for? And what you use data for? Im curious because I'm ready to upgrade soon and would like to have some examples not just the AT&T calculator
    Thanks for replies in advance
    - sk1llz
    P.S. just a very rough estimate is fine no need for details unless you want to

2. adamtheturtle macrumors member

I have a 500 MB limit and I come close every month. This is muchly Spotify's fault.

3. film major macrumors member

200 mb on AT&T. I have wifi at work and at home so I have never gone over that. I have come very close but never over it.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

~1.5GB. Mostly email/web, very little music streaming, and never any video streaming. I never have wifi enabled because it will override 3G even if the signal or connection speed is weak, which amounts to higher than average data use I'm sure. I've also noticed that since switching to iOS5 my data use is higher (used to be in the ~1GB range). Most likely due to iCloud.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have been around 3GB for a while. <3 unlimited plan :)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

On average, 100-150MB. 90% of the time I am on WiFi; not that it matters much because I have the AT&T unlimited plan.:p

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No video, I only stream pandora at they gym and when I am skating on the weekends. Mostly just apps, and light web browsing,, and shopping and I do between 2 and 3.5 gigs a month on the 4s on the 4 I was only doing about 1.8 gigs a month.

That's why I think the current charges for data are highway robbery, now once we have 4g like the modern phones have then we will go through 2 gigs a day.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is faulty logic. Unless you actually increase the amount of browsing you do, you will not be increasing your data consumption.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Actually in my case it is not faulty. I have a sling box and the data in SoCal is bad so it just chops and chops. That combined with the tiny screen make for a bad watching setup. I could take the tiny screen if it would run smoothly. So for me I will use more data when their is better speed.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

On average, I only used about 1GB and that's with streaming audio through PandoraOne (not video). But now with the 4S, I've been using Spotify and iTunes Match and the occasional Netflix video. All are data hungry. By no means do limit myself, but it's either I don't stay without WiFi or done using the app. My plan is 4GB with tether option through AT&T, I use about 1.5GB. I needed to let go of my "unlimited" since there hasn't been a point where I've gone over 4GB. And the allowed, built-in tethering is a lot better.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Ok, you are limited by a congested network then... I think you know very well what I meant. When the masses get on LTE, data consumption isn't magically going to go up. For the vast amount of people streaming works fine on 3G. It will works equally fine on LTE. Make sense?

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes, and I agree my 2 gig a day was high. But I think you also have to take into consideration that as we move into a 4g data structure the apps will take advantage of that and we will get more innovation that will use more bandwidth.

However yes, if we had 4g right now today and we used the same apps with the same browsing habits then yes our data would stay the same.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'd be willing to bet that the current prices and caps on data won't be permanent. Verizon is currently offering twice (4gb versus 2gg) the data for their $30 plan.

14. esploded macrumors regular

I need some help on this topic.

I don't understand what is using up so much of my data.
    In five days, I've used up 200mb, with no audio or video streaming.

I've accidentally downloaded 2 apps on 3G, but that would be under 25mb.
    I've seen maybe 100 web pages, all accounting for 20mb tops.

Can anyone help me?

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would say about 1.5GB on average. This is just regular web browsing, email, very little streaming.

16. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

I'm at 360 mbs with december 13 the end of my billing cycle

17. Lc* macrumors newbie

750GB Limit.. I know this month ive come close because my WiFi bill didt go through so it got cut off.. EVERYTHING was going through my iPhone :p

O2 kindly text warning me I was over 80% of my data allowance which I have NEVER hit since i got my iPhone 4 the week it came out :)

18. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Did you by an chance mean MB or does unlimited cap out at 750 GB:confused::confused:

----------

As I have done some research on this matter my best guess would be a app constantly updating in the background (mail or weather for example) some games need to be connected to the Internet to function as well these are the only to reasons I can think of hope this helps

19. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

500MB is the average amount I use. I've used 300MB in some months and 1GB in another, but they average out to about 500MB.

20. Almy macrumors 6502

I use about 1.5gig each month. No streaming or videos but LOTS of web browsing. I do a lot of surfing at work where there is no wifi but always have wifi at the house.

21. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I stay under 2GB/month just cause thats my data plan. I'm fortunately able to hook up to wifi quite often and it helps. I'd love an unlimited plan....but....:(